Text Track on the Remastered DVDs

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Daniel, May 15, 2009.

1. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I've recently been watching the remastered series II that came with Bodysnatcher (to my eternal shame I have only recently acquired it), but with the "What's different" text track included (I omitted from series I and will go back later). I'm wondering: just who wrote it?

I'm guessing Andrew had a hand in it, as he does seem to have a hand in everything (not a bad thing Andrew, I do believe you do a sterling job!). But if anybody knows for certain I would like to know, as after looking over the website I can't find the info anywhere, and don't recall it in the booklet. The text track is absolutely hilarious, and keeps me laughing throughout along with the episode in general (which I tonight learned I seemed to know word-perfect), especially all the random spoilers (and I'm proud to say I recognise some of them :-D)

On another note, I found a point you missed one point (daresay this has been done before, but I wasn't around before and I'm a very pedantic individual... or an irritating sod if you prefer:-(

In Parallel Universe, the bit where Rimmer states "So you're a girl then?" is left on a wide shot, whereas it was a close up of Chris before. This is not mentioned in the text track.

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I've just checked this on Bodysnatcher and Just the Shows Vol. 1...and, to my very own surprise, you're wrong! The shot is the same in both versions - stays on the wide.

Not that the text tracks are infallible, though. Watch out for one I missed in Polymorph, where a very, very odd video effect appears at 10:31, to the right or Kryten's head covering a small part of Lister's bunk blanket. You'd never know why unless you looked at the original - it's re-colouring the red boxer shorts that are visible on the bunk when they shouldn't be!

So yeah, to answer your question, I wrote the tracks. Not easy, cos there's no existing list of the changes; plus it had to be cranked out pretty fast, while making the rest of the Bodysnatcher DVD content. But there are, I hope, a few giggles in it.

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I'm wrong? I'll have to watch it back (when sober) to check, but I could havesworn it was a close up for that bit. I don't say THAT very often it must be said, but oh well. I will admit fault.

As for the text track as a whole, they have been cracking me up throughout, both with and without the booze. The endless list of non-RD spoilers are great, and I find it of particular amusement when I recognise one. Is there any chance of getting a list of those spoilers published (like the Easter Eggs)?

If I remember I'll check out that Polymorph point, but I'm a bit.... well drunk at the moment, so I'm not sure I'll remember this in the morning!

Again, congratulations Andrew. The text track is pure class.

4. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Okay I'm defintely wrong (just watched the scene back on Series II DVD, I'm THAT nuts about these things).

Well noted Andrew.

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

To be fair, I had to check before I replied. It's exactly the kind of thing that might have gone unnoticed!

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

To be honest, I'd be worried if you knew off the top of your head! There is a certain level of crazy hard-core fan, and then there is ANOTHER level. Since joining TORDFC I've realised I'm part of the former, not the latter, and it scares me.

Nothing against the crazy hard-core fans of course. I love you all dearly, and yes I am drunk, but so what! You all make me feel normal, and that's a hard task to achieve!

7. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

The episode Polymorph didn't even have a text track on it. Why? WHY?!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYHYHYHYHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Edit: Oh, wait a minute. Glitch on my part.

8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I found the text a tad juvenile at times, Andrew! But some interesting bits none the less. We look forward to series 4-7 being re-mastered too!

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

No we don't.

10. Ant E

Yes WE do!

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

4,5 and 6 are never being remastered, by now its too late for the BBC to care

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Oh no we don't... :-D

13. Ant E

SILENCE!!! :x:x:x:x:x:x:x

14. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Is it too late to keep out of this? :P

15. Strat-tastic

Yes. Please contribute. Meow.

16. Kittypaws

Holy moly - that's not the Andrew is it? Andrew Ellard?! :shock:

17. Ant E

:? :? :?

18. Strat-tastic

It sure is. He used to work here y'know ;-)

19. Kittypaws

Dude..! :-D

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Great bloke. Doing well by all accounts. 8)