The competition

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by wavesd, Nov 3, 2017.

1. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Right all you Red Dwarf fans....OK stop looking at the floor like you're apologising for something, look at me, LOOK AT ME, and answer the question.....oh hold on, I haven't asked anything yet, sorry I was getting a bit ahead of myself.

I have been thinking (dangerous I know) but it is really only Blackadder that competes with Dwarf for 1 -2 - *bang* type gags. Does anyone have any other shows that they like for one liners, or nice 1 or 2 set up type jokes?

I also think that Dwarf excels in the character based jokes, as in how well the characters are formed and then the jokes made about that character - for me that is Office or Phoenix Nights type territory. Any other ideas in that respect?

I wish there was something I could compare the sci-fi aspects to; I would say Trek, SG-1, Babylon 5 all had good ideas (and these are the programs I like) - but I genuinely thing Dwarf had the better sci-fi type ideas - is there a good sci-fi show out there?

(Apropos of nothing....I actually feel I know the characters in Dwarf better than almost all grounded 'real' TV shows - it is a sci-fi comedy, but it is better written and performed than a TV drama about war crimes, or hard hitting teleplay about the fiscal deficit in 1970s Argentina.)

2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I love the first 5 seasons and season 7 of Stargate SG-1. It's more the history aspect then the sci-fi aspect that I love.

Firefly maybe? Its short and has no aliens like Red Dwarf. Feels more like a cowboy and western story in space and I think its more like the anime Cowboy Bebop then Red Dwarf.

3. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

The anime Planetes probably reminds me more of Red Dwarf then anything else sci-fi based I watch. It about the lowest ranked members on the ship who collect space garbage in the atmosphere of earth.

4. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

What are 1 2 bang jokes?

5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    About the only thing I can come up with is "Lexx". A Showtime original series that ran for a couple of years. Its got some comedic aspects but is mostly science fiction. It s ..... o.k. not great. I've been watching it sporadically here lately.

And I HAVE to give a shout out to "Tripping the Rift", its a science fiction comedy. Animated from the ....... I don't know ...late 80's/early 90's ..... so its C.G.I. is a bit dated but its one of the funniest science fiction based shows ever made. The first two seasons especially. I own them all and re-watch on a regular basis. (Only show besides Red Dwarf I do that with)
    These Guys .....
    [​IMG]
    Whose ........ adversaries are the Dark Clowns, led by this guy Darth Bobo
    [​IMG]

6. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I agree I did not explain that!

What I mean by that is there are a lot of 'in' jokes in Dwarf and situational ones , but by 1 - 2 bang I mean almost stand up comedy type jokes, a couple of lines of set up, and then a punch line; the kind of joke that would work in almost any comedy show. I think Doug is the master of these type of jokes.

7. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Oh gotcha, as far as I can see most sitcoms have them don't they?

8. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    One liners? You want one liners you say? Head to youtube and watch some Rodney Dangerfield stand up routines. Earlier the better.

9. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Most sitcoms have them (or try to have them) I just think Doug's are the best - or certainly among the best. As stated I can only really think of Blackadder as having that level of quotable gags*. I will give an example My Family: two great leads (Robert Lyndsay and Zoe Wannamaker) it is a show basically that tries to run on 1-2-bang type gags and it only hit about 5-10% of the time; Red Dwarf isn't like that, it has well created characters and situations that lead to laughs, and the 1-2-bang gags are just filler really....but they are still good.

*Not criticising comedies that due to formula don't have lots of stand-alone quotable gags, Spaced for example, not too many gags there that work when removed from the context of the characters and situation, but still a programme I love. And then Partridge and the Office have quotable lines, but if you are unaware of the context they are meaningless.

Dan.
    Dan.
    Dan!
    Dan!
    Dan!
    Dan!
    Dan!
    Dan!!
    Oh, no, he's not seen me. I'll get him later.
    DAN!!!

10. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

11. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I think Doctor Octopus from Spider-man is better than all these things