STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Well, here we are debating is it going to happen, when is it going to happen... All from one little tweet.
    Point being, things get blown out of proportion.
    If he'd have said "I've just read the new script for red dwarf" people would have taken that as absolute official word.
    Whereas, although it's probably 90% likely as far as the writers, producers, cast are concerned. They couldn't officially say that's the case until the distributor confirms that 100% this is signed and sealed.
    However in my opinion with the cast leaving clues I'd say it's more than likely to happen.
    I'd also think that expecting a new series next year would be pushing it. I'd expect it more likely for 2015, which I'd personally consider to be a fair expectation.

2. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

yes it might be made next year, but wont hit screens till the year after..:-(:-(:x

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I broadly agree.

I reckon that at this stage there's no realistic chance of RDXI in 2014 and if I were to hazard a guess I'd say that the earliest we might expect to see it hit our screens now would be autumn 2015.

The problem is that people are naturally going to get excited about relatively trivial little bits of information like this because we have had nothing official since Dimension Jump except to say that nothing has really changed since then and even then all that was really said was that everyone involved seemed interested in another series. Personally, while I do find posts like Richard's interesting, I'm not getting my hopes up until there's something a bit more concrete to go on.

4. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

BBC TWO is celebrating it's 50th anniversary next year and some shows are participating in the celebrations. I wonder if Red Dwarf will be included?

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Apart from the fact we had no confirmation they could start pretty early next year (apparently it would take 3 months to complete I believe someone said while they were making series X) then we could get it in October/November

So I wouldn't Lose hope just yet

As for the scripts doug wrote new ones in a weekend for red dwarf X so the scripts ain't an issue I can see that would hold back filming

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Wasn't the script (IIRC it was a script rather than multiple scripts) that Doug had to re-write in a weekend the one for "Dear Dave", which seems to be generally regarded as the weakest episode of Series X though? Personally I'd rather things weren't done that hastily and in any case as I've said he might be able to rush through a script in a weekend, but at this point it's apparently taken over a year to do the first draft of the first episode... Even taking Dear Dave into account that doesn't average out too well time-wise.

We could see Series XI by next year in theory, but in practice I think it's highly unlikely that those involved would be able to clear their other commitments in order to start filming in time, even ignoring the matter that there has been very little progress reported with regards to the writing for it and that's still assuming that the script concerned is a Doug Naylor RDXI script, it's still entirely possible (If admittedly highly unlikely) that it's neither. There's been no hint of any more progress in other Twitter feeds either whilst previously most of the main actors have posted excitedly and as it turned out prematurely about Series XI.

Similarly whilst it possibly could be all done in three months I'm sure (Well, I'll take your word for it anyway), in practice with all the pre-production and post-production work Series X took much longer that to get onto our screens and with trying to arrange things around when all of the actors are available again that will inevitably add extra time onto that "3 month" time period too.

I'm confident that Series XI will not happen any earlier than 2015 if it happens at all, in fact I'd be willing to bet money on it. I'd be delighted if that statement ends up being proven wrong, but I really don't think it will be.

7. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I agree with Simon.
    I found "talkies" expectations a bit misleading.

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

OK folks, just to throw this one into the mix... :twisted:

Mr. Naylor jr mentioned reading the draft script for the first episode. Why specifically the first one, as opposed to an episode which could fit in at any point? Perhaps it is called 'The Beginning Pt 2 - Hogey's Duel Through Time and Space'

Well Hogey did appear right at the end didn't he...

Mwahahahha:twisted:

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I would imagine that it's quite possibly the first episode as in the first episode that has been written so far rather than necessarily Series XI Episode I. There doesn't tend to be too strong a story arc between episodes with Red Dwarf, for example you could have shuffled most of Series X's episodes without having much of an impact on how the Series as a whole went (Except probably The Beginning).

10. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Kill Hogey off he's a loser.:x

11. UrbanCommando

UrbanCommando Skutter

It would be nice to see at least some serialized elements to RD XI.

12. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

Him being a 'loser' is not really a reason to kill him off otherwise you would have to kill off Rimmer and possibly Lister, Cat and Kryten as they're hardly winners.

13. Strat-tastic

I think Hogey qualifies as a goodie, so you can't really bump him off.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That didn't seem to protect Irene Edgington from a rather unpleasant end though.

15. Strat-tastic

Good point :-)

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

just seen this

http://www.wow247.co.uk/blog/2013/12/19/craig-charles-interview-47933/

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Excellent news, it's a step or two in the right direction at least. :-D Thanks for sharing that one.

18. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Hooray!

(yes, I de-lurked to say that)

Now I've just got to keep my eyes out for the studio audience tickets this time :-D

19. UrbanCommando

UrbanCommando Skutter

Great interview too!

20. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Why does that sound familiar? :?