The Big Question: Top Five Episodes

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by captainlisabeth, Oct 23, 2012.

1. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

It's near impossible to pick your absolute favourite Red Dwarf episode - well, it is for me anyhoo - so come on, let's lay our DVD's on the table and admit to our Top Five!

Not in order, mine are:

- Thanks For The Memory
    - Dimension Jump
    - Quarantine
    - Holoship

I actually can't pick a final one, because I'd really need to have a big ol' RD marathon to make my decision! I really loved Stoke Me A Clipper - though a lot of people seem to think it was quite weak, I really enjoyed it (particularly the cheesy opening scene - "This is my best top, damn it!") and always end up getting tingles when they send 'Rimmer' off to where all of the other Ace Rimmer's are floating around in space. The music is just fantastic.

Back To Reality is obviously another good one, though I would have LOVED to have seen it as an hour-long episode. Everybody loves Gunmen Of The Apocalypse, understandably. I love Marooned, The End and Body Swap too.

It's such a damned hard decision!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My five in order are:

1. Back to Reality
    2. Out of Time
    3. Gunmen of the Apolcalypse
    4. Fathers and Suns
    5. Marooned

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

1. Thanks For The Memory
    2. Out of Time
    3. Back to Reality
    4. Legion
    5. Holoship

... just edging out Me2, Stasis Leak and White Hole.

4. captainlisabeth

Oooh, Out of Time is a great ep, I forgot about that one... gotta love Rimmer in the final scene, absolutely brilliant.

Me2 is hilarious. Ah, gazpacho soup...

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

1. Back to Reality
    2. Quarantine
    3. Marooned
    4. Out of Time
    5. Queeg

6. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

1, Marooned
    2, Queeg
    3, Future Echoes
    4, Timeslides
    5, Back to Reality

7. omnomnominous

omnomnominous Third Technician

(In no particular order except for #1 which may be my all-time favourite episode)

1: Thanks for the Memory
    2: Polymorph
    3: Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    4: Me2
    5: Out of Time

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Randomly and in no real order probably something like:

1. Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    2. Stasis Leak
    3. Meltdown
    4. Legion
    5. Quarantine

However I don't necessarily think that these are the best 5 episodes of Red Dwarf. They are simply the ones I get the most enjoyment from re-watching. For example, Back to Reality is a better piece of television than Legion, but if I'm going to watch a random standalone episode I prefer Legion as I think that BTR's appeal is lessened a bit with re-watches when you know what's coming.

9. captainlisabeth

Likewise with mine, actually. TFTM is my ultimate fave, I can watch it over and over and over.

[​IMG]

I never fail to laugh at 'I feel like I'm having a baby!' :lol:

10. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

This is an impossible question, too many fave episodes hehe

The end
    Backwards
    Legion
    Tikka to ride
    BTE

11. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Tough question, I'll do my best to answer...

1) Future Echoes
    For an episode that touches on such massive science fiction elements (speed of light, seeing into the future, massive explosions, etc.), this episode completely thrives on its dialogue and creativity. The scene where Lister talks to Rimmer from two minutes into the future is priceless.

2) Marooned
    Another episdoe driven entirely by the interplay between Rimmer and Lister. The stories, the jokes, Lister's work-around of having to burn his guitar, the story about Alexander the Great...and of course, it gave me my username thanks to Rimmer reciting the famous "Now" speech.

3) The Inquisitor
    So many elements to like about this episode, but the highest point definitely comes when each of the characters has to justify themselves to...themselves.

4) Thanks for the Memory
    I can watch this episode over and over and over again. In fact, just last week when "Lemons" premiered, my brother-in-law and I made ourselves triple-fried egg sandwiches with chili sauce and chutney to devour whilst we watched. Rimmer's "I feel like I'm having a baby" line is a classic.

5) Meltdown
    This might be a bit of an obscure selection as I know a lot of people are critical of it. However, this was the first episode of Red Dwarf I ever saw back in the early 1990s during a BBC Marathon. I was hooked instantly and its remained among my most watched episodes to this day. Honorable mention goes to "Emohawk II" from Series VI, as that was the first Red Dwarf VHS I was ever given and I can recite that episode almost word for word.

12. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

wont put them in order cant decide

marooned
    Polymorph
    Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    Back to Reality
    Quarantine

13. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Marooned is my favourite and then in no particular order

Future Echoes
    Queeg
    Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    Psirens

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

So is there anyone else out there on the forum who has a series X episode in their top 5, or is it just me?

15. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Mr. Obvious here :-)

16. SuperHorse

SuperHorse Skutter

1. Legion

I love the final scene in this episode between Kryten and Legion (who is now in effect also Kryten) - how from that point onwards he is compelled by logic to help them escape and thus lose. And of course who can forget the antimatter chopsticks scene? Absolutely inspired.

2. Back to Reality

I think Red Dwarf is at its best when it combines its hilarity with an interesting concept or story. The idea of the Despair squid, the way it kills etc, is so clever but also (as a kid) was a little bit scary but in a fun way. Plus the shared delusion where they all become people they despise and gradually lose hope, was fantastic. Rimmer - "This is a nightmare! I'm on the run from the Fascist Police with a murderer, a mass murderer and a man in a Bri-Nylon shirt!".

3. The Inquisitor

The scene where they have to justify themselves to themselves is especially brilliant. Kryten and Lister's achievements, the likeable things about them that we as an audience admire (Lister as a moral person, Kryten for growing beyond his programming and essentially becoming "more" in our eyes), only help to condemn them here. Again I like the concept.

4. Demons and Angels

Rimmer in drag lol.

5. Gunmen of the Apocalypse

Fantastic from start to finish, loved this episode. The story, the set, the imagery and of course the gags were all top notch. Particularly funny when they all lose their special skills.

Truth is though there's so many that could make a top 5. Damn I miss Red Dwarf like this.

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

This is the Classic Dwarf thread. :x

18. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Trojan actually comes quite close for me. Painful not to include so many episodes on my list as there are so many to choose from, but it is a Top 5, after all.

19. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I'm so very close to putting Lemons in my top 5. Just watching it I was thinking "Wow, this is the sort of Red Dwarf to watch with a kebab after the pub at 2am!" Loved it. (Yes, Sim, I do need a beer to watch sit-coms ;-) ).

What the hell, I think i'm gonna put it in and i think I might even put it 4th :-)

1. Better Than Life
    2. Me2
    3. Back to Reality
    4. Stasis Leak
    5. Lemons

(I didn't put it 4th)

20. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

From the recent rate each episode thread, plus ep 1-3 of RDX, I have

The Inquisitor
    Back To Reality
    Camille

at 10/10, so picking two 9/10s I'd go for...

Beyond A Joke
    Trojan

Yay! One from RDX :-) Sorry Sim :-) And one from RD VII :shock: So sorry Sim ;-)