STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Bringing back Duane Dibbley CANNOT be done in a way that would make me laugh. The character is DONE.

2. simulant37

Why would that be nice?!? I do not understand some peoples obsession with a resolution to a season that was the worst thing to ever happen to RD!

3. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

IMHO Series 8 wasn't all terrible in fact half of it was great and it had reinvented though obviously not all for the better. Though saying that if Doug doesn't ever resolve the series 8 cliffhanger - thinking about it some more - it doesn't really matter either way because X was fine with only the two slight hints at a resolution in saying that Rimmer saved the ship i.e. not a proper resolution. This thing with Kill Crazy coming back in might not be definitely true anyway. But we will see.

4. simulant37

Reinventing?!? Destroying the original concept of the show is NOT reinventing! :x

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I'm with Simmy here, series 8 is varies from lousy to nearly unwatchable and undid the show's core central premise. Frankly the fact it may not be true is the thing I'm holding out for.

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

With series 8 and, let's be honest, season 6, they only brought back Dibley as a gimmick!

Had they not of brought him back in Polymorth 2 or BITR2 then maybe I would get the concept of him making a cameo in a future episodes but I feel the damage has been done. It is odd the way people bypass his appalling return in series 6 though!

It worked brilliantly in series 5. I remember him from that. But that said, Ace returning could work well as I think his season 7 appearance is better than season 4 (or 6!).

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I must admit that, when the first shots of "The Beginning" were released showing Hogey, I did think "oh, they're doing a plot where the crew come back, that'll be cool". I knew the episode featured simulants, but I honestly thought that Hogey, from the single shot we were given, could be Hollister, back in a deranged part-sim form wanting revenge on Rimmer. We saw the other simulants and I thought "maybe they've captured the crew from when they escaped Red Dwarf, enslaved them and turned some of them into evil sims".

And I thought that'd be a cool plot for the episode. An evil, and capable, Hollister, plus the various prison guards and whatnot.

After all, we don't know what happened at the end of series 8. The rest of the crew could still be alive out there. Or they could be dead (again). I presume the nanobots were involved, having modified Red Dwarf (again).

But, in any case, characters. My initial reaction to the possibility of Kill Crazy reappearing was that it wouldn't be good, but thinking about it, why treat it any differently than any other Red Dwarf guest star? He's been in it before, and he's a bit of a nutter. Should work. Why should I be worried about him, and not Rimmer's brother when he appeared in Trojan?

Other characters - can't be arsed with Kochanski, and I felt she didn't bring anything to the table. The reappearance of Dwayne Dibbley - no. As others have said, that character is done with and he's only brought in as a gimmick. After Emohawk they should have left him alone. Ace - only if the story demanded it, as I wouldn't want him to be used as a character who comes in and solves all problems.

An idea then - create different character extremes, especially for Kryten and Lister. What would Kryten be like, for instance, if fitted with spare head 3 (I think that was the one - who was really grouchy and suffering from 'droid rot)?

8. simulant37

Yes I agree with this, I love the idea of alternate versions of the characters, but different ones rather then rehashing what we have seen before. Interested in the rumoured episode in which the characters all become Kryten.

9. Slainmonkey

Yeah Emohawk was 1 lame episode against 5 good one in series VI, but that is one bad episode compared to 7 bad ones and 1 mediocre one in series VIII. Hell as bad as Back in the Red part 2 it wasn't the worst episode in series VIII, part 3 or Pete part 2 are far worse crimes.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Yes Emohawk: Polymorph II was a gimmick episode as they brought back Ace, Duane and the Polymorph and while there is some flaws in the logic i can accept it as a one off nostalgic fun episode and i think the execution was pretty fresh and for the most part was done well.

but then you get the dibbley family which felt like a step to far, is just embarrassing as doug was just banking on the lazy idea that if you thought it was a funny look on danny well lets make them all look like that!

at this point its best just to leave the character alone in the classic vaults

there is no ace to return too as series 7 killed off the original off screen and made another bunch of other rimmers the new ace, the character has been dissected now and the only way to use him again would probably end up more spoofy

another factor with bringing back old characters is that after a while they become caricatures for what made them popular rather then what the original idea was for them

11. simulant37

Leave Ace alone. He was terrible in S7 & the whole idea of Rimmer becoming Ace was pathetic.

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That doesn't contradict that perhaps to rephrase my original comment more accurately the Series VIII Rimmer is not known to survive past the end of Series VIII. With all due respect to Doug here as well, I'd take that with a fair sized pinch of salt since he does have something of a track record of rewriting the character's backstories, just because he said that there and then doesn't mean that it wont change by RDXI and maybe again in RDXII.

Because people have different opinions to you? I don't have an obsession with it at all, it's something I'd like to see because otherwise it leaves a gaping, unresolved hole in the storyline and unlike others it seems I'm not especially happy that it's been left to individual viewers to fill in the blanks themselves, it strikes me as a rather easy cop-out from the writers. Of course I can fill in the blanks myself, but I feel that writing the story is the job of the story's writers.

There's stuff from both VII and VIII that I'm not keen on, but as much as I'd rather Doug hadn't written those moments I'm generally even less keen on Retcons and Reboots and would absolutely despise a Bobby Ewing Shower moment for Red Dwarf, that would be the ultimate in lazy writing and I'd rather just accept that VII, VIII and BtE are a part of the overall story of Red Dwarf than have it turn out to be all a dream, simulation or an extension of a despair/joy/other squid hallucination.

13. Slainmonkey

I'm not saying that the show should make out the series VIII never happened because that would be even more stupid (even more so now after Only the Good being referenced in The Beginning), however the time gap in the show has given Red Dwarf the opportunity to move forward without held back with the baggage of it's past mistakes. I just think the show would be better off just moving on from it and not look back.

14. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think as the majority of people don't like series VIII that much, it is probably best to leave it and move on. I don't think it's as bad as people make out though, personally.

15. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

If Kryten is somehow involved in turning the others into the Kryten Race, I can see a bowl of water, a recharge socket and 4000 volts of direct current in his future once they get turned back to normal.

16. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

point 1, I agree, no more past reveals unless it is something worth mentioning, Doug's writing on this seems a very weak.
    point 2, I have not noticed any racism in red dwarf before.
    point 3, A little slapstick works well, but not pantomime stuff that S8 was based around.

I know it is unlikely but the return of Norman as Holly if some good scripting could be made for him would make my day but if his line are weak then I would rather Holly was not involved. If a good script for Norman can be written then the ball is in Normans court to decide.

17. Clarence

Clarence First Technician

Maybe this could happen if the crew return to the ship from d.n.a. And kryton decides to show the other crew what it's like to be him.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yeah i don't like them either

in series 10 alone he dissected Rimmers backstory with his brother and dad so i really think doug should leave alone now, we don't need any mean't to be cool or funny backstory surprises we just want good stories

19. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Brittas empire back then? How will that work?

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

What'll probably happen is the BBC will commission writers to come up with scripts for a series. They'll then hire actors, directors and assorted other production staff, who will go into a studio and perform the scripts in front of cameras. The recorded material will then be edited and packaged together into a television programme, for broadcast on the BBC's services.