STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I doubt GNP hold any grudges against Norman, I think it's more a case of Norman and his requests mean it's harder to include him full time, which is a shame because the character is more important to the show then Normans ego needs

I remember Doug said Norman didn't wanna do any of that explaining sciency stuff for series 8 he just wanted holly to tell jokes and what we ended up getting was a very goofy holly and now Norman spends a lot of his time talking down about the shows decline presumably because he didn't come out of series 8 with any well remembered classic holly gags in the minds of the fans

The shows needs have to be met to make a good series and not Normans

2. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

I wish we could get rid of audience laughter. One of the things i hate in "Gunmen" is that at the point where the ugly guy in the bar is saying, "...now what about the insult?" the audience laughs at Lister's response and thus drowns out the actual punchline.

3. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

That would kill the show for me.

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Yeah, lack of studio audience and a laugh track (whether live or recorded after) was one of the most voiced criticisms of BtE. I think the shows would lose a lot of atmosphere without it to be honest.

5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Without a doubt, look how bad BTE was with no laughing, all the jokes were just, well non jokes. With laughing it may well have worked but with just empty space Hmmm. Not good. Of course though people don't need to e told when to laugh but in the correct places it works just fine.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Red Dwarf is a show that builds an atmosphere, especially with the audience laughter (whether it's a live audience or recorded, as in some cases). Without it, it would be... well, flat. Imagine the groinal attachment scene from Polymorph without it. Okay, in some cases you may miss a word or two because of it (in this age of DVDs though, you can always rewind and listen carefully, or even put the subtitles on) but they're needed.

I understand the lack of laughter in BTE - Red Dwarf was trying something different (which I still don't think was awful), but go back to the shows in Red Dwarf VII which you can watch without a laughter track. Even though VII is widely considered bad (by Red Dwarf standards), it's a lot worse without the track (in my opinion, anyway).

No, the show needs it's laughter. Without it it would be completely wrong.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think its a shame that the first thing people say the problem with BTE was is that it lacked an audience because its not the first thing that bothered me about BTE because no matter if the audience is there or not if the jokes ain't funny then they ain't funny

i sometimes wonder whether alot of people blame the lack of audience for it not being funny when the material just isn't funny enough to notice without an audience having to tell you how funny its mean't to be

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The lack of studio audence was more felt due to cast delivery rather than anything else, there were odd pauses that almost seems like the actors were expecting there to be a laugh track to be added in later. This added an awkward quietness that could have ruined even potentially good joke.....if there were any. That said I would agree it doesn't need audence laughter to be funny but if the alternative would end up being like BTE.....it might be for the better.

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

He has disappointed a lot of fans. The man behaved like an idiot of the highest order. Fancy slagging off a show and then exploiting your fame in the said show you are slagging off to essentially top up your pension by appearing at sci fi conventions.

I think the character is better off removed now. They shouldn't have brought him/her back after series 2.

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think it's necessarily the first thing people complain about, it's just one criticism that gets repeatedly made about BtE and possibly the one that gets most consistently repeated.

11. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

All this whinging I'm just glad it's still in decline since 1988.

They need norm back. Nothing wrong with him he's just a professional windup
    Merchant like my self. Can be a bit like a annoying Uncle Gnome. But he's cool.

12. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

I really hope Norm doesn't come back. Maybe I am just burnt by the stupid grinning terrible one liners Holly of Series 8. But I think Holly worked great when it was Hattie. I mean she was background most of the time and delivered a bit of exposition when needed but worked well as a bit of background. I mean if she was just used in place of some of the talking vending machines for some characters just to lean on a wall and talk exposition to it works well. The problem with Norm is he will demand gags.

13. Ant E

Agree with Cloud. I think a lot of people would find it difficult to accept him back again after all the slagging off he has done.

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

He's little sod.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

no he really is not, if he was they wouldn't have replaced him after series 2 for just being a wind up merchant.

he got the hump with doug and alot of the cast after that also, he blocked robert llewellyn on twitter for a while

and over the last year or so norman said he (by choice) would only come back for a holly episode, which i think is a ridiculous attitude to have and hurts the integrity of the show

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i disagree i don't think GNP or the cast are that bothered with normans attitude as they know what he is like but still for the most part like him

and i don't think alot of the fans care either

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I think that if the show is to work in the future the best working conditions are ideal, and I feel having Norman back would likely create a tense atmosphere with the cast and crew which would only serve to be a damaging blow the show doesn't need. Yes he was funny in season 1 and 2 and his appearance was the highlight of the otherwise lacking "Nanarchy" (the less said about him in series 8 the better), to put it kindly his unprofessional attitude just isn't what the show needs.

18. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

My views about a potential Holly return have changed a bit just lately. I had always supported the idea of bringing either Norm or Hattie back (as a fan I'd personally prefer Norm but I imagine Hattie would be much easier to work with). In an ideal world/situation I'd still be happy to see Holly return, even if s/he only had a few lines. But would it really be worth putting an additional hole in the limited budget that could be spent elsewhere? At this point I'm not convinced it would.

Upon watching series X back again recently Holly never so much as crossed my mind. Well, apart from very briefly when Pree first appeared on the screen. So I'm just not sure Holly is necessary at this point. The show seems to work perfectly well without him/her.

Having said that I would welcome a one-off episode with both Norm and Hattie making a cameo appearance. I think we'd be more likely to see Hattie than Norm at this point though. The last time I asked Norm (subsequent to Red Dwarf X and before he deleted me as a facebook friend) he said he would never return to Red Dwarf...but would be happy to be a guest at the fan convention if asked.

One can't help but feel good old Norm would be especially difficult to work with at this point, and probably always was to some extent. I'll miss his moaning on the DVD commentaries though. I found him especially entertaining on the series 8 commentary. :lol:

19. Ant E

I think you'll find the fans DO care!! :x

20. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

YES.:x

So what is it?