Studio audience ticket update

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lostintv, Nov 14, 2011.

1. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The way I see it, if I don't have a ticket it's all good - I still get to see them, just nine months later!

The hard part will be avoiding internet spoilers for all that time...

2. rocket_man

rocket_man Skutter

Hi Jay I don't want to labour the point, but putting a message on the front page of a site that was crumbling under the pressure was more than a little odd.

Everyone wouldn't see it, as the site was struggling, and the only way anyone would see the twitter message was if they were following.

I know it must have been a nightmare (ive had similar problems) but opening up allocations in this way was less than fair.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I agree that, for those like myself that couldn't get through, it was very disappointing to find it fully booked via methods that weren't initially advertised. I no longer use Twitter and, as previously stated, the website was down. But what's done is done.

Lets just hope that lessons will be learned for the series XI live audience....;-)

4. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

As soon as Lost in TV tweeted the email addresses we posted them up on Facebook and Twitter to try and share the information with as many people as possible, Doug was also tweeting updates. It was the most frantic hour and a half of my life trying to apply for tickets and share the information through TORDFC channels.

It's unfortunate that people missed out, but there's always the waiting list, you never know! :-)

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I like your attitude ;-)

That's an important thing to keep in perspective, though - okay, I know pretty much Every Dwarf Fan On The Planet wants to see the episodes being recorded, but there are so many fans and so few seats at a recording that that's never going to be possible (and it was even less possible back in the days when you couldn't be made aware of such things via the internet!) But the point is that although seeing recordings is a unique and entertaining experience, they're just that - recordings. It's not an exclusive live show, it's a TV series that every one of us is going to get to see next year. And you'll probably even get to see the Smeg Ups on the DVDs.

Plus, of course - while this may be the first set of live recordings for thirteen years, we'd all be guilty of extreme pessimism if we thought it was going to be the LAST...

6. ori-STUDFARM

If there was ever a time to do a Red Dwarf stadium tour!!!

I've seen people really complaining about the whole ticket situation. As somebody who is on the waiting list and missed out, I just want to say thanks for at least trying to get the info out to us all. It was inevitable that some of us were going to miss the last minute methods of booking. But, other than cancelling the whole thing and trying again at some other date, I really can't see what else could have been done.

Cheers for at least trying to let me know. Even though I did miss the messages.

(Yes. This is my way of trying to sweet talk my way further up the waiting lists. What of it?)

7. rocket_man

rocket_man Skutter

That's what I would've done.

8. ori-STUDFARM

In hindsight, that may have been the better option. Certainly for me...But this close to the recording dates I can see the need for some urgency.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

And yet you talk about wanting a method that would have been "fair". How would this suggestion have been "fair" to the people who did manage to get their applications in the first time, but would then be told they were invalid and that others had got their tickets instead?

The circumstances last Friday were unfortunate, but even if the servers had been up and running and working perfectly, it's a simple fact that not everybody who wanted a ticket would have got one. There were far more people trying to get them than there were tickets available. As such, there was always going to be a situation where some would consider it "unfair" that they didn't manage to get any.

10. rocket_man

rocket_man Skutter

If anyone was lucky enough to log in and book tickets then no one would have grumbled I think if the tickets were allocated to them.

The fact is I like many others weren't given the other opportunity to apply for tickets via the simple method of sending an email.

We waited till the website was back up and running.

11. rocket_man

rocket_man Skutter

Well its Tuesday and still no-one knows if they are going or not.

Not that urgent it seems

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You were, though. Everyone was given the opportunity. The info was disseminated as best as possible - it was placed on the front page of the Lost in TV site (and I'm sorry, but your argument that replacing the application page with a static page was pointless is incorrect - once the static page went up, and so the servers weren't being bombarded with database queries, said static page was entirely accessible), it was mentioned by all sorts of official channels on Twitter (Lost in TV's feed, Doug Naylor's feed, the fan club's feed - and even if you're not a Twitter user yourself, in this day and age it's generally accepted that checking people's individual pages is often the quickest way to get information), and it was picked up by fansites and by posters on this very forum.

If you were on the internet between 2pm and 3pm, there were absolutely plenty of ways to find out how to get your application in, and to do so.

I don't wish to appear unsympathetic - the tech problems that hit both our site and LITV's site were regrettable - but like I say, people were always going to miss out. These were free tickets, and even with fans being given the information first, demand exceeded supply. That's just a simple fact, and it means that there's nobody who is or was any more entitled to a ticket than anyone else.

13. ori-STUDFARM

Yes, it's irritating when you miss out on seeing something recorded live that you are desperate to see. And it is easy to look at others that appear to have a much better chance than yourself at getting tickets and feel pi***d off about it. But unfortunately, there was more demand than tickets available and a lot of people will have to miss out.

I put myself in the mental position that, if I had have successfully logged in before they were gone (as a few did actually appear to have done) or had got through via email or twitter and were then told that it didn't count, I'd be equally as pi***d off.

In a funny kind of way, I'm actually happy the demand is so high. It shows a lot of interest from the public and fans.

14. rocket_man

rocket_man Skutter

Its not that someone is more entitled, I just think it was handled poorly.

Free or not isnt the point really, a simple "check our twitter page if there are problems with the site" would have been ideal before 2pm.

The site wasn't loading at all for me - whatever I tried and I was trying a number of different ways. Maybe its a northern issue as my PC runs on gravy

15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

If I get a ticket then I will be sooo happy, but if not, then so be it. What really makes me happy is that there was so much interest in getting tickets. It just goes to prove how massive Red Dwarf still is. For a show that has been off air (not counting BTE) for about 12 years just proves to what a loyal fanbase and quality comedy it is and how much the BBC were wrong to lose it , Long live Red Dwarf.

I got an email today from lost in Tv , I got excited but when I read it it was just a flyer for other shows.

Good luck to everyone on tickets.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i hope it dont send any bitterness towards the new series if some dont get to be in the audiance

lets just be happy new red dawrf finally :-)

17. supercat

supercat Console Officer

The news has started trickling in... I know of two people who have tickets. As of yet, however, one of them is not me :-(
    But well done to those people who have succeeded so far!!! :-D

18. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Scrap that last post... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! *dances*

19. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I got confirmation of 4 tickets for 23 December!! *dances around with Supercat!!*

20. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

Get. In.
    8)
    2 x Friday 13th Jan.
    I'm actually shaking.