the big question

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, May 22, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

One of the most open and all encompassing questions, I've ever posed. Is globalisation a force for good or evil?

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Neither. But in an inevitably increasingly interconnected global world I think globalisation is inevitable. And makes sense. But could of course be potentially abused (like any other political/socio-economic system).

3. Iced Gemz

Iced Gemz Catering Officer

It's like a knife! A knife isn't a force for good or evil but can be used to do good things and can be used to do bad things! Good question! :-D I don't like globalisation! It says other cultures must be celebrate but preserve your own is racist and I don't think so! We can enjoy our own and other cultures but not merge into United Global Countries of America!

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

It's essentially an evil as long as we are still stuck in our archaic traditional ways of the past.

5. Freeborn

Being opposed to preserving valued aspects of ones culture is not a natural characteristic of globalization. But that's not to say that some people who support it don't think that way. Which I think would be a good example of the knife being misused (and/or misunderstood as the case may be), as opposed to an intrinsic structural fault of globalization itself.

With that said, I personally think the way globalization is currently being implemented has a wide range of pros and cons. But I'll end on that vague note for now as I have to get back my Assignment question (for which part of my answer incidentally links into a discussion about globalization :-) ) : "How do the themes of inequality, rights and justice help us to understand whether the state is the best protector of common resources?"

6. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

The idea itself is good, but very utopian. You can't simply get whole world together and hope it will work and all countries will respect each other.

7. neilold

thank you already for some interesting answers. the subject itself I chose because it has such a massively multifaceted openness to it. Including such things as capitalism, multiculturalism, immigration, emigration, economics and social issues by the bucket load. Thanks and please continue. Feebee I sorta expected you to be against globalisation, on a political level anyway. Because it encourages multi nationalism, capitalism to the nth degree and wage disparity

8. Iced Gemz

Iced Gemz Catering Officer

Neil I LOVE your signature! :-D :-D

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  9. neilold

my sig appears to have vanished on this computer, whether its being banned for some reason, or whether its just this computer I can't say! if you mean the sandpaper one, it struck me as a positive response to criticism. Though it is by no means my words, I got it from somewhere, I cant remember where now

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

It's still there...

11. neilold

Yes, it was just that computer!

12. Freeborn

Was this meant for me? If so, I am opposed to some of the ways it's currently being implemented as some kind of corporate capitalist monster on steroids...yeah.

13. neilold

yes it was meant for you, I got your name wrong

14. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

FeeBee Leveller - aka the Ozzie Vamp :thumbup:

Freeborn likes this.