STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I think im confused about everyone's love for the new logo...

what exactly is amazing about it? Its the same as always isnt it? Is it the "XI" thats been attached which makes it exciting? Am I looking at the right logo?

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's a reworking of the "classic" sans-serif logo, which hasn't been used since Series IV. The serif version came in from Series V and has been used (with various tweaks) ever since. But this is the one that was all over the books, Smegazines, t-shirts etc. in the early '90s, so it's got huge resonance for a lot of people!

3. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I love it. Its a good nostalgic feel to it. Weird that the current one lasted like 5 series and the new one only was used twice (well 3 times now).

But I love it, Insane how a simple logo can get me so hype.

4. jedshepherd

gotcha, that makes sense!

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The whole Duane Dibbley thing was only ever funny once so I really hope those Dibbley teeth photos was only the cast mucking around, besides I think that might be too big of a spoiler....so I hope that never comes into play.

I will however say that it's by far the best Red Dwarf logo of the revival series'!

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

What a retro Logo for series XI

[​IMG]

While i find it hard not to call this an instant nostalgic winner i hope the next series doesn't depend to much on nostalgia because to much of it was always the issue in my opinion and if they do want to go retro then take us back to when red dwarf was at its best but don't throw loads of unnecessary nostalgia at us

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

if the dibbley teeth really do mean something (which i hope they don't) then Wow come on doug you have already done this and it wasn't great the first time

8. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see that logo! :-D

9. Slainmonkey

I suspect it was only the prototype for the masks, it's colouring might not be the same as it is in the photo.

10. Slainmonkey

I dunno.....honestly the X mask kinda of the series VII mask more then anything which if you recall was also kinda pale. It's just that the X mask had a bigger nose and didn't have the highlighted edges.

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I would have to respectfully disagree. I personally think Duane Dibbly is at his best in Emohawk, which is one of my all-time favourite episodes. I think the fan-service in that ep is well justified! I'm not keen on the Dibbly family scene in series 8 though. Though I'm sure many fans enjoy that scene as much as I enjoy Emohawk.

Would I be happy to see Duane Dibbly again? Yes, if done well. I'd actually love to see a Polymorph 3 too. But again only if done well.

That aside, I must see those Bazookoids have me so excited all 6 of my nipples are tingling. A "monster of the week" episode perhaps? I hope so. but only one. Or two. *Edit* Per series.

12. Slainmonkey

Personally I really didn't like Emohawk, it was one of only 2 episodes from before Rob Grant left that I actually hated. It felt like a very tired trade in on past glories, so understandably I would hope that Doug Nayor isn't going the Dibbly road all over again.

13. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I personally am not wholly against the return of Dibbley. I'd rather Doug not rely on previous storylines/characters just for fan service, but as long as it doesn't feel forced and it's genuinely funny then I can't complain. I also think that the majority of fans want to see him return, Doug is always asked about Dibbley's and Ace Rimmer's return at Dimension Jump and it always receives such a positive response from the audience, so no doubt Doug will consider writing them in again. I'll reserve all judgement until I see the episode (if indeed Dibbley and/or Ace are in it).

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

If Doug is smart he won't use duane again because yeah alot of fans talk about how much they want him back but i am willing to bet most of them would be disappointed with what we get because it can never live up what made it work originally and thats probably why we got the dibbley family

Its like Normans holly for example, people were happy he came back for series 8 and doug obviously tried to turn holly back to his series 2 personality because thats what alot of fans wanted but as much as doug tried we didn't really get that and i don't hear many fans being all that impressed with series 8 holly, infact even now when talk about him coming back its because of series 2 nostalgia

And as for duane dibbley i am pretty sure danny would be happy to do duane again because he enjoys the fan reaction but the show really shouldn't depend on past glories

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

looks like its sorta the first day of filming

[​IMG]

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

17. jedshepherd

this is obvs a play on the Top Gear thing :-)

18. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Clarkson's not got a role has he? :eek:

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Exactly. Its OK & good in a nostalgic way, but nothing amazing...if you please...:roll:

20. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Ugh hate that logo.