STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

did Red Dwarf end up trying to be a Sci-Fi show with comedy elements rather than a comedy show set in a sci-fi universe?

I feel a lot of the later seasons seemed to lack the easy humour that was present before. In my mind this seemed to start in Season 5 about midway through.

What do you all think?

Despite this, I would be very happy to see the two new Red Dwarf series, or a movie for that matter.

On another topic, I actually dread there being a live studio audience for the simple reason that many in the audience then go online and acts all smug and torments those of us who weren't there. This happened on many RD places i lurked at before Series X and this included here and G&T. This included some Berkshire Hunt making the Jesus of Cesearia episode seem like it would involve a lot more than it did, just to torment the non-audience RD watchers.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That's an issue more with social media then it is with live studio audences, the cast seem to work better when playing off the audiences for a better preformance. I am more then willing to put up with people being smug about seeing episodes in advance if it ultimately makes for better episodes.

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

To be honest I didn't see much of that. I think for the most part, people who saw the live recordings were very respectful and didn't post anything about the episodes they saw, except whether they found them funny. I didn't see any deliberate tormenting. Of course, there was the occasional idiot who would disrespect the non-spoiler policies but they were dealt with quickly. I was really pleased with how the studio audiences handled social media afterwards.

4. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

For me, Red Dwarf always was "mostly comedy, just in a sci-fi universe" - at least up until series 7. Then it tried to reverse, but couldn't find its footing. However, looking back at one of my favourite episodes (Out Of Time), I guess it did get some more sci-fi as it went along, but still stayed mostly comedy.

I guess you could say that every episode had a sci-fi theme or storyline, from Future Echoes to Polymorph to Inquisitor. They did get darker, definitely (Inquisitor, for instance, is nowhere near as "wacky/daft" as Polymorph) but still were primarily about the comedy, until at least series 7 (when it could be said that the comedy changed so much, or became so bad, that the sci-fi elements overshadowed them - and, this being a comedy show, they weren't up to the job of carrying the show - nor should they be).

In the case of a live studio audience, I think it's great that RD is committed to doing this. Yes, you'll get some people going "oh there's this bit we can't reveal but THEY BUILT A FULL-SIZE STARBUG AND IT FLEW AROUND THE PLACE AND STUFF", but I guess you could just try to remember that, well, that stuff probably won't be true. Treat it the same as people talking about their dream RD episodes which would be crap and would never happen, like "oh Cat and Kochanski should get together and have baby Dibbleys" - in other words, ignore.

5. Slainmonkey

I really hope the production of series XI and XII go more smoothly then the did for X now that it's being co-produced by Baby Cow Productions. I mean based on their track record they seems far better equipped to handle a show like Red Dwarf then Dave was alone, maybe that's why Doug has been able to afford The Model Unit to handle the show's effects this time around.

6. Slainmonkey

Hogie was only funny as a one off joke centered around the fact the show had been off the air so long, he was amusing as a reoccurring character who mainly ever showed up in mythical episodes that never happened when the show was off the air. Honestly I doubt we will ever see him again because that joke would be lost if he comes back.

I can't say I agree with you, I can't think of anything I'd rather see less then the return of those horrible series 8 characters, because honestly I can't think of a more ghastly stain on the shows good name then anything series 8. While I know the show can't retcon series 8 out of continuity I think it would be best for the show to look forward and not reference back to those dark times.

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Howard Goodall has tweeted something today about recording something called "Quartet-of-Rimmers". Could it be a new song similar to the Rimmer Experience?

Clickety-click

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

A quartet of Krytens I could understand. Intruiging.

9. Slainmonkey

It's always good to get confirmation that Howard Goodall's on board.

Another thought occurs too since how Red Dwarf X seemed to also borrow some of Howard Goodall's music from a past. Next time maybe they should borrow music from series 3-5 since that's the feel that Doug seems to wanna go with for the new episodes. Tracks like this likely would help add to that feel.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

11. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Perhaps the episode with "4 Krytens" is actually about everyone experiencing what it is like to be everyone else also, so everyone gets to act like Lister, Rimmer & Cat at separate points?

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

^ Kinda hope not, sounds like a scraping of the barrel type idea for comedy

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Actually sounds like Robert may be getting a new kryten costume

14. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

The thought did occur.

Also, that mic is a vocal mic. So who is or are singing? :shock:

15. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Wasn't a huge fan of the Kryten suit or make-up for X, so a redesign is promising. Hopefully they get rid of the huge shoulder rings that were in X. The series 5 & 6 looks were the best for Kryten I think.

16. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I was presuming Howard himself but it could very well be someone else. I think it was Howard who sang the Rimmer Experience Song.

I agree. Already the mask is looking so much better, I look forward to seeing the new suit. It was probably budget constraints for X that impacted on Kryten's design.

17. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Would anyone else like to see the "movie" version of Kryten appear? I shan't post the image (it was posted a few weeks back but removed) but basically it appears to be a more metallic-looking Kryten, with more joints visible and blue lighting. I thought it looked quite excellent (and also a bit grungey) and reminded me more of some sort of action figure, with all the joints visible, which would have helped make him look more robotic.

18. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Amazing new logo from this week's update. Amazing!!

Also had a thought about the four Kryten's and the Quarter of Rimmers. I now think the Dibbley teeth will form part of an episode, my guess is that everyone will turn into Dibbleys too. They'll all take turns to be each other.

19. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Not for Kryten's, let's keep him with the same design he's had throughout. But if they encounter another droid, a 5000 series perhaps, then it might be cool to see.

20. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Have to say, I LOVE the new logo! :-D :-D