Studio audience ticket update

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lostintv, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I'm sure if you explain this, they may accomodate for you. Maybe they'd let you go between takes?

2. lostintv

lostintv Third Technician

Hi there,

Whilst there are no breaks in recording aside from those to move to another scene, retake, etc., this won't be a problem - there are ushers on hand to direct you towards the toilets. Obviously, it would be best to plan your trip in between takes so as to not disturb the recording, but other than that it's absolutely fine.

Hope this helps,
    Jay

3. lostintv

lostintv Third Technician

Me again - I wasn't sure where to post this but I've had clearance to upload a photo of last Friday's audience to Lost in TV's fledgling Facebook page. Thought it would be quite fun if you'd like to tag yourself, if you were there!

Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/tvaudience

PS. Apologies for the bias towards the right-hand side of the audience roster, by the time I'd made it to the other side everyone had gotten up!

4. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I made the mistake of going an hour before we went in, and not at the last minute, so was bursting by about 9pm lol. I didnt dare get up while the warm up guy was talking because didnt want to disturb everyone as I was in the middle of a row.

5. Blue_Alert

Blue_Alert Skutter

I'm attending this Friday's recording, and have a few questions I hope somebody might be able to answer.

1) Is the audience parking clearly marked as one drives into Shepperton? What time does the parking become available?
    2) I understand there's a slightly unexpected entrance into the studio that people didn't pick up on last Friday. Will this be well-marked in the future?
    3) Does a queue form outside the entrance in the lead up to 5.30pm? If so, does anyone know what time this happened last Friday?
    4) When you go in, do you get to pick where you sit or are you herded into the seating in a particular pattern (front to back - back to front - left to right - right to left). What I'm asking is... is there any benefit to being at the front of the queue?
    5) I've no intention of bringing any photographic equipment, but know that my phone has a camera on it. That's not a problem, is it. (obviously I'll leave my phone off and won't use it)
    6) I presume food is forbidden inside the studio.

6. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

1) Not sure. About 4pm but good luck with that, when I Phoned up Shepperton for a Friend of mine they told me they'd be opening any minute and turned to be 4:30 or something.

2) Yep, should be, I Tweeted Jay (Lost on TV) on Twitter whom told me that the precise directions were sent out at around midday on the Friday, I felt that due to the vast distances people were coming from 12pm would be far too late as people would need to know wayyyy ahead of time and thus wouldn't have seen many people turning up at the wrong entrance.

3) Not sure.

4) Don't know.

5) Shouldn't be a problem at all.

6) Most probably.

I would like clarification of these answers too for my trip up to Shepperton as well, but am sure as time goes by we'll all be pretty savvy.

7. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

They opened the gates at around 4.30ish I think (was meant to be 4 but for some reason they took ages sending someone to come and open the gate), then they took us to a waiting area which is in a seperate building to the studio. In there you can get hot drinks and they sell sandwiches, crisps, cans of pop etc. and thats where the toilets are. On our way in they took our names and wrote a number on our tickets as they call you in in groups. We were in the waiting area until about 6 when they took us to the actual studio. I'm not sure if they have any rules on eating in there, but I did anyway. Discreetly because I wasnt sure. They seat you from back to front but the very front row was for VIP's, and the very back row was left free at one end for latecomers. You don't just get to sit whereever you want, and theres no benefit really in turning up very early but if you do it doesnt matter as you have a warm room with food and drinks to wait in. You're not stood outside in the cold for long. But whereever you sit, you can't see absolutely everything all the time, so it doesn't really matter too much. They have monitors up which you watch the VT's on, but you can also watch the recording as its happening on the monitors for the bits you might not be able to see that well from where you're sat. I know its not ideal to watch it on monitors but it really does help if you can't see whats going on on the sets at the other end of the room.

We didnt get searched or anything so you'll be fine with a mobile phone. I heard one or two mobiles going off which suprised me as I'd have thought people would leave them turned off or on silent.

You go to the service entrance, not the main entrance. Its only a few minutes away from the main entrance by car or 20 minutes walk, but if you do go to the wrong entrance a grumpy looking woman will direct you to the right one lol. It sounds as though they will be making that information a bit clearer for next time though. I think a few of us went to the main entrance not realising, as that seemed to be what it was telling us on the tickets.

Theres a bit of walking through mud in the dark so don't wear your best shoes lol.

8. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Thank you muchly Nicky for this incredibly invaluable information, this will only serve to help everyone else who goes :-) x

9. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Thats ok, that was the idea :-) If I think of anything else I'll add it later. I'm not sure exactly what time we got taken in to the waiting area but I think it was about 5ish. So if I was going again I'd probably aim to get there for about 5. Its probably worth setting off earlyish though just incase of traffic.

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Cheers for the heads up about the mud. Looks like I'll be popping on my walking boots after all. Even if they do smell worse than Listers day-glo moon boots. It'll only bother those that are sat near me this friday :-)

11. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

It wasnt too bad, it might just be that I noticed more because I had newish suede boots on and was paranoid about ruining them lol.

12. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Flip flops it is then!! :-)

13. martxw

martxw Skutter

The ONLY negative part of the day was that there was no warning of when the gates would be opened.
    According to my sat nav log, I arrived at 4:30 and the roundabout exit was completely blocked with double-parked vehicles, long tailbacks, and the local police were in attendance. I drove round and queued to the side of the road to turn left, but the police came along and moved everyone away. I tried up at the main gate and asked when the gates would be opened, was sent back to find everything completely clear by 4:48.
    So, please warn later audiences of the earliest arrival time. We don't want the Thames Valley Police vetoing future audiences.
    Apart from that (+ the VTs where some actors didn't seem to have had microphones), the best TV recording I've been to, and big up Tom Price for the warm-up.

14. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Is the car park closer to the wrong entrance or the right one, I need to know as we shall be heading over by car :-)

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The car park is inside the correct entrance - you pass the first level of ticket security before parking.

16. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Ah good thanks for that Seb :-)

17. Blue_Alert

Blue_Alert Skutter

Thank-you very much for the helpful responses. :-D

The most interesting nugget being when the parking becomes available. Although uncertain, it seems not really early afternoon or anything so early. I'm thinking there's not much point in getting there before 3.30pm/4.00pm. Particularly if we won't be provided with the right entrance / car park information until midday (although I can't imagine they won't have signposts this time!). My party (four of us) made ourselves free for the whole day - just in case there would be the requirement to queue and 'bag the best seats', but if we can't actually get into the car park until c.4.00pm (or a little after) then there's no point in getting there any earlier. Certainly makes for a more leisurely day. Don't want to be standing around in the cold for hours on end (but was prepared to if necessary).

18. potatojunkie

potatojunkie First Technician

Yeah, that is good news for me as well. Makes my day a bit easier now. I'm coming down from Glasgow and staying in London. I think my train gets into London around 1 pm, so it means I should have some time before going for the train from Waterloo. I was thinking that it was going to be a bit of a mad rush to get there and queue up.

19. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

A plea to the good folks at RedDwarf.co.uk ...

I am a massive fan. Always have been. I used to watch it as a kid with my late father, and was never old enough to see it being filmed during the period it was filmed infront of a studio audience.

I know it's such a massive long shot, but if anyone has a single spare ticket for any of the filming dates I would truely be in your debt. I can repay you by form of beers on the night of course.

I am a true smegging Red Dwarf fan. I was gutted to have been unlucky in the ticket process and it would really mean the world to me if I was able to attend a recording.

Yours truely,

A massive RD Fan

** P.S. Merry Christmas! **

20. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Ok, after some confusion last week I've spoken to Lost in TV and they've advised that the only entrance to be used for recording attendees is the service entrance, whether in a car or on foot.
    Car park opens at 4:15pm.

Here's a map to show you where the service entrance is:

[​IMG]

And here's a Google street pic of the pretty nondescript entrance that you'll be looking for:

[​IMG]

Please note: If you're on foot, you have to walk down a long dirt track to get to the car park. From there everyone will continue on along a shorter dirt track to get to the studios. There are plenty of yellow coats to direct you but once it goes dark there is poor lighting along the track and if it rains it will be muddy. So take care and don't wear your best shoes!

Also it states on the ticket that if you forget it that they'll have a list of names at the door. While that did seem to be the case once we got to the holding area, our tickets were also checked at the car park entrance and he didn't seem to have a list so I'd advise ensuring you have your ticket with you.