STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Personally it only worked in Season 5. The two other episodes that tried to revive him didn't work.

2. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

I love the idea of Craig and Danny and Chris all going through the trauma of wearing the rubber mask, haha. No more than they deserve, if it was them who thought it was a good idea :-p I'm facinated to see how recognisable they each are. I can't imagine what the storyline'll be though.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yes. Maybe it Was Robert's idea. Make the others suffer!

This could go either way though really. I hope it good.

4. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I hope it doesn't put Craig off and make him go back to Corrie

5. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

Craig was prepared to have his head locked in a glass dome full of the worse creepy crawlies imaginable, for I'm a Celebrity. Someone else got that trial in the end, but I'm sure if he can face that, he can face the rubber :-)

6. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I often find myself agreeing with many of your posts on this forum, although I think we've had this particular discussion before.

Surely when most (but not all) people suggest "more bunk scenes" the basic point is simply "more Rimmer/Lister dialogue scenes", no? If so then I'm all for it. Having them on the bunks or in the bunkroom just makes sense in a lot of cases as it's the main set. Much like the sofa location worked well in Men Behaving Badly and numerous other sitcoms. And it seems to be a format that works well for the most part.

However, it was of course always the writing rather the location that made those scenes so good. So yeah "bunk scenes for the sake of bunk scenes" makes no sense. But then I personally doubt such a reductionist notion would ever cross Doug's mind to begin with. In fact if I were Doug reading this thread I may feel somewhat insulted that some people think me so simple to believe the location alone will magically create a great scene. I think Doug deserves a little more credit than that.

That aside, I personally liked the 'bunk scenes' we got in series 8. I'm not sure I'd describe it as being "bunk scenes galore" though. Over-all there were very few bunk scenes really. Which is where I personally feel the series may have gone wrong...Buuuut, again it's not literally the bunk room in and of itself I'm really referring to here. It's a particular style, direction and basic format.

As an aside, I find it interesting the way some fans seem to write off entire concepts and cite just a few examples from the past as to why they don't think said concepts could work if done well (E.G. two-parters, "bunk scenes", etc)..

And yet, people seem all too willing to give certain political parties so many chances, despite their clear failures, over and over again with many, many examples to cite as to why we shouldn't trust them. Everything is backwards>

7. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Bit late to the party but thrilled by the news on 2 extra series. I was worried that Red Dwarf XI was going the way of the movie. To get 2 new series is great news, I just hope I can avoid reading any spoilers in the gap between filming and broadcast.

I won't go in to it hoping to see a Cat episode, or Holly return or an answer to the series 8 cliffhanger, or for Lister to have his appendix out for the 3rd time, or a final episode or whatever.

There are going to be 12 brand new episodes of Red Dwarf, new.......Red.......Dwarf......... thats what I want.

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Late? It's still very early days :-D

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

*AHEM*...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxtraoooooooooooordinary!

11. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

I hope we don't see any moments that would work with 24 year old Lister of 1988, but would sound weird, perverted and creepy with 52 year old Lister of 2016.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I love the bunk scenes, but am confused by your comment. The deleted scene you mention is Lister talking to Rimmer, reminiscing about how he once found an old jammy dodger down the back of a sofa (or something, iirc). Maybe I'm missing something here, but in what way, shape or form was he acting like a creepy old pervert in that scene?

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't see why we would, there wasn't anything like that in RDX that I picked up on anyway.

14. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I've always believed people mature with age because of the people around them and their experiences in life. Lister hasn't had any people, except for the crew, to help him mature and the situations he's been in are so bizarre I can't imagine Lister having matured much over the years.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

My memory might be a little hazy but it's not the Jammy Dodger story itself...I seem to recall something in the same scene where Lister is talking about Kochanski that just seemed a bit too much information. I'd need to watch it again to be sure.

16. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

It's Lister mentioning what he did with Rimmer's money but I can only remember the date at the start.

17. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Sorry it has been 2 weeks but anyway I am absolutely made up that my favourite TV show of all time is coming back not once but twice!

If it can be of equal quality of series X and much better than BtE and Over to Bill then I will be satisfied with that. The only thing that worries me slightly is 12 episodes is a lot to all make good. e.g. new Who apart from series one has a few bad episodes in each 13 ep run. Also in series VII and VIII there were 8 eps and only half in each are brilliant episodes and in 8 in particular there is too much "padding."

But still I am very much looking forward to the two 6 episode series in 2016 and 2017 and have confidence that Doug can deliver. Series X was more consistent than VII and VIII and much superior to BtE so if that can be equalled then I will be happy. You never know the confidence boost to Doug from the critical reception and popularity of X may even help him make an even better than X couple of series.

Bottom line like others have said two series in two years is the most frequent Red Dwarf since the 88 to 93 peak years so all being well it they should be good again. So bring it on!:-)

Another thing I don't know what others think but while I am sad that Rob Grant as expected has not returned to the writing I am glad that XI and XII will be solely written by Doug. This is because for me the other writers in VII - Paul Alexander excepted - didn't really add much good to the show. Also even the two weaker episodes of X were just about good enough. Though I did not think the plot in Lemons was good enough the comedy in that and Dear Dave is some of the funniest in the whole series. So while not perfect Doug did a good job with the writing of X and as co-creator it's right he is doing it all himself again. His directing was good too and that's fine because in series 5 both Rob and himself directed most of that series.

Another thing regarding Kochanski - I don't mind one episode especially if at the end of XII featuring her and resolving the plot ends of her departure before BtE. But I think one episode at the end to round things off is enough - series X shows you that Red Dwarf is best when it is the 4 usual characters on their own in space.

Holly - don't mind whether he/she is in it tbh as though Norman Lovett was brilliant in I and II and Hattie did a decent job in III, IV and V, series VI is arguably the most perfect Red Dwarf series and that had no Holly in. Also X was fine without Holly. But saying that if there was Holly again that would be an interesting prospect too. So don't mind either way.

I am delighted the same sets are being used from X again because that will allow the budget to stretch further to other locations/sets (I want to see Starbug back) and also I thought the X sets were very, very good.

A solution to the series 8 cliffhanger would be welcome but it is not essential IMHO. But it would be gratefully received.

Finally I am so made up and relieved that there is going to be yet more new Red Dwarf. I thought the last we would see of the Dwarfers was the mediocre series 8 finale at the end of 90s so for there to be 4 series of 21st century Red Dwarf it is a massive bonus. But one day all good things have to come to an end so it will be interesting to see if XII is the last series will there be a much more satisfying ending than 8?

But still if XI and XII are a success then who knows what might happen? But one day it will have to come to an end but like I say all this flurry of 21st century Dwarf is a real bonus.

18. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I suppose for the two new series I'd be perfectly happy if they're as good as Red Dwarf X, which had some good ideas, but some of the humour did fail. It would be great if they turn out to be better.

I wonder whether, and hope to be honest, the reason there are two new series being filmed back to back is because they want to draw a line under the show, tie up loose ends and call it a day. I think it's time. I don't want to be watching a Lister played by a sixty year old Craig Charles in ten years. And the only alternative to an ageing cast is bringing in younger characters. I don't relish that either. Red Dwarf has been a part of my life since I was at school (which was a long, long, long time ago, although I still have my slate and cap around hear somewhere) and it's been pretty important to me during some of that time, but there is a proper time for things to draw to a close.

I would like Lister to either find Kochanski, or find some other satisfaction in life, and get back to Earth, and I would like the Cat to find an entire civilisation of cat folk, and why not give Arnie a body, and for that reason I don't expect any of those things to happen, because they're all too obvious.:-)

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yeah...another one crawling outta da woodwork...:roll:

20. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Thanks! I hope you're well. I'll probably be popping back from time to time as news is released about the new series.