The feels

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dibbleysmeghead, May 31, 2016.

1. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Going through another(!) watch through from the beginning and there really are some nice little music segments in series 2.

In "Better Than Life" and "Thanks for the Memory" there's a scene where Rimmer is up in the observation deck and Lister climbs up to talk to him. The little musical interlude there is short, simple and perfectly suited. A very well placed couple of scenes that get me every time.

2. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

That music is also used at the end of 'Queeg' as Holly says goodbye, but I prefer the version in the scenes you mentioned (there's a horrible bit of 80s saxophone in the Queeg one!). You're right, the music gives real emotional heft to those scenes. My favourite piece of incidental music comes from series I though, the waltz version of the theme tune in 'Confidence & Paranoia' - not quite sure why, but it always makes me feel slightly wistful.

Edit: Just remembered, there's also a brass version of the 'observation dome' music in the scene where Rimmer is dreaming about Lise Yates.

3. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Yeah I noticed it was in there as I got to "Queeg" but as you say, not quite as good as the episodes before.

That waltz version of the theme is cool and you hit the nail on the head with wistful.

4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Yes I totally agree about the observation deck music in series 2 - that always gets me, is really apt for the somewhat more emotional scene by RD standards and gives it a dramatic quality.

Howard Goodall is a genius composer of TV music and I am delighted he is still on the RD scene. There's so much great music in RD that's impossible to mention them all.

But for some reason the ones that are most prominent in my head now is the "party" music/confrontation with Hudzen from The Last Day, the Holoship "I really think" scene with Nirvanah Crane music, "Better Dead than Smeg" music obviously, Tikka to Ride music and The Beginning's pay off scene with its victorious, triumphant music (I really enjoy it and it adds to a happy end to a Red Dwarf series for once).

I am a big electronic music fan too so I also love the Brian Eno-esque sounds in series 6 - Rimmerworld I think.

But yeah bottom line there is a great balance between having music in Red Dwarf and just audience laughter and I really hope and expect Howard Goodall to keep it up in the new material!:-)

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

One of the finest 'scores' for me comes in series VII with Stoke me a Clipper, when Lister and Rimmer fly into the ring of Rimmer coffins. Has a real big orchestral feel to it. Turn your speakers up and listen from 0:20 - gives me goosbumps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUmB0sUUSk

6. Callisto252

That is a truly atmospheric piece of music - even though I'm not keen on the whole Rimmer-becoming-Ace storyline, the musical score is great throughout that episode and really lifts it for me. Which reminds me of something I found a while ago...

This is a few years old, so many of you will have already seen it. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I think that only adds to its charm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPx3WKjK3Cg

I don't know why, but it almost brings tears to my eyes - perhaps it's because it's a little bit creaky in places, or maybe it's the idea of those kids giving it their all when they've probably never even seen Red Dwarf. Most probably it's because I'm reminded of my own time in a school orchestra and of how those days have flown - the transience of youth (blub!).

Seriously though, I wonder why there hasn't been a proper recording of this suite - it would be great to hear a professional orchestra's rendition.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Man, me too! How daft is that? I'm sure it's because you set it up, but weird it should affect me similarly.

And aren't Tongue Tied and He's Arnold Rimmer genuinely beautiful pieces of music when you hear them instrumental like this??

This is one of my favourite covers (didn't we do a thread on this?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGuPoh4qqj8

8. Callisto252

That laser harp version is rather brilliant, especially when it kicks in around 1:13. I admit I did google 'laser harp' because I didn't believe it was a real instrument at first (thought he'd pre-recorded it on a synthesiser and was just waving his hands around to look cool!).

Yes, remove the comedy element and it's far easier to appreciate the actual music. I particularly like the 'piano fantasy' version of Tongue Tied that Howard Goodall did recently, think it's still on Spotify. Unexpectedly lovely.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Not heard this. I'll have to go hunt it down.

Can't find it anywhere except on Spotify and it won't work for me! I click the album cover and get a window saying 'opening spotify' and then it just disappears and nothing plays???

10. Callisto252

That's annoying, I've just listened to it on Spotify myself. I was also going to suggest the 'Red Dwarf Piano Fantasy', which is a gorgeous interpretation of the theme tune. I do find Spotify a bit temperamental at times, hope you can get it to work!

Although according to Seb in this thread here it's also on iTunes.