STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by "Christmas rubbish", May 2, 2015.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Time will tell...

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes, it will..

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The chances for more Red Dwarf (after series XII) I feel is far more likely at this point than it was after BTE or X because of Craig Charles' departure from Corrination Street, which has been the show's biggest hurtle in recent years. Infact Corrie gave Craig an ultimatum of "it's either us or Red Dwarf", which is why he quit to pick Red Dwarf. I would say I'm more optimistic about the possiblity of more future seasons now given the show's current position.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The fact they are making 2 series back to back rather then being confident enough to produce a series every year tells me they ain't that confident they can make them that regular

But obviously it's worth remembering that red dwarf can continue in other forms of media too so even if Doug doesn't give the show an official ending it doesn't effect much and personally I don't think he will give the show an ending

5. Slainmonkey

That said it could be a choice made based on the fact it took this long since series X, I don't blame them for wanting to make sure they get their money's worth griven that it's been 4 years. That also could have been a decision from the people at Baby Cow who has seen that it took 3 years between BTE and X, and then another 4 years between X and XI now. I mean those kinda of time gaps would hardly inspire confidence in the show's backers, even if the cast themselves are.

6. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Remember there were whispers about a live tour when the two new series were announced. I don't think this 'double header' is likely to be the last we see of Red Dwarf, in fact the show seems to have a new lease of life, with everyone from the fans to the cast to the production team seemingly re-energised.

7. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I still have this feeling in the back of my head that this may be the last RD we ever see and something is planned for the last episode of XII or there will be one final one off special to end it after XII.

I just don't see there being a XIII in a few years time, Robert will be 60 in March 2016, shortly after they finish recording XII. Unless they plan making a series a year or something like they did at one point in the 90's, do we really see the cast who are all around mid/late 50's wanting to do it?

Craig leaving Corrie isn't really a definite indication there will be more after XII, actors leave projects, especially soaps all the time to do something else and then return a few years later. Corrie didn't kill Lloyd off so he can return in a few years, after Craig has done RD, possibly returned to I'm A Celebrity and tried some other projects, including continuing his successful DJ tours and radio shows.

8. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Yeah I'd much rather RD end like the Sarah Jane Adventures and we leave the characters headed for their next adventure... rather than seeing ten years from now a 70 year old BobbyLlew trying to recapture the magic and vigor of his mid-thirties Kryten.

9. Slainmonkey

That said Craig didn't leave Corronation Street on the best of terms with them giving him an ultimatum, Craig chose Red Dwarf.....so I somehow think his not in their good books. I would say the chances of there being a series XIII being greenlit before series XII airs is definitely possible. I mean I doubt we'd get another 10 series' out of it, but a couple more seems likely enough.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Nothing is to say that they are annoyed at craig for leaving to do red dwarf since craig has been doing coronation street for 10 years or something and they haven't killed him off so i'd say its pretty open he could come back and craig does want the option to come back

Hard to say since it took 3 years to get these 2 back to back green lit and something tells me it wasn't all craig in corrie stopping them from making it since he had enough time to do i'm a celebrity so he obviously booked time off for that and the reason why they gave him the ultimatum is because they told him he had already had enough time off over the last few years

11. Slainmonkey

Still with 2018 being Red Dwarf's 30th anniversary I would hope we have something to mark the occasion.

12. simulant37

A fitting time to end Red Dwarf methinks.

13. simulant37

Well it cannot go on forever.

14. simulant37

Well it cannot go on forever.

15. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I don't believe red dwarf needs an official 'ending.'
    I don't know how it all works. I presume Dave literally would order more series if the show obviously did well in the ratings and that, but would they go to Doug 'OK, we'll do one more series, but this is the last one' or would they simply not do anymore because hyperthetically series 11 and 12 didn't do well in the ratings.
    To me it seems the later is more likely scenario, therefore we are unlikely to get any 'official' ending to red dwarf, but for me that would work for a show of red dwarfs nature. I don't think it's ever been about 'will they get back to earth?' It's always been about their journey getting back to earth.

16. Slainmonkey

I think that future is already dead because of the verious wibbly wobbly timey wimey thinkings they've encountered since, hell for all we know they were the same verions of their future selves they encountered in Out of Time even further down the line. Either way I'm pretty sure it's too late to try and follow that one up. I think the cat ark is the better thing to follow up honestly.

17. Slainmonkey

Generally I try to avoid double posting but I think this might be worth it, also our first new glance at the Science room it seems.
    [​IMG]

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

First live audience recording tonight

19. simulant37

Yep. 8)

I'm going on 20th!

20. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Just think - a brand new ep in the can. A new story has been told. And someone somewhere (here?) knows all about it! 8)