The "Explain That" episode wish list!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by HO HO HO I'M JMC, Jul 1, 2017.

1. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

A sister thread for "Explain That". Post ideas for fan-pleasing episodes to clear up, once and for all, points of confusion from the Red Dwarf universe.

Holojack. Rimmer's light bee is damaged, and he is chafing at having to use the old holo-cage when roaming. Approaching a space station, Kryten remarks that the light bee won't be required, as the station has hard light projectors, with superior "predictive AI" that he hasn't seen before. Also, the holo-network is wide open.

Unfortunately, it turns out the predictive AI has gone insane. As soon as Rimmer is transferred to the host projectors, it takes him hostage, and the Dwarfers have to rescue him.

2. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I'd actually want to see that one!!

HO HO HO I'M JMC likes this.
  3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Bombays Away. The two pieces of bombay aloo that evolved into a progressive folk duo after Lister dropped them down the service shaft several millennia ago decide they're ready to go on tour. They give us a flashback of their evolution, in which we find out they evolved while the crew were in stasis for four thousand years to turn around in Series I-II. The crew drop them off on a GELF moon, where the GELFs helpfully explain precisely how they got there.

4. HO HO HO I'M JMC

My Two Appendices. A heartwarming American sitcom about two very different organs, trying to raise one plucky Lister between them.

The first appendix is fun and creative; the other is reliable but uptight. Both had been lovers of Lister's mum, so neither knows which is the biological appendix.

When the mother dies, a judge shocks everyone by awarding them JOINT custody of his intestines. The only thing they have in common is their love for Lister - so can they make it work, for his sake?

5. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Future Imperfect. An episode - any episode - about time travel. The only requirement is that there should be a scene where Lister remarks that the future isn't fixed, because he was meant to marry Kochanski, and didn't. During this scene, it should be explained that the time-travelling future Lister from Stasis Leak was an earlier version of the brain-in-a-jar Lister from Out of Time, so the marriage never happened accordingly. Also, it should be explained that Lister's brief affair with Kochanski was meant to be a secret, and he was still honouring that in series one and two.

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Begging the Question. The crew have just realised that the BEGG chief in Entangled said he ate someone from an English boarding school three million years into deep-space and they didn't express any interest in clarifying how this was possible and if it meant there was someone from Earth still alive in deep-space recently. So they turn around and go back to ask him, going into stasis again. But this time, Lister clarifies that will only be a few months like last time, because Kochanski is still out there.

7. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Aw, Deep Space. You and your boarding school gag :-)

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Hollow Ship. The crew encounter the holoship again, and they ask how it is that Rimmer is hardlight now. He tells them about Legion, and they explain the whole softlight/hardlight thing. While they're at it, they each express some sort of interest in what each other are doing out there and when the last time they contacted Earth was.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    FeeBeeBells likes this.
  9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

You know I'm right.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Stopped clock. Lister realises that it's been way more than five years since his future self told him he'd find another way to go back in time in five years. So he figures, why not just go through the Stasis Leak again. This time, someone comments about how the clock had stopped in 2077 and the JMC were too cheap to ever fix it.

FeeBeeBells and Callisto252 like this.
  11. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

In the same episode, Lister admits that he claimed to have "just turned 28" for about 10 years. He jokes about the fact that Kochanski has similarly "just turned 31" (despite being about 45).

The Time Drive Teleporter Amalgamation
    Ironic Big Bang Theory-esque title. The crew rediscover the time drive, only this time Kryten explains how he reconfigured the device to incorporate technology from the teleporter, thus allowing them to travel anywhere and anywhen (as they inexplicably did previously). They have an adventure in time and space.

12. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Now I'm wondering what happens when hardlight and softlight holograms touch one another - possibly they can't? Events in this episode may take a very different (and for Rimmer, rather frustrating) turn to the original encounter...

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  13. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

First Technician: In another bonkers adventure we find out where the first technician/s was/were when the drive plate needed mending and why Rimmer nor anyone else ever mentions them.

FeeBeeBells and HO HO HO I'M JMC like this.
  14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Ashes to Ashes. The crew encounter another ship full of skeletons. In a rare moment of reasonable observation, Lister asks why it was piles of dust on Red Dwarf, but skeletons on most other ships and a full body with blood and organs in Psirens. Kryten helpfully explains, and we also find out why Olaf Petersen's ashes were in the drive room when he was the catering officer and isn't shown in the drive-room in the flashback.

Dear Diaries: Lister finds something remarkable in Rimmer's diary - again - and the crew clarifies that "Rimmer's diary" is at least two different diaries. In Me2 Rimmer's diary was mostly empty and in Stasis Leak Rimmer's diary has detailed content and is clearly a different book, plus the dates of the accident don't match up. A madcap time-travel adventure happens where we get the precise date of the accident, and an explanation as to why they were having a 1990s nostalgia night when they never experienced the 1990s.

Space Surprise: Someone - anyone - acts surprised to meet the only human in the universe and asks a few questions.

FeeBeeBells and HO HO HO I'M JMC like this.
  15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Oranges: The crew get bored and decide to pop back to 1st century Britain in the Rejuvenation Shower. This time they remember to put the battery in the returner remote. Lister makes the observation that it seems weird that it has a returner remote given it wasn't designed to take people anywhere. He further makes the observation that it was quite the stroke of luck Kryten had the returner remote in his hand for no reason at the time they used it. They decide they want to catch up with Jesus of Caesarea, but can't be bothered walking across the entire Roman Empire like last time, so Lister suggests taking the time-drive/teleporter/matter-paddle to teleport them to India. Then Kryten makes the observation that given India wasn't part of the Roman Empire, it was weird that there were Roman soldiers trying to arrest Jesus of Caesarea, and what were they arresting him for anyway. He further suggests they could just use the time-drive directly and bypass the Rejuvenation Shower. Lister then asks why, given the time-drive can do spatial-travel, why can't they just use the time-drive to go back to present-day Earth or even 2180 Earth. A reason is given. Something happens to do with oranges. It gets a BAFTA.

16. HO HO HO I'M JMC

How about someone makes a passing reference to their (unsuccessful) attempts to get "another fix" on the trackable signature from her Starbug's deep sleep unit?

If they had reason to believe she was in deep sleep, that would explain a) their happiness to go into stasis and b) Lister's remark about her age in Entangled.

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Fix two plot-holes with one comment. I hope you watching this, Doug.

18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Mind you, if they didn't have a fix on her deep-sleep unit, then they couldn't be sure she was still in deep-sleep.

19. HO HO HO I'M JMC

I would like Hollow Ship to clarify that Legion's invention never came to light, but other inventors found it independently.

A nice nod to the show's mythos would be to have a 22nd Century genius meet a time-travelling Ace Rimmer, and then, after seeing his light bee once, work out how to rebuild it - Miserere-style. That would neatly explain why Howard, a contemporary of Rimmer, was hard-light in Trojan. The past has been changed by time-travel, and Legion's innovation now predates him.

As for the crew of the Enlightenment, there was no need for them to be hard light. In fact, as "holo-chauvinists", they scoff at the idea of interacting with anything other than fellow holograms, and the furniture of their well-appointed holo-environment.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    FeeBeeBells likes this.
  20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

My personal theory is that hard-light did go public, but was discontinued because when hardlight holograms got uppity and formed trade unions and civil rights groups, you couldn't ignore them like you could softlight ones.

FeeBeeBells likes this.