The ending.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Dwarfer_Stu, Nov 15, 2017.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Nah, I don't want an Ending. I like to think the Red Dwarf Posse will always be out there..... somewhere...... making people laugh. We know that eventually Dave will die, as will Cat. We know that eventually whatever power's Kryten will run out or breakdown and the same goes for Arnold. We all KNOW this on some level but..... why "see" it? We already know it will happen, entropy rules all in this Universe. But somehow....... the crew ..... well, I like to think they will always be around, jumping from one dimension to another forever looking for something they will never find or achieve. I don't want to see them back on Earth, garbage world or any other version of it, either. They belong on the Dwarf and should stay there.

Pembers likes this.
  2. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

it's always weird to think about an episode where they actually get back to Earth- as early as Future Echoes it was shown that Lister was still on Red Dwarf at the age of 170. it's pretty much inevitable that he stays forever

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Awesome, this sounds like he's strongly considering it...which is the exact opposite of what he's said in other interviews. How confusing.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

You mean inevitable like the way he's destined to grow that beard and marry Kochanski as shown in Stasis Leak? ;-)

5. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I would hate for an ending to ever happen. I know it has to at some point because of the actors but it would just be so sad...:crying:. Also, what if it wasn’t a good ending? Imagine being left with that!?

6. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

While that sounds good, what would be the point? If it can do that, then Red Dwarf should be able to carry on anyway, and I think we would all rather RD to carry on than something to do with it, but not RD its self... if that makes any sense.

7. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

To be honest, I only put that stuff because the discussion reminded me of a fanfic I wrote years ago that was much like this. I don't think it would work in the show.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I suspect even the characterts will reject any happy ending they get and the show will just end with them on the dwarf still.

Thats the impression i get from doug, its the safer bet to wink to an ending with hint of conclusion but not follow through with it fully and keep fans happy.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  9. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

That was the case for ten years.

Asclepius likes this.
  10. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Yes, but the difference is that it would be definite as last time there was still a possibility... Anyway, I think when they do do the final episode it should be a classic style one, set on Red Dwarf only and just the four of them. I know it’s a long shot but maybe they could get Rob Grant join in with the last one?