STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Not too mention how awesome an experience it is for the audience members who are lucky enough to attend.

That's precisely my argument - what's the point of the studio audience if it now exists just for geeks and freaks to say to their mates: "I got to see the Dwarf being filmed! Am I not, like, so coool!"

2. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I don't blame the lack of studio audience at all for BTE being unfunny. I blame the script and story for that.

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

That's not it though. It helps comic timing and pacing, and prevents lines being delivered and thus missed when the audience at home is laughing.

And as someone else mentioned it acts like a virtuous circle in buoying the actors up and helping them raise their game.

If you look at for instance the build up to the climax of the moose gag in Trojan, I don't think they could do that (starting with Lister, then Kryten, then finally Cat) without the audience adding the natural laugh track. Certainly Cat's excellent delivery at the end would be nowhere near as funny. The actors would be guessing when to stop to allow the peeps to laugh. :-)

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I wonder how the audience would have reacted to the Rimmer/Lister kiss if it was done in front of studio audience?

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It doesn't...:roll:

Or maybe you are jealous you never got to be part "of the studio audience" so you could tell your mates "I got to see the Dwarf being filmed! Am I not, like, so coool!"...:roll:

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I agree to a large extent. The studio audience in a couple of episodes from S2 nearly ruined it, with their OTT laughter. I quite like the idea of not only the absence of a live studio audience, but the omission of a laughter track altogether.

7. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I still don't think that discounts all the positives that the cast themselves have to gain from performing in front of a live audience. Sure it's fun for the attendees, but I don't think that's the REASON for doing it.

8. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

The studio audience experience is a wonderful way for people, not just the geeks and freaks as you refer to some of them, to get the chance to see how a TV show is filmed and to see the actors of which a lot of people don't get the chance to see at all. Having a studio audience also hypes up a series (without spoiling it for othes!) before it goes out on air.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I honestly never thought I'd see a conversation about Red Dwarf and studio audiences where some people were saying they thought the show shouldn't have one!

10. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Haha, Agreed. It had me running for my glasses as I thought I was reading wrongly.

11. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I think it's an important topic to explore in the world of RD :-)

12. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

I knew someone would be, but seeing as I go months between logins, I completely lost the momentum of that thought and conversation. Next time series VIII gets its annual viewing I'll return to that thread and followup. So... look for a reply in the next six months. :-)

13. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Only joking..:-)

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Only joking..:-)

15. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

The series with a studio audience tended to be the strongest apart from half of VIII. The audience brings out much more from the actors in terms of comic timing and performance. It adds significantly to the humour of the show so for me a studio audience is vital for XI if it goes ahead.

16. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Crazy Day yesterday, was near Berkshire where I know Chris Barrie lives near there, I was down there
    To pick something up. While I was in a shop I saw a guy that looked familiar he had a similar hat
    And almost identical clothing as Chris wore in the better then life episode when he comes in with the sheep
    Skin leather jack and the silly hat with goggles, I come out couldn't really see him well. But he gets in a amazing v8 corvette stingray must have been a 70's one and just drives off in it, some other guy is with him, Steve McQueen school of driving from what I see...Nutter lol

Later in the day I'm on this of road track not a bad day fields all around, I look up I'm in this 3. Lt Capri it still goes, I look up my gf was with me she says "look it's that Stingray car again" he speeds passed doing about well he was going fast...pipping his horn at me he's got Jethro Tull on full blast with top down, I look at him and his mate, I'm more or less sure 90% sure this is Chris Barrie..and a guy that looks identical to man that played Dave Lister.

I had know chance of following them, so we have lunch at a pub, I'm thinking I'm missed my chance if it was them, later I'm coming up to some traffic lights I see the corvette stringray again, he's got the top down, I thought right a manage to pull up next to him, it's Chris And Craig...I've only got a few seconds before we drive off..what do I doI wind the window down as he's got the roof off I shout" Chris.... Graig Red DWARF!!!" Chris laughs graig shouts SMEG!! They drive off. :-D:-D:-D

Awesomeness

17. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Are you having a laugh or was this real ? If real, brilliant.

18. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Real to be honest, I'm still in shock was sort of like walking passed John Lennon, then going to a library and Elvis is Sat down reading a book. Just feel lucky really. Right time right place, that tells me something his happening though which is good.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I honestly never thought I'd see it either Seb P...:shock:

20. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I thought richard Naylors red dwarf related tweet today was cool