The Aging of the Dwarfers

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone, Jul 10, 2016.

1. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

As I was watching Out of Time last night, something occurred to me I've never seen discussed anywhere. The "future crew" is reportedly 15 years older than the S6 crew. We have an absurdly fat & grey Rimmer, an extremely elderly looking Cat, a Kryten who is more or less the same plus toupee. It occurred to me that the RD episodes being produced now are actually probably about 15 years in the future in the RD universe from the events of Out of Time. Obviously the crew didn't follow the same path/timeline that the "evil future crew" did, but still, you'd think their physical appearance would more or less be the same regardless. If you figure that S8 takes place roughly one year post-Out of Time in-universe (not counting the time spent in stasis backtracking to the Esperanto to recover Holly), BTE clearly identifies itself as a further nine years after that (so we're at ten years post-Out of Time by this point), Series X probably spans another year or two after BTE, and without having seen any of the new episodes, it's probably safe to say XI and XII are another two years worth of stories after X. Even at the most conservative estimates, this would put the "present day" Dwarfers within a year or two age-wise of their "future selves" from Out of Time.

Interesting to note, then, that the Dwarfers have actually aged incredibly well. I haven't seen any shots of Cat from XI or XII, but Cat in X barely looked like he'd aged at ALL, and was certainly a far cry from the bald, elderly idiot depicted in Out of Time. Likewise Rimmer, who definitely looks older, still looks quite a bit younger than depicted in Out of Time. Obviously the different path they took had a different effect on their personalities, so we can't really expect those to be similar, but by all accounts the way a human ages is predetermined by genetics so you'd at least expect them to be physically similar.

It'd seem more realistic in-universe to ret-con the "future crew" from Out of Time to be from 30 years out rather than 15, but when has Dwarf really ever been concerned with continuity? I just thought it was interesting. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The 'old' make-up in Out of Time is awful, and as you point out, so inaccurate it's not even funny.

I was genuinely surprised at how many people voted for this episode in the 'favourite episode ever' thread. It's the worst of series 6.

3. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

I disagree that it's the worst of S6 (I'd give "Emohawk" that honor), but yeah, I have weird taste. :-)

4. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I guess if you wanted an 'in universe' explanation you could suggest the dwarfers saw their future selves in such a state so took better care of themselves than they would have done.

That or the encounter with their future selves was another unreality bubble and they didn't actually reach the time drive until 'Tikka' hence why they didn't really die and the time drive worked differently.

5. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

I didn't think of that. I love this idea.

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Could not disagree with you any more!
    I think it has one of the most exciting season finale cliffhangers ever broadcast on tv!!!
    :roll:

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Really?? Well I'm staggered!

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I always took it that they aged so poorly because they abused themselves with their dietary excess, was the make-up good? Hell no but there is a pretty legitimate reason as to why they aged like that.

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Very droll
    :?

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That was my take on it too. Their diet and their debauched lifestyle in general. And if they looked much older and different than they should have, that was all part of the gag and was even referenced in the show with their shocked reactions!

I liked this episode a lot.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't understand how anyone couldn't love Out of Time, though you're certainly not the first person on the forum to express a dislike for it. Never telegraphing where it's going, it's an episode that's funny, intriguing, thrilling - even tragic. And that last scene involving the fight with the alternate crew and Rimmer destroying the time drive is the most epic and exciting few minutes in all ten seasons to date. There's loads of brilliant ideas going around this episode - those few minutes in which we're lead to believe that Lister is actually a robot was a concept good enough to be the basis of an episode of its own.

It's number 2 in my personal list of favourite episodes of all time - just behind Back to Reality.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I can't quite put my finger on it, other than to say I don't think it's a particularly good episode on the whole, generally speaking. It just doesn't interest, excite or thrill me in the way other episodes do. The whole future selves just doesn't work for me, and as a result I don't care about the events unfolding.

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

14. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

Hey, never seen that chart before, but they were pretty accurate with Biff and Loraine there.

15. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

The elder crew were gluttons who lived a very decadent lifestyle; it makes sense that they'd be in very poor physical shape.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Those are very interesting comparisons and just go to show how difficult it is to age someone convincingly, even with today's tech.

I don't know if it's because we know the person underneath isn't really that old, but they always go too far and make them look older than their suggested age. When turning a 20yr old into a 50yr old, as in the BttF films, they should just dress them slightly more conservatively and add a few wrinkles, instead of adding huge prosthetic jowls, a grey wig and making them speak with a croaky voice.

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I always thought Star Trek overdid the ageing process too. It never looked natural.

18. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

Funny you mention this, because I just watched the episode "The Deadly Years" recently where the crew is artificially aged by radiation and thought the same thing.

19. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Maybe the Red Dwarf crew from 15 years into the future were actually form further into the future and lost track due to all the time travel they were doing, which also would not have been helped by the poor lifestyle they were living to begin with.

20. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

In Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, it shows that the faster you travel, the slower you age. One theory of time travel involves going faster than the speed of light, so they ought to look only a little older.

Yet another Red Dwarf inconsisitency. Whoda thunk it :lol:

Else they used another method altogether, because as well all know, faster than light speed is impossible... ;-)