STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Thanks for that talkie, although hope ur not wrong once again

2. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

its looking good though, cant smegging wait!:P

3. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'm only raising one eyebrow cautiously at this news. Once we get solid news then I'll raise the other one.

4. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

:-D

5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Will that be the full Roger Moore double eyebrow raise Stephen?

6. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Sounds promising, hopefully we'll get an announcement soon. Time for an episode a week starting with The End.

7. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I'm not going to get over excited but this sounds hopeful. X was very good and well received so XI looks dead set. Only thing that concerns me is please no Kochanski. Maybe one episode to resolve the story about her disappearance before BTE but that's enough if any. Also as long as there are no plot holes and the budget can stretch, some more off ship locations and also some heavier science fiction with a few more eps like Entangled. Though the series 1/2-esque episodes in X were decent I would like to see further progress with the sci fi like the difference between I and II and IV, V and VI.

8. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I'd just love to see Starbug back as their ship of choice when venturing away from Red Dwarf and the classic Starbug cockpit and mid-section returning. Not a fan of Blue Midget. Oh, and some proper model shots of Starbug entering/returning to RD and some nice fly-by's, not the "static ship being zoomed out from to create the effect of flying" type stuff we got at some points in X.

9. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

YES exactly get starbug and the original cockpit and original taking offs from the dwarf.

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

To be fair, Starbug WAS their ship of choice in Series X - it's what they used to check out the Trojan, and what Lister took to the BEGG planet. In-story, the only reason for it being Blue Midget in The Beginning was that due to the attack on the ship, they couldn't get to the cargo bay where Starbug was held - BM was nearer.

(Off-screen, obviously, the reason for having Blue Midget and not Starbug was that Starbug has a MUCH more complex, not to mention visually iconic, interior - and owing to both space and budgetary restrictions, it was impractical to build a Starbug cockpit for that one episode. It was much easier to redress the Drive Room with a load of blue stuff to create the Midget, since that ship has had far less consistency over the years in how the cockpit's supposed to look anyway.)

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i'd rather see starbug back also

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

At the recording Mr. Naylor said it was because Starbug was having an MOT! :P

13. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I pretty much figured that and it is a shame budget restrictions meant we didn't get any Starbug interior stuff at all in X, not just for The Beginning. Hopefully now for XI we can get something as the set for Blue Midget/Drive Room is still there and can be used permanently as the drive room now (and redressed to make it look less like a cockpit!) and if UKTV provide a similar budget for XI as they did for X then hopefully a Starbug cockpit and maybe even a mid-section can be made also, space providing! We don't really need a drive room anyway, the majority of the conversations the guys had there probably could have been done in the bunk room sitting around the table or in the bunks themselves.

14. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

A brief blog from Rob Llewellyn about Red Dwarf XI, basically saying what we all know already but encouraging that it still looks like happening.

http://llewblog.squarespace.com/red-dwarf/

15. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

i want to get the scale of red dwarf in xi this time lets see more of the ship its huge.:eek:

16. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001269/red_dwarf_xi_11_new_series_in_development/

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Thanks for that suekay87, looks like we'll probably wont see the results much before this time next year at the earliest, still that's finally something reasonably concrete to go on.

18. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

This is good news.

19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's amazing how the news outlets can suddenly pick up on Robert's blog post as if it's saying anything new at all. It isn't. The situation is exactly the same as it was months ago - the "officially in development" line only comes from Robert's blog, nowhere else!

From the boss man himself on Twitter: Getting tweets claiming Red Dwarf XI is commissioned. Not true. Not yet.

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah well it's a bit of extra publicity, innit? ;-)

I appreciate that what Bobby said wasn't entirely accurate in the official sense. But I would certainly *hope* that Doug is currently working on scripts that could potentially be used for series 11 at this point. And if so I suppose one could argue that the series is therefore "in development" (or the scripts at least)...but is not officially commissioned yet. But yeah the wording is important really.

I seem to recall a similar thing happening during the build up to the official series X confirmation. It was unofficially "confirmed" by the cast long before the official announcement. But hey lets face it, it wouldn't feel like a proper RD series build up without Bobby blabbing too soon, would it? :lol:

Although for what its worth that particular blog does appear to have been removed now. Albeit perhaps a tad too late, as various repeaters who call themselves journalists have already assumed it to be official without doing any further research. But what else is new?

On the one hand I'm happy that the cast are so convinced it's going to happen. But if it fails to be commissioned (Which I seriously doubt)? Well, then of course we protest - Firefly fan stylee!:

"What do we want? (RED DWARF!) When do we want it? (well, there's really no rush old chaps but some time this century would be nice.)" ;-)

Ehem, sorry, I'll get me (brown)coat. ;-)