STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I hope the Starbug set looks as good as it did in previous series, and isn't simply a redress of another set where it looks nothing like what it used to and we only get a front facing camera angle, ala Blue Midget. Can't wait to start seeing official teaser pictures of the set and costumes etc. :-D :-D

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I don't think it is from the little bits and bobs I've heard, like I heard that they are deliberately keeping the Series X Red Dwarf set mostly unchanged so that it would be easier to afford a whole new Starbug set built from scratch. Now I can't say if production issues have changed though but since Baby Cow's involvement it's been confirmed that series XI has more money to throw around then X did so.....So I would be very surprised if it's just a redressing of the drive room.

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Doug has teased the return of a Science Room on Twitter.

Clickety clop!

I hope it's reminiscent of the Science Room from Series III to V. If that's the case, I can't see there being much need for the Drive Room any more.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

So new corridors too?

sounds like doug is really trying to bring back the series 3 to 5 vibe

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Maybe, but it will take more than corridors...it needs...ROB GRANT!

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Does it??! Cough...The Strangerers..

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Given dougs last couple of efforts with red dwarf I'd say Rob returning wouldn't be a bad thing

IT won't happen but wouldn't be a bad thing if it did

8. simulant37

Yes. They are good together.

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

If these two series are as good as series X I'll be more that happy. Doug has proven to me that he's still 'got it'. They did work well together but I don't see much need for Rob at this point.

10. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

There were corridors (or at least one) in X, so are they adding to it or have they redressed it I wonder and added another.

11. Slainmonkey

We are getting more new set work then I was expecting it seems, if nothing else Series XI is sounding like it's going to be a more confident production then series X was. With some luck that confidence will translate to the scripts without being a mangled mess of last second rewrites *cough*Dear Dave*cough*. Either way there has been a lot of promising stuff surfacing this early on which is good to know, maybe Red Dwarf's new partnership with Baby Cow will be the shot in the arm the show needs.

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I should imagine that series XI/XII will be better than the well-received RDX. We know Doug's been writing scripts for AGES and they'll have the pretty great sets from RDX to re-use (seriously loved how they were mounted on trolleys, allowing them to be swivelled and used in different configurations). The team should have learnt what does and doesn't work from last time (especially in this vocal internet age), and have made the production process easier.

Plus, I should imagine that Doug may well be treating XI/XII as "the last hurrah" and be trying to get any remaining good ideas he has done.

By the way, I expect tomorrow's update (do they start filming tomorrow?) to hopefully show some of the new sets.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Unfortunatly that doesn't guarantee quality

i actually hope he doesn't because "the last hurrah" is when the pressure is on and we get the big surprise reveals and multi-plot stories because there will always be that thought of trying way too hard to make the best series ever and thats actually gonna hurt the series more then just treating it like 2 new series of adventures

Its like doug made back to earth with the belief it was the best story they had ever told, or at least thats what he told SFX magazine and it was treated like a TV movie and an anniversary special which means doug felt he needed to make something special

Doug should just make 12 good self contained stories that he doesn't feel pressured to surprise fans or throw in several mini plots into episodes to get them all out the way before the show ends

14. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'm getting ridiculously excited about all these tidbits coming out! lol

15. Slainmonkey

I thing I'm most eager about is when it gets to the stage we see pictures of the new sets and see what The Model Unit does with the model effects, having Mike Tucker back onboard is the news that has excited me most. Also while I can't speak for the writing then it just seems like they are reviving a lot of the important Red Dwarf staples that were sadly lacking in series X, these are things that will likely make the show at least feel more Red Dwarfy then it has in a very long time.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Little twitter teases by craig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Slainmonkey

If that's the science room I (sorta) see in the background there, it's far less red then I was expecting.

18. Freeborn

Doug made it clear at the Convention that he doesn't plan on XI/XII being the last of RD. So all being well there's plenty to come yet. :-)

When series X came out I predicted that there would be at least two new series. Some were (understandably) sceptical. But I'm now going to predict the same again. After XI/XII I think we will get at least another two series.

*small print*...unless the show gets cancelled. ;-)

19. simulant37

Maybe not plenty. He could have meant any number of possibilities.

20. Freeborn

True, he wasn't specific in what he hoped would follow these two series'. But I stand by my prediction. *nods affirmatively*.