STILL" NO" RED DWARF XI NEWS??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's something I've thought about, actually. I don't think there'd ever be scope for putting comments on the main site itself (just too much of a hassle in terms of moderation, too much scope for potential problems), but linking news posts to their own forum threads, so there can be convenient ready-made places for discussion of each topic, is something I've considered. Although that doesn't solve the problem of having to sign up to post, of course - but due to the volume of traffic we get on the site, unregistered discussion can probably never happen due to the spam we'd have to deal with!

For obvious reasons I'm hoping that the Thing That We're All Hoping There'll Be News About In 2014 will be the catalyst for some refreshing around the site in general, though, so if it seems like something that would work, it might be something we'd think about...

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I have RedDwarf bookmarked and it leads me directly to the main page so I do get to see and read the news and announcments, I'm guessing a lot of others' bookmarks/favorites may link directly to the forum and they may never get to see the news/updates pages. I do think that a forum sticky for news etc would be a good idea and more people might get to see them and also be able to comment without having to start new threads.

3. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Updated forum software would be great, I think the phpBB stuff would look nicer and work better and allow for more user customisation etc. As it's used on so many big websites it also adds a sense of familiarity and ease of use instead of having this older, seemingly outdated type of software. But yes, either commenting on each article or having a link to a thread for each article would be a good idea I feel.

Oh, and the last line of today's update is interesting...

4. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Oh Seb Seb Seb.... you little teaser! :lol:

5. sundayforsammy

The Nottingham Con sounds like a good event.

As for the teaser, :-) great

6. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

hope we see More of Ace...and see what ever happened to the series 1 to 7 Rimmer.?:x:x

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Really hope any new show keeps away from returning characters like Ace, Duane etc.

It would be good to see more alternate versions of the main cast though. . .8)

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

what Akerman?

9. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Half of series 8 I loved including the better episodes with Ackerman (Cassandra/Krytie TV). The other half of 8 I hated so I wonder really because of the poor general critical reception from other fans whether Ackerman should be left behind. If he featured in a really funny, tight script in 11 it could somehow be pulled off but really 8 had such a generally poor reception that maybe it is better to forget the 8 extra cast.

To incorporate 8 back proper into the mythology of the show I would like to see a clever proper resolution to the 8 cliffhanger in 11. Even possibly timey-wimey a la Doctor Who. Something really clever that will link the classic Dwarf to the new Millennium Dwarf. Though if it wasn't resolved I wouldn't be too bothered as long as the new stories were really good. But a resolution to the 8 cliffhanger would be better.

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Ackerman would be good - I'd like to see the "old" Red Dwarf 8 crew returning, as you said, in some space-crazed simulant-enhanced capacity. I got giddy when I first saw shots of Hogey and mistook him for a crazed simulant version of Hollister.

Simmy - agreed, I for one would not like to see the return of Ace and Duane.

11. sundayforsammy

I personally would dislike a return of Ackerman, He was just my all time Red Dwarf most disliked character. I just couldn't get away with it.

12. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I can't remember who ackerman is, all the extra characters from series 8 have blurred into one for me, they were all rubbish.

13. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

the crew of series 8 should have flyed into a big rock like some of the cat race. WE DONT NEED THEM:x:x:x:x:x:x

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I'd rather not see any of the series 8 characters back mostly because i ain't a fan of series 8 and that sadly counts for capt hollister also, not fond of what Doug did with him in Series 8, he become abit like a school headmaster'

but i am guessing Doug wants to distance himself as much as possible from series 8 because if he doesn't he will have to touch apon series 8 aspects that were left unanswered and judging by what he did with The Beginning... i don't think he wants too, i mean there is the whole what happened to nano Rimmer?, why is the ship smaller again?, what happened after series 8? what happened to the crew after they left?

i think we will be lucky if any of them get answered

15. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think at this stage I'd take another 2 series. And then wrap loose ends up in the form of a book.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Ackerman was the prison guard/governor, in Krytie TV it's revealed that he has a glass eye too.

I have to agree, I'd really rather not see any of them back and for me that includes Dennis the Donut boy too.

I'm a little bit more sceptical on this, whilst I'm among those who would like to see an official resolution to the RDVIII cliffhanger to be honest my guess would be that Doug doesn't actually know how to do so, at least not in a satisfactory way so he's taking the safer option by just not bothering. And taking the opportunity to poke a bit of fun at the fans occasionally too.

That may sound harsh but I doubt when Doug made the cliffhanger ending it ever crossed his mind that he might have to write his way out of it one day.

I don't think we'll ever get any official closure on this and we'll just have to accept that in the intervening years unspecified stuff happened and now we are where we are.

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

...and of course Doug replaced it with the cliffhanger that we actually ended up with, which is not compatible with the IMO far superior deleted ending. The deleted one would have worked so much better, I still don't really understand why it was ditched (But then I feel the same about the deleted resolution to Out of Time as well which was replaced by a much weaker version in Tikka to Ride).

As it stands there's obviously a lot left unresolved between 8 and BtE and I'm not at all convinced to be perfectly honest that Doug would tie up all those loose ends and do it well.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

...and of course Doug replaced it with the cliffhanger that we actually ended up with, which is not compatible with the IMO far superior deleted ending. The deleted one would have worked so much better, I still don't really understand why it was ditched (But then I feel the same about the deleted resolution to Out of Time as well which was replaced by a much weaker version in Tikka to Ride).

As it stands there's obviously a lot left unresolved between 8 and BtE and I'm not at all convinced to be perfectly honest that Doug would tie up all those loose ends and do it well.

19. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Given the fact that series 10 had numerous production problems but it turned out so good, I cant wait for news of series 11. Iron a few creases out, production wise and 11 could be even better than the superb 10.

Just hope it all comes together before long. More Dwarf please :-D

20. sundayforsammy

I couldn't of said it better myself. +1 :-D