STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well sure, if you wanna get technical. That said that seems to be the way Doug Naylor has chosen to announce news of that sort in the past, so if he does....then that's likely to be the best bet.

2. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Hopefully, they'll have something to announce at DJ.

3. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

The time as past...just FORGET IT¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡:x:x:x

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Hardly. Let's not forget that there was over a decade between 8 and BtE, whilst I share a sense of frustration at the lack of any news or apparent progress, I don't get the antagonistic attitude here which seems quite unnecessary.

5. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Red dwarf came back with style with x and brought it back into the public eye, they should have kept it up and brought series 11 out the year after. Instead nothing as happened the cast are even older now too, the goal should be to get 11 out asap, there just was no determination in that from Doug it seems.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

As Derek said above, RDX arrived with a big push, it is not incorrect to assume it was meant to herald a return of the show on a regular basis. What went wrong?!? Why has there not been even any confirmed news about a new series?!? The momentum has been lost! Are we to wait another decade?!? RIP RED DWARF! :roll:

7. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yes well said.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Whilst that would have been preferable IMO too, the cast now have different commitments and juggling those was clearly going to be a bit more challenging than back in the early 90s when for the most part Red Dwarf was all they had. I don't think the gap in time is a big issue really, I just find the lack of any kind of news at all very frustrating.

4 or 5 years for a new series isn't a problem for me, but at this stage we've had about 3 years of silence on the subject, except for a handful of unofficial and distinctly premature comments. The goal should be for a quality series, I'd rather wait for a good series than have had a rushed, poor one.

It clearly was incorrect to make that assumption otherwise something like that would have happened. IIRC a lot of people were happy enough just to see one more proper series, that in the aftermath a further series was mentioned was a bonus but the hopes and wishes of the fanbase aside, I don't think there was any real general expectation of a return to the one-series per year production rates of the early 90s or even regularly produced series. I don't really think the momentum is a big issue necessarily either, although IMO it would clearly have been better done while Red Dwarf was fresher in the general public's mind as a whole.

9. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

The passing of time shouldn`t be that big a problem really. Any new Dwarf now would still get some publicity and on Dave it would only need a million viewers or so to be a decent success.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf stopped being a regular yearly series a long time ago, 1993 infact, then it was 3 years till series 7 and then you had Red Dwarf night which doesn't count as a series but kept fans happy followed by series 8 a year later and then 9 years for back to earth and then 3 years again till 10

in the end its not the most healthy tactic for a popular TV show because it loses its momentum which means it has to be built up again for series 11

i think its gonna happen either way, we will get new dwarf at some point

11. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Danny is tweeting pictures of himself, chris Barrie and Hattie currently all out at dinner. That's sold it for me. Series 11 here we come!

12. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I'm a believer! :-D

13. simulant37

Without Craig & Robert it would seem from that 'evidence'...:roll:

There is also a pic of him on his twitter thing with Mike Edmonds from Maid Marian so I guess on that 'evidence' we have another series of that on the way as well...:roll:

PS - it is ONE picture of him with Chris & Hattie...NOT pictures...:roll:

14. Diet_coke

Robert has indeed joined them for breakfast this morning, picture tweeted by Danny John Jules. Danny is having a nice fry up. So perhaps they have all met to talk about the new red dwarf series in secret.

15. simulant37

Nah, they are probably just staying in the same hotel as they are all appearing at EM Con today...:roll:

16. Diet_coke

Ok, exclude being paid to it for a second.
    Why would they do this if there were no red dwarf future? As if they would spend their sunday talking to a bunch of geeks unless they were advertising the show and getting some promo time.

17. simulant37

Err, you cannot "exclude being paid"..that IS why they do it. Look at all the other guests on these cons, they haven't all got a new show to advertise...:roll:

18. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Simulant is absolutely right in this instance.

Money is the sole reason they do it. The same with cast members of dozens of other shows/movies (most of which have no chance of returning).

19. harry_swagger

harry_swagger Second Technician

How people know there will be no new series? Is it true?

20. simulant37

It is looking increasingly likely...the lack of any news, even that RDXI is in the planning stage does not bode well James The Great...:roll: