Starbugging VI-VII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Was there a production reason why they lost Red Dwarf? Storywise, the episodes of VI and VII could have happened aboard Red Dwarf. Was it all a way to explain the loss of Holly? Did Hattie quit or was she let go? And is it just me or does the Starbug interior seem to expand to the point where it might as well be Red Dwarf. Psirens particularly goes off into a two-story warehouse part of Starbug that looks a lot like the interior of Red Dwarf.

2. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

There is a really good book that explains all of your questions here. I had it as a kid.

It's called the making of red dwarf (and centres entirely around the making of red dwarf six)!

Essentially it was partly to do with a reboot and a change of direction and partly to deal with the way they underplayed the cat and holly in red dwarf five. Believe it or not, it suggests in the book that the decision was to get rid of one of those characters (so the cat could have been axed instead of holly)!!!

They wanted it to feel confined and claustrophobic- and also it being more dangerous for them as they were low on supplies and easier for them to kill.

Also, if you look at the vast majority of series five, most of it starts out on starbug anyway....

3. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Also they had 2 Red Dwarf models, blew one of them up for Demons and Angels and the other fell of a shelf.

4. Ant E

Correct

5. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

With the crew being more vulnerable and in so much danger in series 6 it really made for such an exciting, enthralling space ride.

I think all of series 2 to 6 is TV perfection but I do wonder whether series 6 might well be the most perfect Red Dwarf series of all.

SweatyChimpBoy and Ant E like this.
  6. Ant E

What about seven?!!!

7. UltraDevotee

I remember when I first watched series 7 twenty years ago I thought it was even better than the first two series. But unfortunately apart from definitely Tikka to Ride, Stoke Me a Clipper and Epideme it simply hasn't stood the test of time IMHO. Those three episodes - all fantastic - excepted (notice two of them feature Rimmer), series 7 lacks the line-for-line of immense humour of the previous Rob Grant co-written series. Okay Rimmer is as snobby as Kochanski but she is genuinely clever and posh whereas Rimmer is not really, so I found her character a bit alienating and not funny like Rimmer.

For me the very finest series still have to be 2-6 followed closely behind by 11 and maybe 10 a bit further behind.

Goit_84 likes this.
  8. starbug489

starbug489 Skutter

What about Blue? You can't discount the Munchkin song, IMO...

9. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I loved the use of Starbug in Series 6, it made the show standout and as someone said it's close to perfection. As a kid I tried building my own Starbug out of Lego, but I didn't have any green so it was black and grey.
    Starbug is such an awesome design and I'm glad it got used more for Series 6.

10. UltraDevotee

Again, like with Only the Good... when I rewatched this ep. 2 years ago I enjoyed it somewhat more and yes the Munchkin song is one of the all time greatest moments in RD history. But for me it is a good but not great episode of RD because the plot while not anywhere near as haphazard as the terrible half of series 8, is still slightly too much like a series of sketches. Still like I said a good episode though not one of the standouts IMHO.