The ending.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Dwarfer_Stu, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

I was trying to think of what a good end to Red Dwarf would be.. as in, what the final final scene should be. And this probably would be a bit of a downer actually now come to think of it..

But I think it would be kind of funny for the final scene to be set way in the future, with lister and cat's skeleton all mouldy and dusty sitting in the bunkroom, with rimmers damaged and broken light bee on the floor... and Kryten preparing them dinner and talking to them like theyre still alive.

What do you guys think would be a good final send-off for the show?

2. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I'd prefer something a bit more upbeat, where we see them happy as they are, enjoying adventures in deep space.

I'd have them come back into the bunkroom after another near death experience, bickering away, then I'd have Lister sit down and start eating some curry, cat start checking himself out in the mirror, Rimmer practice his salute in the mirror and Kryten start mopping. Red Dwarf is their home now.

The Cat, Asclepius, Abe and 1 other person like this.
  3. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I don't care so long as it's good and doesn't involve a lift accident because those scare me

4. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Wow, that's really dark! I can certainly imagine that ending, and then seeing Red Dwarf moving slowly away into space and fading out as it does in the original opening, before the credits roll... God, that would be upsetting though.

All things considered, I think I'd prefer Pembers' version.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I smiled when I read this ending. It might make a good alternative/possible future as part of a timey-wimey episode but I'd want a more satisfying ending for the dwarfers.

I wouldn't object to them arriving on Earth, and finding it a paradise. But even that is kind of unsatisfying. I don't think Lister would know what to do in Eden. Perhaps if Lister discovered he had a child with Kochanski (apart from himself, perhaps why she bailed when he was being a goit prior to BTE) and that child met other folk perhaps from parallel universes or the past, and they began a flourishing civilisation on another world. If the dwarfers found them, the final scene could be the dwarfers sailing off in Red Dwarf for more adventures, Lister knowing that he'd made a significant contribution to the Universe.

6. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

according to the VIII scriptbook, there was a dropped final episode from Series 8 called "Earth" where they used antimatter from the mirror universe to travel faster-than-light, allowing them to finally get back home. it turns out the human race had survived, but when Red Dwarf crashes down onto Earth it lands in the sea, causing a tidal wave that entirely wipes out the planet. then Rimmer would get out of the ship and say "sorry, didn't see you there. sorry." and apparently that was how the show was supposed to end.

if there ever were a definitive final episode, i'd quite like to see "Earth" in some form. it just feels like a very fitting and funny way to end the show

The Cat likes this.
  7. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

They find Earth in the final scene, paving the way for a spin-off series (or film) called Beyond Red Dwarf, detailing their adventures on Earth with cat civilisations, various evolved predators and parasites and, of course, the odd simulant.

The Cat likes this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Is that script avaible online somewhere? I quite like it.

I can imagine end, when they almost land on Earth, but then the Earth suddenly explode and Lister just say: "Oh, smeg!" and this would be the last ever line.

The Cat and Paul Taylor like this.
  9. Dwarfer_Stu

Or they find a way to travel faster-than-light, accidentally overshoot earth by quite a bit, the FTL drive blows up, and now they're 3 million years away from earth in the other direction.

10. Dwarfer_Stu

In the novels, the ice planet they're on in 'marooned' is actually Earth, and then at some point it all melts away and underneath is revealed to be a garbage world like in the movie 'wall-e' (of course the red dwarf novel was first though). I like this idea, in that the rest of the solar system was colonised but earth was turned into a garbage world.

Mardroid likes this.
  11. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

...Brittas wakes up.

The Cat, Ant E, Paul Taylor and 3 others like this.
  12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

According to Doug he doesn't wanna ever write a final episode because he says he knows the fans wouldn't like it and because he would prefer to write a fun silly story as a last episode then a proper ending.

He said there were elements of Listers Dream to go to fiji with white horses and stuff in the original last episodes for Series X which was gonna be called "Earth 2" but they didn't have the budget or location shooting to do it.

But since its clear Doug doesn't wanna end the show i assume it was gonna be abit similar to Skipper where Rimmer got what he finally wanted but decided not to keep it.

13. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I think it would be best if there wasn't a final episode (much like Doug said in SFX). That way you can dream up the ending yourself, rather than be forced down a timeline that could end rather negatively. So, if Lister dies at the end then every time you watch a previous episode you'd know where they're heading. It's much more fun not knowing, and then just being free to let your mind go wild.

The Cat, Pembers and Paul Taylor like this.
  14. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I always thought of Lister reaching earth, getting what he wants but getting bored of that: 9 to 5, boring life and deciding to go back into space with his 'real family'.

The Cat likes this.
  15. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

I know it's cliche.....but a digitally Deaged Craig Charles is woken up in the jmc recruitment hall on Mimas wearing fishing waders and a crimplene hat by admiral rimmer who says "ok Mr Lister all you have to do is sign here and you will be ready for your maiden trip to Earth"..... to which Lister says "no smegging way!" grabs his cat box and runs back to a stolen hopper..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Mardroid likes this.
  16. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Lister, Kryten and the Cat have found modern-day Earth (Rimmer's no longer around, his light bee has been destroyed). Lister is reluctant to go to Earth, but Kryten convinces him it's for the best. Kryten, however, won't be going to Earth as he reckons he'd have to be in hiding all the time (people would experiment on him to find out what he is, where he's from, etc).

As Lister says his goodbyes to Kryten, the crew receive a message from Ace Rimmer (as in the Rimmer who left in Stoke Me a Clipper). Ace has somehow managed to find Jim and Bexley as kids, prompting Lister to decide to get to wherever Ace and co. are, and abandoning going to Earth. Everyone's happy, apart from Cat, who thought he was rid of Rimmer.

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I've heard Doug say he doesn't want to write a final episode but didn't agree with his reasoning, especially since he wrote a wonderfully cathartic ending in Last Human already and many of us would like that sort of closure for Lister. However I've never heard the other stuff about the lost episode. Do you have a link to a particular interview.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

At 3:50

I thought it was the same interview where he said he prefers just to write a silly fun episode as a final episode but i guess its another interview that i can't remember where.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  19. Friaser Crane

Friaser Crane Third Technician

The last episode should be a lot like the Hit TV show Fraiser. Where Lister moves to start a new job in a new city.

20. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

The ship lands on earth, Lister, Cat and Kryten walk out of the ship. Rimmer stays behind a bit, unsure if he's still needed. Lister returns with a big grin: "Come on then Rimmer." and they walk out into the future together.

The Cat likes this.