The End?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by tinstar, Apr 12, 2009.

1. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

Well there we have it, I have my own thoughts on the series but let's see what the powers that be make of it. It was a gamble, that's for sure. Did it pay off? There were many criticisms from the outset, but many loved it.

If it is recomissioned by Dave for a tenth series - and granted that is a big if - what lessons do you take from the trilogy? How can it be improved? I know I have my suggestions, but I'm trying to be constructive in the event it takes place.

What did you guys and gals think of the new format? Would you go big budget again? CGI? Or strip it down? What would you like to see more of, less of? Londger episodes? The laughter track/live audience etc...

Again, I'm sure we'd all be interested in getting this to air no matter what we thought of Back To Earth, I'm trying to get us to reflect on what parts worked/ what parts didn't for you if and when a new series were to be made. Would you be interested in watching it, or has BTE left you cold?

Maybe someone can pass this on to Dave if people wish it to.

2. robbieg

robbieg Skutter

I would love it if they made another series but I would like to know what ever happened to series IX and I would much rather it if they had the laughter in the background as it makes it seem more like a comedy.:-D

3. con_leason

con_leason Skutter

id love another series but they need the laughter in the background and the original sets, like the scutter dint look right i prefered the old one from the original series.

4. westsworld

westsworld Skutter

I really dont get why so many people are slaggin it off...

I think it was damn clever!!
    There was no "canned" laughter because there never was, it was filmed in front of an audience. In BTE there wasnt an audience and as they travelled to another dimention, to them there lives are real and ours where made up because of the despair squid...

And we are not missing any series's it was set after series 8... did you not get that rimmer was a hologram again??? and that he had met the despair squid before which the rimmer in 7 and 8 hadnt. He had been resurected after that so he wouldnt of had the antibodies from the first one so it had to be the rimmer that laft to be ace rimmer who had returned.

Im not saying it was the best thing in the world and im not completly happy about it.... i hate coronation st!! haha
    but im really hoping that this has gained a big enough following again for dave to make more episodes. it will never be like the first 6 series's as theyve never had all the writers back on board which is what they REALLY need. Rob Grant needs to be back on the scene!!!

anyway i am happy that it was brought back and am keeping my fingers crossed for more episodes!!

oh and i was guttered when i found out that Kochanski didnt actually die!! was pissing myself laughing when lister went to her grave

5. Commander_mARC

Commander_mARC Skutter

Shame on those trying to tear it down.

It could of been better, it should stay in space and not Coronation Street. It was bound to be rusty 1st time back after a decade.

I've ordered the DVD off Play.com and will order it on Blu Ray of it materialises.

I want more. Series 9, series 10, series 11, keep it coming Doug.

6. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Personally unlike other people, I've never really seen the need to moan. If something goes awry, the engineer in me tells me to attempt to fix it.

Here's what I think a future production of Red Dwarf should do:
    • Keep using the Red One camera!
    • Use Digital sets, as the green screens can double function. Particularly as corridors!
    • Have Goodall produced ad break stings - so model shots can be used to divide the breaks.
    • Return of Ed Bye. Not that there's anything wrong with Doug but he's doing enough work already.
    • More writers. VII was onto something there. Grab everybody to the writing table.
    • Invite Rob Grant to the writing table. He ain't gonna come but at least it was explored.
    • Have 42 minute episodes - 23 minutes is going too fast for an individual story and would need a very high gag rate.
    • Consider charging an audience to see episodes being filmed/ record laugh track - possible budget increaser?
    • As good as that CGI skutter was, preferably would like it to complement it with real RC skutters
    • Try utmost efforts to secure a model unit. Use 35mmfilm, same as always. Reuse existing models and parts where possible.

Actually, that list should be pinned to Doug's wall.

7. fluffz

fluffz Skutter

This tiny, teeny, tinty little series was awesome made me laugh and cry.

i know there is more to come, its so obvious why it cant end at this point.

lots more to come ! many more series to come me thinks ;-)

8. raltenbach

raltenbach Skutter

I notice quite a few comments across the entire board about the lack of an audience or laugh track. The VHS copy of series 7 I have has no laugh track (it was the first one to be filmed without an audience) and I think it enhances that series. I've seen it broadcast with the added canned laughter and it seemed wrong. Seeing Kennedy kill himself and fade away in silence is much better than hearing a bunch of chuckles in the background. Ouroboros with a laugh track is a sin as well.

Back on topic:
    I think about half way through part 2 everything suddenly clicked and it felt like Red Dwarf again. As long as a new series doesn't spend too much time reminiscing I think it could be great. About ten minutes into part three I started to feel really sad, knowing there was only a few minutes left to go. I didn't realize how much I missed these characters, but I sure do now. The green screened sets were a little distracting. Usually when I see a shot that uses a green screen, I tense up slightly, knowing some crazy effect shot is about to take place. Having that tension throughout the entire first part of the episode kind of took me out of the scenes. That's not a gripe on the show, just a personal issue. I'm sure I'd get past it eventually. Although I would love to see the old sets again, budget permitting. If this is the end, I find it a worthy send off, much more than Only The Good.

Alas, poor Dwarfers, we knew you well.

9. grownsomuch09

grownsomuch09 Third Technician

OMG! I didn't realize that..u r right..Rimmer wouldn't know about the despair squid. Sweet!!! That means if there is a 9th & 10th series... ....then Ace will be back! or the old Rimmer as Ace..either way ~ he'll get to put on the wig!

10. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

Unless, of course, they reloaded a hologram save with all of Rimmer's experiences... :-D

11. grownsomuch09

u think??? Well, I guess he did have access to all the ships files in series 8...and then 2 series after to have it brought up @ least once. I guess they could've done that...or he's probably gone on an updated Rimmer Experience 1000s of times, lol!

12. MefuneAkira

MefuneAkira Skutter

No way this is the end. No way the cast and crew felt "yes, this is the way we should end it all" If this was indeed the sign off series, they would have ended ended it. Know what I mean?

This is the start of season IX. Thats how I see it. Yeah , I know I may be waiting a long time for the rest of the episodes...3 million years?

13. grownsomuch09

I think series X is coming to cable TV first ~ and we will get a straight to DVD release of series IX. Why?? To make more money in DVD sales ~ to not wast time by airing it and cause it wouldn't make much money or non at all with out the merchandising sales. They are getting old...so seems fair to make a tenth series and then possibly a movie, an eleventh series or @ least one more last special! The 9th series could already be finished...I had know idea about this special until like 2 weeks before it aired...and weird cause I decided to have a Red Dwarf marathon after not watching them for at least a good 2 years. Though I did once or twice a year check up on reddwarf.co.uk. 2009 has been a great year and a wonderful surprise!

14. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Cable TV? What?

15. BRIJcnt

BRIJcnt Skutter

I really hope this isnt the end, I want to see them return to earth, and for it to be our earth, not another hallucination of earth or a backwards earth with people going backwards (Don't get me wrong, I love every refrence I just gave).

When I first sat down and fell in love with the show back in 91 (God, I was 7), I was so eager to know if lister made it back to earth. Since then, I've watched it constantly and have loved EveryThing I have watched. Doug's writing went a bit off key when Rob left show, but if they were to make a series 9 or ten, then I think rob should consider joing the fold once again, for the fans, the ones that gave him a nice bank account to begin with lol.

Back to Earth. when I first heard they were coming back home, I physically felt sick with excitement. and I found out in bloody Feburary, so I started making my own version of the story up with what I had heard this Back to Earth special was all about. My story was a basic idea. they go through a portal like they do in BTE part 1 except the whole ship goes through, not just them inside the ship, and end up on the other side of the moon, and they fly around the moon and bang - they see earth and head straight for it. But what happened to them back on earth was something I could never play in my head, just how they got to earth I played around with. I wasnt angry, I wasnt upset, I wasnt gutted that they used the despair squid again. I think it's an awesome way to play with our heads. cuz thats what I think this mini series was all about.

DOUG: it's been 9 years since sereies 8, have this and work this out ya bastards

That's what I think this special was, a build up for what they could do 9 years later, the effects, the story, the casting - it was all great. I was taken aback with no 'canned laughter' or studio audience like they did in every other sereies (minus 7), but that literally lasted five minutes, I know when to laugh at something I find funny, so the 'laughter' wasnt an issue for me. And I've read people having a moan at the music, the music I thought was really well placed. I mean when they get sucked through the portal and that music plays as Rimmer suggests they frame (cant remember her name - didnt pay no intrest to her), I thought it was a good tune.

All in all, I think this is a fantastic effort of working back some Red Dwarf magic, doug, Craig, Chris, Danny, robert, crew ad of course Dave - thank you very much and I really, really, hope that some questions on my mind will get answered in series 9 and ten. Do it Doug, we want it and you knwow!!!!

q. How did rimmer get back to being a hollogram, where and when did he die for this to take place
    Why does Red Dwarf look so posh and really well done out, considering last time we saw it, it was getting eaten

16. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

Well here's my take. If Dave commissions another series, for the love of god, get the script firing on all cylinders first - cut out the chit chat, push the plot forward, provide twists, shocks, surprises, LAUGHS, mess with our heads, make sure it's irreverant, we don't want the amerianised crap with "I love you" pathos. It's a cheap BBC2 comedy - the best years were series 5 and 6 - that's what we want more of, not the overblown tripe that just aired.

It's clear that Doug Naylor is not the man to do this. He just isn't, look at series 7 and 8 - painful to watch, as was this latest offering on the whole.

The show and characters in this still have something to offer - there's a lot of love for this show - I don't know why - I don't know what it is, but it's there. There is a fan base longing for a repeat of the good old days. I don't know how or if it's even possible to recreate, but cor blimey, isn't it worth taking the time to do it. And do it properly?

17. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

I sincerely hope that they convince *someone* to commission a new series.

But here's an idea... Why don't they set up a donation website? It would only need to be a Paypal ordeal.
    Stick something official up, with a target cost and a donation button.

Anybody that gives a damn can donate a bit of money. Any amount.
    There's nothing stopping them doing that. The specials were made through the CGI support of fans, weren't they? And the car was bought by Naylor himself (I heard).

Why don't they bank on this fanbase to get them back on TV?:P I'd certainly donate a few quid. It'd be nice to get a bit more information to fans than was communicated over the last ten years though.

18. merts123

merts123 Skutter

Could we have it instead of Coronation Street. Pleease.

19. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

How are these soap operas still running? Surely they've exhausted every possible plot device in the universe by now!:twisted: