Studio audience ticket update

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lostintv, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I actually think it was handled very smartly. Given the unforeseen problems, using Twitter and the front page were the next best thing. And they relied on simple common sense. The fans patient enough to wait for that front page to load - even if it took minutes - or smart enough to look at the company's other means of communication did 'best'.

Obviously 'the site not going down' would have been preferable, but the most patient and switched-on fans getting in second? That's not too bad.

Look, up in the sky! It's Captain Hindsight!

I tease. But it's easy to say such things afterwards. Where were you the day before the tickets went up with this suggestion? Nowhere. Same as everyone else. Because although GNP expected demand, the level was vastly beyond anything anyone expected. And the ticket company, who've some experience at this, have never seen anything like it. And neither group would necessarily have known what it would take to overload their servers - there's an IT bod somewhere muttering "I wish I'd known this was gonna happen..."

When you have two minutes to make a call, you make the best call you can. I think they did a great job in the circumstances. I'm pretty sure 100% of the ticket requests will be going out to keen, interested fans. And everyone had basically an equal shot at getting lucky with the servers and the site. Sure, okay, you couldn't get the front page to load and some could. But that was random, it wasn't selective. In the end, who got tickets was the lucky lottery it was always going to be...perhaps slightly tweaked by the karma of common sense.

2. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

Just got confirmation of my tickets for the first show through :-D

To say I'm excited would be a huge understatement. I'm going to see the Boys from the Dwarf!

3. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

1x 23 Dec here. Happy Christmas to me! :-D

4. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Applied for 4 tickets for Saturday 7th January but didn't get them. I've emailed asking to reduce it to 2 tickets. Might be lucky, but proboably not...

5. Andy0011

Andy0011 Skutter

Just had an email saying unfortunately due to demand they will not be able to honour my booking :-(

Oh well my fault for forgetting and applying hours after everyone else, hope those that got tickets have a great time.

Oh and if anyone from Bristol got tickets and has a spare get in touch :-)

6. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Applied for one ticket on December 23rd and didn't get it. I've been put on the waiting list, but I doubt I'll get it. Oh well.

7. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Got a reply and it's completely fully booked. I actually thought I might be in with a chance because I applied via the website and it didn't crash on me, so didn't have to email. But if anybody has 2 spare tickets for Saturday 7th January, please let me know!

8. MooMooYew

MooMooYew Third Technician

I was one of the first applied and I didn't get any. Obviously it's 100% a lottery with no proper order or process to things.
    I feel sorry for the people that sat it out and waited for their awful site to work again so they could book. They got screwed big time.

People getting in via email, twitter or whatever, instead of the method we were all told? Robbery.

I apologise for being bitter but this was a once in a lifetime chance missed :-(
    Wish the people with tickets a great time.

9. potatojunkie

potatojunkie First Technician

Got tickets for 27th January!!! :-):-):-)

10. rocket_man

rocket_man Skutter

I was patient, one browser was left to load while I tried a couple of others going in via google et al.
    It just wasn't loading.

And his sidekick Sarcasm Boy - If it was my job to allocate the tickets and I'd been responsible, I might have thought what would happen if the servers crash. I wasn't and so thought that if it happened then Lost In TV would deal with it accordingly.

Of course you do, personally I think the best call would have been to honour those lucky enough to have been able to log in and apply. Stop further people from being able to do this. Then when traffic was back to normal post a link saying sorry etc. Unprecedented demand... we will begin taking email applications from 10am tomorrow.
    Any emails before then wont be valid.First come first served. THAT would have been what I would have done

11. CrimsonAvenger

CrimsonAvenger Skutter

2 tickets for the 16th confirmed. Yay! I applied via website (with two browser windows open, one left to its own devices after clicking 'apply' and the other being refreshed every five seconds), email and Twitter. I went to great pains make it extremely, explicitly clear that I was not trying to make multiple bookings, though.;-)

This has made my year!:-D:-D:-D

12. potatojunkie

Wow, a lot of anger and resentment in these posts.

At the end of the day, these things happen and similar things happen every day with demand for gig tickets etc. Suck it up and get on with it, it's not the end of the world. Yes, it's disappointing but hey ho.

A lot of people seem to be on a waiting list. Do that... Wait and see what happens. I have no doubt that some people (not including myself) will have ordered more tickets than they need and MAY have applied and been successful using more than 1 email address. These tickets will hopefully be returned and go to people who are on these lists.

Someone mentioned common sense in an earlier post. I was trying and trying the LITV website and after 10 mins when i kept getting no response, I thought to myself - High demand...lets see how others getting on. There's no point in stubbornly pressing f5 and refreshing the page every 10 secs if nothing is happening. I posted in here and found out the site was down, and others were having the same problem. I logged into Twitter and saw a post from Doug Naylor telling people to apply via e mail and he gave the email address. This was all done in the first 10 mins or so of the site being down. I thought they did a great job keeping people informed and sorting out an alternative means of applying. It's no ones fault but your own if you sat like a stoogie waiting for the website to return. Lucky lottery was mentioned too. It was always going to be down to luck. Even if the website had been running properly and the application process had run smoothly, there is no guarantee you wouldn't still be in the same position now.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i hope this doesnt spread alot of norman lovett style bitterness towards other fans and the new series

cool down everyone, take a deep breath, eat some toast and look forwards to the finished product in the new year :-)

14. Akkuze

Akkuze Skutter

Perhaps the angry people require a couple of hours of W.O.O....

(for note I was unsuccessful in my application as well so am not stating this from some smug point of view... I am also very disappointed :-( )

15. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Looks like the last trains into London from Shepperton are 23:11 on Fridays. There is one before that at 22:41 but you'd need to engage leg it mode to get there in time.

16. potatojunkie

Anyone know what time the London underground stops at? That last train from Shepperton gets in to Waterloo just after midnight. I was planning on staying near Euston or Kings x so would need to get the tube to there when i get back.

17. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

First and Last tube time list

18. potatojunkie

Thanks Seb... Looks like that last train from Shepperton train gets back in time :-)

19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yeah, you should be fine. I hope so, anyway, because I'll be in the same position! I live out on the north east end of the Piccadilly line, but in my experience leaving central London around midnight is usually enough time to safely cover a journey home, even with a line change thrown in there.

20. bromley001

bromley001 Third Technician

Now, I've been lucky, but I'd just like to say that I think the team dealing with everything at Lost In TV have been great. They've been kind, helpful, sympathetic to those with problems, and, it has to be said, there's not many companies who would take the time to inform people that they *haven't* been successful.