RDXI / RDXII The difference with newer Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by DAN_JMC, Nov 10, 2017.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I should preface this by saying, I overall really liked series XI. Series XII to me has been more of a mixed bag, same as with X although XI has reused too many jokes from old shows which X didn't really. There's some really good bits and there's episodes I think are really well written, but to me RD still seems a bit off. The good episodes have an odd few moments that don't quite feel right and a few episodes (I'm looking at you Lemons) are pretty dreadful.

After a while I think I know what's bugging me. Red Dwarf feels like an American sitcom now. The gags and the way they're acted feels like a US sitcom, and don't get me wrong I like US Sitcoms (Seinfeld is in my top 5 comedies ever) but they always feel a bit forced, a bit showy, a bit fake. Probably because I was born and brought up in England. An example is in Lemons where Lister makes a reference to Jesus's penis, using a comedic term I've not heard but basically a generic Jewish American type name you'd expect to hear from someone like Jackie Mason, not an English blokeish lad like Lister.

I watched the hated US Pilot again recently and you know what, it's not that bad. Some of the jokes are the same and the new jokes are actually funny. It's not the same because they're played by different actors, but if that script was filmed with the regular cast today, people who love the new series would probably laugh their arses off, because the humour works as American comedy humour. But all the fans have been appalled by it even though our RD has moved closer and closer to a US Sitcom

The humour now, feels like a US show. I even watched a video on youtube where someone else (an American) pointed this out, so it's not just me.

So basically, Red Dwarf is still mostly funny, it's still clever, but it doesn't feel like the same show, and I'm really puzzled when people say it feels just like series I - VI where for me it's actually very different.

RainbowGazelle likes this.
  2. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I was thinking earlier that I'm just glad to have some Red Dwarf than none atall.
    Yes it's not ever going to recapture the magic of the first 6 series but id rather these new episodes than anything in Series 8, gawd that sucked ass.

3. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I think it's not at all far off the mark a few times this last series. Factoring in that reminiscing about old dwarf will focus mainly on the best bits, and there were dud bits too. Given that comparing Dave-era dwarf with classic dwarf consumes so much of the discourse on this forum, perhaps we should have a thread asking what bits in classic dwarf we might criticise if they'd been done for the first time in the Dave-era. I can think of a few off the top of my head.

UltraDevotee and Abe like this.
  4. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Interesting. I've been trying to work out what feels off, and you could be onto something.

DAN_JMC likes this.
  5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

It's not that I don't like the newer episodes or find them funny, it's just a different sort of humour as lot of times. A bit cornier, a bit more hammy, just a bit less natural. Not all bits, but to me the overall feel is more like a slick, writer teamed, churn out the jokes type deal you get in the US.

In this video I watched after feeling this way, the person brought up RD America and how this possibly influenced series VI (which out of the classic era is often looked as the weak series) and beyond.

Personally to questions of viewing RD through rose tinted glasses, I was never as keen on series one and still think it's lacking the tightness of II to VI.