The best and worst jokes in Series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ben996, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

Best -
    I thought the way the explanation of how they got out of the series 8 trouble was handled was perfect AND funny. You don't need to know at the end of the day, it was just funny.

And no one has mentioned the Cats CV

Rimmers freeze up

The Kryten "No we just hosed him down and gave him a hat" line

The Moose

Worst-
    the whole stirmaster bit was unneeded and drawn out
    Prof Irene E....I think Doug wrote himself into a corner in that episode with the ball exploder and it was a smeg way out.

Questions-
    How did rimmer get into the vault? Yeah he went soft light but how did his lightbee get through the door?
    Why did the rejuvishower have a returner remote...odd device for a shower.
    Did anyone else notice Jesus/Judas from the end of the episode was sat at the end of the table in the 'last supper' scene?

Fitting....Sunderland means 'Land given to the church'

2. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

^ Not to play "Mod God" but just to let you know before Seb gets here and points his all powerful finger at you in his all powerfully way :P you should probably remove the S word.. Not that it bothers me in the slightest, but I don't want you to get caught breaking the rules... Once you have heeded it, assuming you do, I will even edit this post and the Sebby P - P for POWERRR! will be none the wiser, as he is only all knowing when he is all reading.

I think very few jokes were terrible, only the far-too-slapstick stuff and Taiwan Tony. Which was a bad joke and nothing more or less than that.

There were practically a series worth of classic jokes/lines in every episode, which I loved!

Hosed him down, they do have an IQ of two, have you got any lemons? Um.. Hard to remember any more off the top of my head, despite having just read through all this thread just a minute ago haha my short term memory is burnt out while my long term memory is pretty awesome... Shame it doesn't help me at this moment :P

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Quite right. Let us never speak of S*nderland again. :lol:

He was in "projection mode". Something we've never heard of before but nicely retcons how he climbed into a table in Stasis Leak.

I'm guessing because people might not like the results of having been "rejuvinated" and as with Kryten in DNA, desire after the event to go back to their previous states.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Am I the only one who liked the vending machine humping moment? Reading through the thread, it seems very unpopular. I suppose it's series X's Dancing Blue Midgets moment.

My favourite part of series X was more of a sequence of jokes rather than just one. It was the first scene with Lister talking to his 'dad' in Fathers and Suns. Just comedy perfection. As I said at the time, I think it'll go down as a classic moment in the history of Red Dwarf.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Oh no, I think we have much bigger contenders for that.

The main complaints I've heard is how unrealistic Lister's methods of picking up the machine are. Once he plants one leg on the floor it becomes more realistic but the initial method is a little silly.

Personally, although its signposted from the moment he starts wheeling the machine around I think it's a quite well done gag and I actually watched it with relief (not that kind of relief, perverts!) after worrying about what Doug intended to write for the "getting jiggy with a dispenser" scene teased by Charles.

6. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it would have made more sense if Lister had his jacket caught and was struggling to pull himself up off the machine, thereby giving the impression that he was humping it. It seems so obvious that I can't understand why Doug didn't think of writing it that way.

Well, considering that at least one person has stated that they like that moment, it must, therefore, be likeable.

8. Sylux024

Sylux024 Third Technician

Good:
    The Phone on hold for days until the wrong moment xD
    Moose Joke
    The Lemon dealer

Bad:
    Guitar destroyed
    A joke I found offensive (don't remember it though)!
    Irene E

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Are you referring to the climax of the 'Lister and dad' scene?

10. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Best moment in the whole of series X - during the moose joke, Rimmer is setting it all up for Cat, whereby Cat wheels around and says "What accident?"

Classic, so classic.

11. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

I thought Series X kind of introduced Seinfeld Humor in. The long complex discussions they had about very simple things as they would in Seinfeld. Which Larry David the producer had nailed very well. I did like some of the Seinfeld'ish humor I saw but some things did drag out a bit. I can understand why some of you guys didn't like it, as it wasn't originally Red Dwarf humor to an extent. There were some silly discussions in the old dwarf but I can't name them off asap. I would like to mention that I liked the new Red Dwarf. Surely people would figure me to want a Red Dwarf XI, but I think there should be something fresh and new. Like a brother to Red Dwarf, a little different though. It could be a zombie parody in space seeing how people loved Shawn of the Dead...

There could be a few main characters, for instance... Shaun, Shaun's Best friend *Name isn't apparent*, Shaun's GF and Daniel. The mix was very humorous, I love British Comedy and I am American. It's only a handful of Americans that can get out of the Hollywood Syndrome there is today lol

But practically anything is possible, the directors should be aware that Craig, Robert, Danny are all getting a bit old for the act. They are all settling down or if not far beyond settled down, some are probably having grand kid's soon. I don't know about their personal lives, but I liked seeing this strong and enjoyable show kick off again. But asking for more and more, might be asking too much of them. Red Dwarf will always be there for everyone here to watch when they are tired, awake, sad or even angry. It unlike many shows, makes life a bit more relaxing at home.

It's time to see something new, even a new Red Dwarf with new actors for a change 'may' work. It REALLY depends on the outlook of things, and if people can accept some change. I'm going to miss Craig, one of a kid dude he was. Maybe if all of those actors have kids, they can carry off the story with them instead :-)

12. no_name

no_name Third Technician

Despite the fact that I really enjoyed the series for the most part, I had a few problems with it. Danny, Robert, Chris and Craig being too old for the act was not one of them.

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I really hope that this doesn't happen. It's not that I can't accept change, I wouldn't have stuck with Red Dwarf over the years if that was the case. I don't think that there's a problem with the actors aging in the slightest, people get old, it's part of life and so long as the characters are aging as well I don't see the issue. If they were still trying to pass Craig Charles off as mid-20s then it would be a problem IMO. I wouldn't want to see it re-done with new actors and I really don't see the necessity for it.

With the characters the ages they are now going with younger actors would pretty much inevitably lead to a reboot/reimagining which IMO is lazy writing, if you're going to redo the characters and backstory just cut the crap and write a new show.

I also would not want to see a spin-off series, I'm not sure if you were being serious when you mentioned Shaun of the Dead in space but as a TV series that sounds like a really terrible idea. Spin-off shows very rarely work, as examples I'm not a fan of Only Fools and Horses to begin with, but Green, Green Grass is IMO unwatchable. Friends I liked, Joey was dire. The Cleveland show is little more than Family guy with different animation. This broadly follows through in pretty much every case for me, whatever I think of the original show the spin-off is always an unfavourable comparison. The same broadly applies to US remakes of British shows.

14. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

A 'passing the torch' kind of thing would be, for me, the worst thing they could do.

So many 'franchises' have tried and failed that it's a curse, a sure-fire way to kill something stone dead.

15. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

Ugh, agreed. This idea just about never works. I wish people today were able to let something end with dignity, rather than just ressurecting it over and over until it turns out good again.

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Agreed with all the others regarding a potential reboot or spin-off. I would much rather they end Red Dwarf to this. Hell, I'd much rather they end Red Dwarf than get new actors in to play current parts (replacing any of them would be horrific).

I could just imagine a storyline involving a third Polymorph, which would mean the new crew would have to go through a timehole to backwards Earth (where they also find Kochanski's daughter) to have their emotions un-sucked, but they have to play pool with planets in order to create the timehole and stay close to a White Hole. The Polymorph is also accompanied by Mr Flibble (in a you'll-never-guess-who-we-brought-back moment) and Hogey.

Okay, I will admit that spin-offs and reboots can work - I enjoy the new Doctor Who (though it's a sort-of reboot/continuation), Torchwood and Private Practice (which have definitely become their own shows rather than spin-off imitations), and the Stargate spin-offs (of which, Atlantis is quite similar to SG1 and definitely the one most prefer). But with Red Dwarf, I don't feel it'd be justified.

17. tidus13

tidus13 Third Technician

You mean the point where sun cream and floppy hats are no defence because our noses have started melting onto our shoes which are now floating down the corridor in a river made up our own leg gravy?

This was the best line of the series I thought. To be fair I have only seen each episode a couple of times but I think this line is well funny.