The Chief Objections Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by HO HO HO I'M JMC, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

About the light bee - I always assumed while Rimmer was on Red Dwarf he didn't need a light bee as it had projectors on board. When he is on Starbug or on other ships, he uses the bee as a remote projection unit.

Perhaps there are parts of the ship where Rimmer needs to switch to a light bee, like in cargo areas (like when Lister crushes Holy Rimmer's bee in Demons and Angels).

Sometimes he uses the bee, sometimes he doesn't. Depends where he is and what technology can support him.

About the radiation leak - if the ship was completely sterilised of all bacteria which means nothing decomposes, then shouldn't Lister die shortly after leaving stasis? I can't imagine a human lasting very long on a ship with absolutely zero bacteria.

Also, if bacteria was allowed to live, and breed, and evolve, wouldn't Lister also die from being exposed to an environment that his body has absolutely zero immunity to?

This kind of thing always pops up whenever time travel comes up. Leaving the environment that your body has spent years building itself up to protect you from, and entering an environment that is now completely different, I would imagine, would be like walking onto an alien planet without a space suit. You would end up like the aliens in War of the Worlds, surely?

Cat would be fine because he evolved from that environment, but Lister would get sick.

So, if Holly somehow managed to replicate or preserve a Lister-friendly environment, which the Cat people also share - this still causes problems whenever they go back to previous versions of Earth or other spaceships without suits.

This is just something that's not really an issue exclusive to Red Dwarf, but pretty much anything with time travelling human characters. Shouldn't they all end up deader than a can of spam?

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

No he didn't. Holly completely sealed off the cargo decks where the cats were from the rest of the ship until shortly before Lister was released from stasis, so the cat people's environment was a separate one and I would assume with different influences on it would have evolved differently.

If I had to provide an explanation of sorts, bacteria would have entered the main crew quarters from the cargo decks, presumably medicine is sufficiently advanced that Lister can be given a series of inoculations and/or anti-biotics off screen until his immune system can cope by itself.

3. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

This is an absolutely superb idea!

Have we ever seen the light bee aboard Red Dwarf? I thought it was introduced there, but now believe the scene in question (from Meltdown) took place on Starbug. I'd have to check.

If not, I'm quite happy for the light bee to replace the holocage, and for neither to be necessary on Red Dwarf itself.

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

No, the light bee is first introduced on Red Dwarf itself after Kryten makes the comment about Rimmer having a "Small physical presence".

5. HO HO HO I'M JMC

I think that scene is on Starbug - at least, according to the script online:

I'll dig up Just the Shows later!

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

The answer is that it's both, well sort of. The opening scene is in the bunkroom on Red Dwarf as Rimmer recounts his Risk story when Kryten appears with the Matter Paddle, as the bunkroom scene ends he says "We'll meet you by the navi-comp in Star Bug." So it seems that it's in Starbug, but the Bug itself is almost certainly still in its hangar bay.

7. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

These are great replies.

I also like to think that in The End, when Rimmer puts his hand through the console by mistake, that was just because he was still booting up and his 'collision' hadn't been 'streamed' in yet. After all, Holly by this point is now senile.

8. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Do you know - I don't think it matters if Starbug is in the hangar bay (and I agree that it probably is - because they don't have anywhere to fly to, and I'm not even sure why they go there at all).

Projectors require line of sight. If the ship supports holograms by having projectors all over the ship, it wouldn't be able to project him into Starbug. Unless Starbug had projectors inside, he would need his light bee just to board it.

I'm coming round to the idea that Red Dwarf would have holo-projectors in the living and command areas, but not necessarily everywhere on board. So you wouldn't expect the light bee to be used in the bunk room or flight deck (hence Rimmer no. 2 appearing out of nowhere at the end of Confidence and Paranoia). But a light bee might be required on Z deck or wherever, or if Rimmer wanted to access a confined space (like the inside of a berthed shuttle).

9. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Let's "Chiefly Object" to Balance of Power!

Chief Objection

My chief objection to this episode is the fact that Lister tries to pass the chef's exam. His basic strategy is sound, but the choice of "chef" is inexplicable. It's established quite early in the episode that the person who changed the bog rolls also outranked Rimmer. It would have been far easier for Lister to qualify as a caretaker (or any other number of roles) than a chef.

The obvious counterargument is that Lister was exaggerating about the man who changed the bog rolls. However, I think it's an established part of Red Dwarf lore that literally everyone on the ship except for Lister really did out-rank Rimmer.

Also, bearing in mind Holly's update in the following episode: why doesn't Lister re-sit the exam until he passes it? Based on Rimmer's efforts, you can take them as often as you like - no matter how poorly you've done in the past.

Assorted Minor Objections

What on Earth is going on in the first scene? Is Rimmer just proving he's successfully memorised the inventory? It's not like he's looking up the quantities and seeing if they agree with Lister's list. He's just telling Lister what there is and Lister's going check, yes, that's right.

Why is there a toilet in the bunkroom? Is this prison? Are bunkmates just meant to crap in front of each other? We know from the previous episode that there are communal facilities on board anyway.

Lister claims that Jean-Paul Sartre's friends were all French. In fact, Sartre was in Berlin for a while and presumably had some German friends. His circle included at least one Russian or Ukrainian (I can't remember her nationality). However, I'm recording this as a minor objection because a) Lister is unlikely to be well-read in 20th Century French philosophy and b) it seems most of Sartre's friends were indeed French.

It does not seem plausible that Rimmer would mistake a mirror for a painting.

When Holly gives Rimmer a clean uniform, the end of the tie hangs below his belt. This is a fashion faux pas. The tip of the tie should be a little higher than the belt. I was tempted to make this my Chief Objection, but then it occurred to me that the fashion might change between now and Rimmer's time.

Mistakes about the future

In his opening message, Holly claims that Western-style saloon doors are still widely seen in clothes shops. This seems unlikely.

10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

OK, I'll have a go at the first bit. We know that Lister wanted to get Kochanski's disk, but he also wanted to get his own back on Rimmer by humiliating him - making him salute him and call him 'sir'. Perhaps on the ship there was a rule that only officers were addressed in this way, and so chef (being the lowest ranking officer) was the obvious position for Lister to aim for. As for him not retaking the exam, here is a guy who is sooo bad at cooking that when attempting to make roast beef, he ends up producing a cake. Maybe he thought there was just too much effort involved in getting to the required standard (after all, he could only cope with art college for 97 minutes!).

11. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Good thinking, Callisto - although he would, perhaps, have given up on the officer bit and tried for a non-commissioned role?

Another possibility: perhaps "chef" was the most achievable role that depended on a non-invigilated exam? We know from The End that the engineers' exam had an invigilator. Other roles might have been awarded on the strength of face-to-face interviews. So perhaps "chef" was the most achievable accreditation that Lister could do under his own steam...?

12. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Me2 - How are there two Rimmers? I thought Red Dwarf could only sustain one hologram. If there are two Rimmers then why couldn't there have been both Rimmer and Kochanski?

If I was Lister, that would have been my first question, shortly before smashing the console to bits in frustration.

Body Swap - there's no good reason I can see where a person with the mind of someone else would sound exactly like the hijacker. They don't swap vocal chords - they would assume the accent but the voice should remain like the host.