STILL, THERE'S RED DWARF XI NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, May 2, 2015.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

What is what?!?

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

One of those unsure moments

Not sure how I feel about the idea if this is hinting to something, Doug makes me nervous with his ideas these days.

While I know there are some who would be happy to see him again I can't say I am all that bothered whether he comes back or not but there is still a part of it that's like what's Doug gonna do now? :/

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

:?

Is spoiler dripping going to become a feature leading up to RDXI & RDXII? I sincerely hope not :!:

Hopefully they're just having a laugh, but it's hard not to read too much into those tweets.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I didn't mind Kill Crazy. He was a silly one note nutter, and amusing for that.

I'm not sure I'm keen on the rest of the series 8 crew still being out there though* but if there is just one or two and that episode gives closure to the end of series 7 I wouldn't mind that.

*Why do I feel a bit guilty for saying that? Like I'm feeling guilty for wishing people dead even though they're only fictional characters.

Its not so much wishing them dead and preferring to be back with the status quo of the other series though. Lister might not be the last man alive, but we've yet to meet the rest...

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Lister being the last human being alive is basically the premise for red dwarf and its actually a good one so having the crew still alive does ruin that and i think doug knows that as he ignored it in dear dave

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No. No. No. We do NOT want the crew back again Doug!

7. Clarence

Clarence First Technician

Agreed, agreed, agreeed.

8. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I'm watching series VIII at the moment. I've always liked it, and I always enjoy seeing the dwarfers in amongst the new cast of characters. We had seven series of Lister being the last human travelling through the cosmos with a small cast of characters, and in my opinion, six of those series were excellent. The dwarfers' strifes with the resurrected crew and the tank's inmates made a welcome change for me.

There is still an unanswered question about wither went the resurrected crew. As things stand, even though Lister has been referred to as the last man alive since series VIII, that requires some explaining, as it conflicts with what we know has previously occurred.

It wouldn't bother me to see some of the crew return, and if some of them return as guest roles in the new series, their place within any episode's story would be no different to that of any other guest role.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I do think Doug should answer the question about what happened after series 8 since I feel he dug himself into a hole with series 8 and probably should fix it now although at the same time I am a little bias to see anything from series 8 return even if it is kill crazy who I ain't one of those people eager to see him again as he was kinda amusing in Cassandra but he lost that pretty quickly in the next 3 episodes.

Since BTE I have been nervous about doug decisions for the show

10. Yule Sleigher

Kill Crazy could be a far more grownup interplanetary bounty hunter by now. He's been in space awhile. Anything's possible! Any returning characters will be whatever the story requires of them. It would be cool to see a resolution to the series VIII problem, but that could form the main plot of an episode, or could be dealt with in two lines of dialogue. In the end, if I'm enjoying the new episodes, I'm not going to care if during the next two series the events of series VIII are never alluded to.
    Most of us feel a bit stung by BTE. I think the last series demonstrates that Doug has returned to Red Dwarf's sit-com roots.

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Yes but he also said this back in series VIII and all remember that trainwreck, now his talking about bringing a series VIII character back? I am dubious about this to say the least, I just hope Doug has enough sense to kill off Kill Crazy and not make him a reoccurring character again. This has dampened my optimism a bit I must confess.

12. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Interesting development.
    I think I really want to know how rimmer survived at the end of red dwarf 8. I don't mind going back to this and finding that out. I didn't mind series 8, I found it different and interesting on the whole, except for Pete episodes.

13. Yule Sleigher

Well, we don't 'all' consider series VIII a train wreck. I'd take VIII over RDX any day. But most of the things we think we want or don't want from more Red Dwarf are probably not the things that will make much of a difference to whether we like it. If I hear there's a chance an old character will feature somewhere in the new series, I immediately think of the possibilities and how it might enhance the show, not how terrible it is that, Oh My God, they might deviate a little from Red Dwarf's perceived heyday. There will always be plenty of people who think that everything wrong with Red Dwarf is it's not being made exactly how they made... whatever happened to be their favourite series. But I suspect if the jokes make you laugh you won't care much whether they bring back Kill Crazy, or Kochanski, or even Duane Dibbley.

14. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

To be honest, when I first read this on twitter I wondered whether it was just a bit of non-serious banter between the pair of them. After all Jake Wood is more famous for being Max in EastEnders. So hopefully it might just be a joke.

But if it is true at least it sounds like there might finally be a resolution to the series 8 cliff hanger. But Kill Crazy was brilliant in Cassandra and Krytie TV but terrible in the other episodes. But still as someone else has said as long as the writing, plot and humour are good like Cassandra and Krytie TV then maybe Doug and all can pull it off. Also, bringing back the Lister being his own dad in Fathers and Suns from Ouroboros was done much better and funnier in X. So maybe if Kill Crazy did come back it could be done more effectively in the new series. And if XI and XII are to be the last series of Red Dwarf then it would be nice for the loose plot ends from series 8 were resolved like what happened to the resurrected crew as well as the cliffhanger. It's a gamble in terms of whether Kill Crazy coming back would be good Red Dwarf but still we'll have to see whether this is definitely true or not first.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

My two pennies worth on this. Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of VIII by any stretch of the imagination and tend to view it as the weakest regular series (Not counting BtE as a regular series), I certainly don't consider it a "Train-wreck". For me Killcrazy was one of the better auxiliary characters of VIII, but I'm not sure I'd want to see him or any of the resurrected crew return.

On the plus side, I find it hard to envisage an episode with Killcrazy in as a guest character where the question of the Series VIII cliffhanger doesn't get addressed (Something I would like to see personally), unfortunately though one way I can see it being sidestepped is as a recurring "joke" where every time someone brings it up they get interrupted before they can finish the sentence. It was slightly irritating IMO when it was done in The Beginning and again in We're Smegged, it would be more irritating to see it done again.

I'm not so sure. Part of the joke delivery is the build up and if part of that is seeing the fourth or fifth appearance of Duane Dibley and thinking "Oh Christ, not him again!", then there's every chance that a joke I might have laughed at if Lister or normal Cat said it falls flat because the anticipation is ruined by the character delivering it.

Rimmer didn't survive though, at least not to BtE as he was back to being a hologram by then. I also thought that you used to be anti- seeing a resolution to the Series VIII cliffhanger. Part of that (Including what happened to Red Dwarf and the resurrected crew) was what happened to the living Rimmer.

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I don't recall having said I am against a resolution to the series 8 cliffhanger. Although I do think leaving it open to people's own imagination is never a bad thing.

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I was sure you'd spoken against it before now, but if I'm wrong then I apologise. I do however think that leaving it open is frankly taking the easy way out of having written yourself into an admittedly difficult cliffhanger to resolve.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its funny because doug said back in around 2012 at a DJ that the Rimmer in BTL and RDX was the original Rimmer from 1-7, and seeing as in entangled he talks about when he didn't repair the drive plate that probably backs that up abit

19. Yule Sleigher

If your reaction to Duane Dibbley (or any character) is always going to be for his presence to ruin your enjoyment of any humour from that point on, fair enough, but I'm not talking about jokes that you would laugh at if delivered by another character, because humour is more complicated than that. I mean, speaking hypothetically, no matter how they change the format, and what you might think you'd like or not like now, if in the end the new series is done in a way that makes you laugh, you're not suddenly going to decide you don't like the new series because it has that character in it or messes with the shows format in a particular way.

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I stick by my series 8 bring a "Trainwreck" comment, words fail how much I hated the vast majority of it. I will say this if all the news we get is like this I might start getting as negative as Sim. I suppose there is an off chance it could be handled well and if I feel I was wrong when it airs I am willing to admit it, but I can't say this news has instilled me with confidence and frankly would rather the show just leave the skeletons of the past (particularly anything regarding the abysmal 8th series) behind.