STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Yes, I agree. To me the slide happened after series VI. Without Rimmer it just didn't work, then series VIII, whilst having some good dialogue in the cell between Rimmer and Lister it really was weak apart from that. BTE was yet another step down and although it was good to see them back after such a long wait I was in two minds whether the wait was worth it! Series X is back up to what it should be. It may not be quite as good as series I, II, and VI, but it still stands up well on its own and I'm very glad they made it!

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well, I think series I and II are the best, so what do I know?

3. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I and II ARE the best.

Closely followed by IV and X :-D

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

You know that I and II are the best...:roll:

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:-D Well I like VII, and in that I think I definitely am strange. I don't know what filter they used on the cameras or even if they switched to film for this series, but I thought it had a great look and some wonderful episodes, despite Rimmer's absence.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i don't mind series 7 even though it has some issues for me but i think alot of the problems were not dougs fault and he did the best he could with what he had

series 8 i think there was no excuse for at all... what was doug thinking there?!!

BTE has some redeeming elements but the plot is like a stetch on comic relief

Series X is like Series 7 for me it has issues but its a step up from the last 2 efforts even though i do think doug is more to blame for the mistakes this time then he was in series 7

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I also like S8 - it was the last 'proper' series as far as I'm concerned. Rimmer was back (properly) and it had some good old fashioned bunk bickering just like in S1 and 2.

I also kind of liked the whole crew being back - despite the fact that my love for S1 and 2 is precisely because it's just Listy and Rimmsey. In fact I often wonder how RD would have turned out if the crew had never died. I like the thought of all the fun Lister could have got up to with Peterson, Shelby and Chen. Unfortunately, those characters were hardly used when they had the chance in S8.

8. simulant37

It certainly was a 'proper' series, a stupid hidden prison on the ship...pathetic...absolute drivel...vomit inducing...the appalling Ricky Grover..Kryten being classified as female for some stupid reason...hate hate hate it!

9. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I agree with your thoughts on series 7 here, but I disagree with ur comments on series 8.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

On the subject of series 8, I caught a bit of Strictly Come Dancing the other day and noticed that Kill Crazy himself (Jake Wood) is taking part this year.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

What are you talking about, you mad person? Ricky Grover is brilliant and a much neglected actor.

12. simulant37

Not neglected enough...appalling...:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: That terrible comedy character Bulla! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

13. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

About as much as me, I guess, since I agree with you. It's almost as if I and II are a separate, different series, though. I love how the bleak situation is always there, even when the jokes were great. It really seems like science fiction, rather than an SF-based sitcom.

VII is a strange, special case. You have to love the creature called Red Dwarf in spite of warts and flaws, to appreciate VII. It's a return to that moodier, darker tone of I and II. It also is full of problems, but the greatness in it wins out, I think.

VIII was loaded with much worse problems. In the end, though, it's Red Dwarf. That's what matters. It qualifies as RD.

I haven't had a chance to see what they're calling series X. (Back to Earth is an episode, which easily could have been shown without splitting it in three; it shouldn't be called an entire series.)

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Exactly my sentiments. I love the feeling of isolation and the drab, industrial sets - a 'happy accident', I suspect, due to the budget. I also love the fact that it's very character based rather than plot driven. There's a lot of meaningless bunk bickering about their situation and other trivial matters... and I love it because of all that. I love the sense of boredom and lack of incidents - just two guys, stuck in space trying to make the best of their lot.

Agree again. As I already said, the 'look' of VII is gorgeous and it actually comes as quite a disappointment when they try to blend the start of VIII with the end of VII, by shooting the remainder of the scene. That lovely dark, grainy tone has suddenly gone and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

15. simulant37

Oh well, this thread is wide off topic...thanks to Doug & co with their lack of info...:roll::roll::roll::roll:

16. magnusgreel

Having no news about Red Dwarf XI on this thread is perfectly in keeping with the theme of it, "'STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??'" If anyone actually had news, it would be OT...

17. simulant37

Maybe, but the question mark indicates the title is asking the question if there is "'STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??'" so to post a response which includes news would not necessarily be Off topic...if you please

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

And by that logic, Red Dwarf discussion in general 'would not necessarily be Off topic...if you please'.

19. magnusgreel

I was just joking.

20. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

Someone on facebook has mentioned that they have been to Cardiff Comic Con and at the Red Dwarf stars Q&A session, the stars said that RD XI will be filmed end of 2015 and will consist of 12 episodes.