STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

NO!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll feel cheated if we don't get to see the return of Talkie Toaster.

3. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

You would be great!!! :-D

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I do remember Doug saying he had written a scene with Talkie Toaster in it. But which actor would you want playing him?

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm always a bit lost as to why people seem to think that these will imply inherent quality.

We had "bunk scenes" galore in Series 8 and BTE, none of which were very good. Even Doug Naylor seemed under the impression that simply writing "bunk scenes" would produce instant comedy gold.

The original bunk scenes were great because they had soul, pathos and intelligent humour. Compare this to the deleted "jammy dodger" scene from BTE which people rave about but was actually just Lister acting like a creepy old pervert.

Oh yeah, that's another thing that Doug needs to be careful with. The characters are old now, dialogue that might have worked when they were twenty somethings sounds weird and wrong when they are in their fifties.

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

It always amazes me (as happened with BTE and Series X) that when a new season is announced or aired, suddenly a lot of "fans" seem to think they are experts in writing and comedy... :roll::roll:

Everyone has their own personal preferences, I guess. Not really worth trying to assume what YOU want is what everyone else wants! :x

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I agree more bunkroom scenes for the sake of more would hurt the quality

8. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

The reason I like the bunk scenes so much is because the writers went against the norm (no pun intended!). Even though the show was set in a large spaceship the show wasn't concerned with big epic battles, or aliens attacking the ship. It was about a couple of guys coping with each other, just your normal every day struggles. The ship was really just a backdrop. The dialogue was so important and the way the four main characters (at the time) communicated with each other was the most important thing about the show.

As for who should be in it... I think we all should be in it! (okay, maybe not!)

9. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I wasn't being entirely serious. Think bubble burster ;-)

I found out here how to go about getting them. You had to register on Lost In TV and apply that way. Whether or not they'll use the same agency again I don't know, of course :-)

10. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I was excited by the Star Wars trailer....the Jurassic World trailer...even a royal baby...but nothing has delighted me as much as this news!!! Two new series!! Fantastic!!!!

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I hope Dave will be doing something to mark the 30th anniversary in 2018. I'd love a special one-off episode or something along the lines of Red Dwarf Night.

12. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Hello! :-D

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

having watched a youtube video on the Q&A with doug naylor and chris barrie i am convinced they will indeed be doing a everyone becomes kryten episode... which i ain't sure how i feel about that

Don't dibley family it doug

14. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

Yeah. A twenty something Lister vs a fifty something Lister... time has moved on but the writing for him in Series X had not in some ways.

He's not 28 any more.

15. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think an everyone becomes kryten episode sounds interesting and funny.

16. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes, it has good potential. Would Kryten remain a mechanoid or become human at the same time for instance? Lister loving doing the ironing (no tomatoes)!

I'm looking forward to seeing how they deal with 'new' Rimmer, post The Beginning's father revelation and his renaissance into normal bloke. He's got to have an annoying streak for his character to work, hasn't he???

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'm usually a big defender of all things red dwarf. However, I really didn't like the stuff about rimmers dad, to me that's like them saying, forget everything you knew about rimmer it was all wrong.
    However I can concede it will be interesting to see where they go with it. I hope what they do will win me round.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

for me i am abit worried everyone becomes kryten will be a bit of a wink wink to the fan in terms of fan service and i hope thats not the case because most of the best red dwarf episodes have never depended on fan service or wink wink jokes

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Yeah, I have to admit to being a bit concerned about that too and how they're going to go about it. I don't really want to see DNA2 and I don't want another Despair/Joy Squid or otherwise induced hallucination. However it's still very early days and IIRC from what's been said it's just a possibility at this stage, so it's not something I'm going to get too bent out of shape about yet.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It really does sound a prime example of a concept that could turn out to be either really good or disastrously awful.