Teaser Trailer?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by simulant37, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it is. It's a gag that just feels so right for Red Dwarf. You could almost believe it was from an earlier series. This is mostly because it ties in with something I've mentioned before that was common in the Red Dwarf of old: it's taking a present-day phenomenon (in this case locking yourself out after going out and forgetting your keys) and hilariously placing it in a future setting.

3. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

i liked the rimmer clip earlier but the I've forgot the key bit was classic:lol:

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I like the new mail sorting clip :-)

5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Haven't managed to see this alleged "where's my keys" clip, even on the Dave website. Maybe I'm too much of a smeghead.

In any case, my brief thoughts on what video we've so far seen:

Main trailer - pretty good. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. The beginning - Kryten asking Lister if all was okay and seriously (and obviously) depressing him in the progress was good. Random clips - not vastly impressed, especially Kryten's random movement bit. Lister losing Rimmer in a poker game - excellent, spoilt a bit by Cat's execution. Lister's presumably-father's-day cards - good with the "presents" in the cards, will have to see the episode in full of course.

In-Synch - concept sounded a bit like "White Hole" where everything is repeated, but I don't think the clip was good at all. Seemed forced, possibly going back to series 7/8. I'd give it a 4/10.

Weapons - very, very good. So good, in fact, I actually wanted it to take longer - i.e. Kryten spending another second or two before, ashamedly, putting the next "weapon" down for inspection. 9/10 methinks?

Mail - pretty good. Rimmer chiding Lister for "making everything a game" was such an obvious lead-in that it got a wry smile out of me, knowing what was to come. Rimmer's victory, however, was probably too OTT, but the parking ticket, again quite obvious when you think about it, definitely was a laugh-out-loud moment. 7 or 8 out of 10.

Now I just need to know that this will be on in America at roughly the same time, as I'm on holiday when it airs (I am recording it though, and buying the DVD).

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm afraid I found this clip pretty awful. Rimmer completing his metamorphosis into Chris Barrie and the hysterical fanboy laughter of the crowd to this rather weak, recycled joke just intensified my fears that all the "return to form" stuff those who have seen the show have been talking about is merely them being caught up in the moment in exactly the same way they were during the worst of series eight. :-(

What really worries me is that we've now seen multiple clips and I wouldn't say any of them contain jokes that will become classics like the "blue alert" scene or others that spring to mind. This could be Dave holding back but one would expect them to put out jokes that would show the new series in its best light and so far what I've seen have only been weak characterizations (Dave Lister loves Curry!) and pantomime performances from Barrie who seems to have almost completely forgotten how to play Rimmer.

Once again I find myself repeating the mantra "it's only a short clip" but with every one that's released I find my faith in this series sinking. :-(

7. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I caught about 2 seconds of another trailer this morning. Been out all day so not caught it again

8. olly1988

olly1988 Third Technician

9. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Nice one. That is the one I mentioned above. I caught the back end of it. This one seems more dwarf like

10. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

11. olly1988

olly1988 Third Technician

I agree, I just felt Craig was a little off here. Like he was remembering the line whilst talking.
    But I think we're all prone to analyzing to death what little one liner's we have up to now.

I think we should just take it on the 4th October as it comes. I wasn't analyzing at all before, now I'm picking things apart.When we have 30 min episodes of jokes to look on, I don't think we'll be as anal about it all.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'm more excited that I can put into words. The trailers have already proved the series is now back on top notch form again. Just like the old days, save for the extended foreheads and extra poundage on display :-D

13. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

I'm liking the new trailers a lot, and also think the idents were charming little bolt-ons for the RDX PR machine, as well. (My favourite was Cat chasing the laser pen!) I love the entangled Cat/Kryten clip, and think the 'Areolas' gag is an typical crass Lister/Rimmer boomer that we have all enjoyed since Series 1. I liked the mail gag too, again, something typically Dwarf.

The only grating thing from what I see in the trailer excerpts so far would have to be Roberts acting specifically in one clip. But for me that relates to the fact that he seems to stumble over a few words here and there, and his arms flap a little too much in the 'stain/smear' clip.

The guys and how they played the characters, say in RD V, VI, VII was very different in terms of energy, age, experience and character development from how they played them in RD I or II. This is also true of RDX in relation to older series. It seems ludicrous to compare the performances as a whole, but to judge them on how they fit into the dynamic now, in the current show and story lines, with each other.

I also think Simulant is correct to assert that Doug Naylor as writer/director has chief call on all aspects of what goes / doesn't go, and not to fob off and say 'it's Dave's insistence that X happened' or 'the set changes meant it suffered etc' - all things that, as Simulant states, are in the hands of the creator.

Anyway - for me (and I'm someone who likes SVII and SVIII a LOT!) - these clips and the discussion of them is, in the final analysis, redundant (he says, having just discussed them, what a smegging hypocrite I am!!!!) - because once we all see the episode, the context of the episode is the only way / place to judge them, as a whole. I mean, you could put online 1,000 gags / little tasters from old RD shows, and they may not work alone or be judged to be not too hot.

Now,

would anyone like any toast?

14. bedfordfalls

Then you're, unfortunately, suffering from the same delusions as he is. Sorry to have to put it so bluntly but that argument was about Back to Earth and you only have to read the interview with Doug himself or have done the slightest little bit of research into the making of the show (watching the making of documentary would help) to see the tremendous difficulties that Doug was up against in making it.

He wanted sets: he had to make do with green-screen.
    He wanted an audience: he had to make do without one because of costs.
    He wanted half hour shows, he had to make do with 22 minute shows.
    He had to buy Carbug out of his own money because he had no budget.
    He had to write a show set on earth because he had no budget.
    He wanted other actors...no budget.
    He had to convince numerous people to work for free and/or their love of the show to get it made at all...because, well I'm repeating myself.

And yet despite all this he somehow made a show with a story, pathos, and which (at the time) finally gave the series something approaching a resolution and closure after the awful ending of series 8. It wasn't perfect or the best Red Dwarf ever but given what it was commissioned as it was a remarkable achievement. More than this though it was something that was successful enough to actually give the show a rebirth and a second chance at life. That he produced all of this in the face of adversity from what was commissioned to be "the guys sitting around in costume introducing clips" is an incredible achievement...but yeah, let's get Rob Grant back who doesn't give two ***** about Red Dwarf but, you know, probably wrote that joke about the Red Alert bulb! :eek:ops:

Doug Naylor is a writer, he isn't some kind of all powerful television God who can dictate his terms to his backers any more than he was able to when trying to get the Red Dwarf movie made. He didn't want plastic crocodiles or terrible CGI in Stoke me a Clipper, just like he didn't want Chris Barrie to leave the show: it was what he ended up with and had to work with.

Because he's a writer. Not God.

15. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

Yeah, I see your points, and there's some information that you list which I was not aware of regarding BTE, so fair dos.

I was (fairly unsuccessfully) trying making a more general assertion, that I felt was a fair point, for any TV production where the writer/director is concerned; which is that, in terms of:

a) which take to use b)which sub-plot to add in c) whether to put the show with no laughter track / live audience, or even, d) to be fair - whether to say 'I have no budget to do a RD story / scene the way I want it' - surely - ultimately, it would be a more sage decision to NOT do something and get the scene written better / carbug painted a different colour / the right actor involved etc, and not just do a 'something is better than nothing' parody of the show, which is arguably what BTE turned into.

In this respect, I think you can say that the decision to make a show at all, in a certain way IS solely the writers decision. That's also NOT meant as a denigrating comment to Doug, I am (as stated in my last post) - a huge RD VII and RD VIII fan, where Doug was flying solo. I'm boring myself here haha! :-D:lol:

16. bedfordfalls

But something was better than nothing. Nothing would have left us with Rimmer kicking death in the nuts as the last memory we had of Dwarf instead of the beautifully poignant Lister/Kochanski moment of bittersweet hope that BTE left us with (for many of us who follow Dwarf for its story not just for its comedy, myself included, one of the best scenes in Dwarf history).

Nothing would also have left us with no series X to even be having this discussion about and the potential for the show to go out on a high instead of what is widely regarded as it's all time low moment.

We wouldn't have had any of that if Doug had just shrugged his shoulders, taken the money and made a clip show...then went and bought himself a nice new car!

17. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I'm not certain about this, but I think the scene where Rimmer recieves his parking ticket in Dear Dave was longer in the trailer than in the episode. This may just be me remembering that I thought it was too long, but can anyone confirm this?

18. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

[​IMG]

19. Ant the Dragon

He's right, you know? :P

20. Ant the Dragon

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This was to you @Bluey