Terrestrial Red-Through

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by acerimmer_165, Mar 26, 2009.

1. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Dave is, obviously, a terrestrial freeview channel.

Obviously, I can't wait for them to broadcast Back to Earth.

However, it is , apparently, being shot in 4K resolution using "Red Cameras."

But Dave hasn't got a HD channel :x

Is there an way to view RD in HD when it is first being broadcast other than upscaling :?::?::?:

Or do I have to wait untill the DVD Release :-( (Which, by the way, I WILL buy)

2. ShortySco

ShortySco Skutter

I believe i read theat there are no current plans to broadcast or release the new Eps on HD format.... Still i'll love it even if its in H(ardly Any) D(efinition)

3. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Me2 (Bad pun intended) - if they don't release it in HD, what the Smeg? The Dwarfers are Back :-D

4. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

If it's HD wouldn't it only be worth buying on Bluray? Is it gonna be on blueray?

5. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

If it makes anyone feel better, any programme shot in HD will look better even in SD, although it will still be SD, it does ensure the best possible quality SD can offer.

Of course, Dave's low bit-rate on some platforms may make it a bit pointless, but still, good colours and a nice clear image should be there.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well even Blu-Ray isn't 4K. But no matter - for now, no, it's broadcasting in standard def, releasing on DVD (only) in June.

It's important to remember, though, that 'how a thing is shot' affects the look every bit as much as 'how it is shown'. For example Lost, 24 or The West Wing all shoot on film. Which makes them look infinitely better than the basic video of, say, Peep Show or Two Pints. Not just because of the stock being used, but also the camera, lighting choices, shooting style.

There's a geeky 'as it was meant to be seen' angle, I admit - but even at standard def it's still going to look like a movie. A good movie. Watch a great film on BBC2 at standard def and it looks better than the instalment of Newsnight that follows. resolution is an issue, but it's not the issue.

7. ShortySco

ShortySco Skutter

If my memory does serve me correctly, i think andrew said that only a DVD release had been planned.

Now if i could partake in a little wild speculation...... It probably costs a few quid extra to film in HD 4k, and if there are no HD plans currently this could suggest some future RD roadmap? Or maybe it's just to make it easier to sell in the future, since HD is becoming the norm.

It is very pleasing to see that despite the low budget (what would i know!) that the specials seem full of high budget ideas and techniques, it seems to be a real labour of love.

Can't wait. :-D

Edit: If only i'd waited, posted before i saw andrews post..., didn't realise it affecdted the quality of the SD broadcast too, cool!

8. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I think it's pretty clear it was shot in HD because it makes it a more attractive sale in international markets. It's also not too expensive to hire out HD cameras over SD, and considering they offer a nearly authentic film look, it's a no-brainer.

It does not really equate that shooting in HD means it's intended for the UK in HD, although it should in an ideal world. Quite a lot of shows here already film in HD but don't broadcast in it purely for international markets, Top Gear being a noteable example. No doubt if it's a sucsess it'll make it onto a HD format here eventually.

If it's broadcast in the US / etc. in HD it'll probably wind up on the net in WMV HD format too.

9. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

Upscaling will be fine, especially for the DVD release, after watching the Star Wars DVDs on a PS3 with a HD lead attached, releasing them on blue ray felt like a waste of money after seeing how .gorgeous. they looked simply through upscaling.