The Cat was best in Series I

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by 74384338, Oct 5, 2013.

1. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

Don't all yell at me for this. I do like the character of the Cat and it would be nice to see more of him. I'm not saying he's degraded - just got less Cat-ish.

In Series I, and a bit in II, the Cat is a Cat. He acts just like one and doesn't have to tell us that he is a Cat, like he does later on. But in later series* he is less of a Cat, more a fashion-obsessed human. He is still funny but doesn't get his own scenes - those brilliant little snippets we got every so often of him alone being comically feline.

Anyone else know what I'm on about?

Series XI, in my opinion, should see him with decent scenes and being less of a stereotype of himself**.

Who's with me?

*Someone somewhere needs to invent a new plural for this word.

**This is a bit of a complicated point to explain. In later series the Cat seems to repeat some points in his jokes, to remind viewers of older scenes rather than being original. This is probably my pedantic nature bubbling to the surface again so if you've no clue what the smeg I'm on about, you can ignore me.

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

In terms of being more 'Catty' (and I'll admit I never really noticed him losing it until I saw it mentioned on the Red Dwarf site, although I can sort of see what they mean in retrospect) he has already become more inclined that way during BtE and Series X. At least in terms of spending time mooching around by himself and doing odd Cat Stuff. (The string moment in The Beginning, is a good example of that, although that struck me as a bit too silly at the time, yet still intrigued at how insightful he becomes is in that scene.)

3. Pendo

Pendo Second Officer Fan Club Team

I know what you mean, he is much less Catlike these days.

I think it would be hard to fit in those Cat scenes into the recent series because there's so much story to fit in. Having those standalone Cat scenes just showing him being a cat were nice in Series I to establish his character but I think they would detract from the stories in later series.

The explanation for Cat's change in character is down to him being domesticated by Lister. He has turned more human-like because he is surrounded by them.

4. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

I didn't mind the string scene too much. Being someone who was introduced to RD through Series X and Infinity, I thought that that was how the Cat was supposed to act. I still think it's a nice little bit, though his dialogue is a bit out-of-character and seems to be solely to advance the plot.

Good point. Didn't think of that at first.
    Still, can you truly domesticate a cat? I have always thought that cats are very independent and feral despite how long they spend with their owners.
    Perhaps the scenes would detract from the stories, but a compromise would perhaps be just a few lines of dialogue every so often to show that he's not just a human with fangs. That would make me so happy.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Character progression.

He has become more and more a team player as series 1,2 and 3 progressed

6. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Owning cats over the years or being owned by cats, I have noticed that the more you are loved by kitties the more they try to do the things that you do. One of my passed away kitties a female named Tiger would jump off her favorite seat and was totally mesmerized when ever I went to program the VCR. It was the same when I used the computer. The opposite is true also. I find my self imitating some of the sounds my current kitty makes. One of them lets him know that I spotted a little bug pest on the wall for him to destroy.
    So in other words, the cats are not the only copy cats that act like their owners, its on occasion where the human acts like the cat.

But yeah getting back to the topic, Yeah I do miss the way Cat was more catty but for stories to stay fresh, they must have a chance to develop and change over time. Just the bummer truth.

7. Highjump

Highjump Second Technician

In the first series he did seem a lot more james brown like and he some what lost that until the new ones where he tried to bit to hard to bring it back. Don't get me wrong i love the cat through the whole thing but it does seem bit pushed near the end but that is understandable for a character that's been around for so long same with the rest. I must say he still kills in the new ones his one liners or woofers are always great.