Studio audience / laugh track

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Oct 30, 2017.

Do you like Red Dwarf having a laugh track?

1. Yes, keep it.

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No, get rid of it.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

What is your opinion on the studio audience laughing every ten seconds? I personally would prefer it without a laugh track. I find it takes me out of the zone, breaking suspension of disbelief. Who are these people laughing onboard the spaceship. I find it a bit patronising, as if I can't be trusted to figure out for myself what's funny and need to be told. It suggests an insecurity about the comedy.

I also wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't laugh anywhere near as much as the audience does. Lines that raise a smirk from me have the audience howling. Is there a sign saying LAUGH? I guess when you know you're there to have your laughing recorded, you're going to feel under pressure to laugh all the time to justify your presence. According to set reports, they do literally tell the audience to laugh more.

2. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Just received my questions for the interview, keep your eyes peeled as there are some around what happens at a recording.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The idea behind audience laughter is to create an atmosphere, not to help you figure out what's funny.

I chose 'Yes, keep it'.

4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I love hearing the audience reactions. Without going into specifics, in recent episodes the audience has reacted highly positively to events in the episodes. Be it a cheer or a round of applause or an eruption of laughter I love sharing in that and the knowledge that the cast and crew will have experienced that as a pay off for sterling work!

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

Yeah, these are mine. I've got these questions in my RD web discussion, so I wanted to ask somebody who attended the recording and best option was @Dismembers interview.

I chose 'Yes', altrought I don't usually like the laugh tracks, but Red Dwarf won't be Red Dwarf without them (as we saw in Back to Earth).

6. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I choose no. I wish the laugh track on the DVD was optional because I would watch without the laugh track if I could.

7. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Despite my complaints about the laughter in the opening of Mechocracy, I definitely think Red Dwarf's for the best with the laughter. It's a sitcom, and a studio-based one at that, which in itself feels like a dyng art form (in the UK, at least). Dwarf does it well, it's part and parcel of the show.

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Without the audience laughter track, Red Dwarf would simply have "no kind of atmosphere" and have nothing for the cast to respond to and up their game.