The first episode you watched (and when)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

This topic has probably been done before, but I've had a little look back and can't find it so thought I'd ask anyway. What was the first RD episode you watched, and when?

For me I it was Balance Of Power, and its original air date of the 22nd February 1988 - it was a Monday! A friend had told me that a new sci fi comedy was on on BBC2 and was really funny. So I missed "The End" (which was a little annoying as it gave you the fine details of how everything turned out the way it did) but once I saw Balance Of Power I was hooked.

RAGE

2. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I would have to say it was nearly 10 years ago when a friend from the UK handed my the video...
    I haven't stopped since!

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I honestly can't remember. I was only ten when it first aired and remember some people talking about it in the playground and me thinking it was something to do with roleplaying games (getting mixed up with White Dwarf). It then turned out that my older sister was a fan and when I found out it was set in space my interest was piqued. However at that time my parents wouldn't let me watch TV after 9:00pm so RD (along with blackadder) was considered too risque for me.

I ended up seeing a few episodes though starting I think with Backwards. My sister then leant me the tape of the first three episodes of series 1 and I would watch them over and over again wishing they would repeat those series. After series 6 aired I was finally able to see them taping the repeat run of the entire 6 series to watch again and again.

4. MarleenK

MarleenK Third Technician

I started in 2004.

I watched "The End" first. Then all the episodes in order within a week.

Simple.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That must have averaged you about 7 hours a day! That sounds pretty intense actually. Or are you talking about just watching the first series?

6. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    I distinctly remember accidentally seeing a brief snippet of Parallel Universe back when I was far too young to understand what I was seeing; I remember wondering why there was a black vampire in space! I'm pretty sure it was the first airing as it would correspond to my age at the time, unless it was repeated very soon afterwards.

I was always aware of Red Dwarf, all the way through my childhood, but I never watched it. Like Bedfordfalls, I was not allowed to watch any adult TV right up to my teenage years.

Then, in 1995 when I was about 14, I found a Red Dwarf guide book in the school library and got to reading it. I was fascinated. I then found out that they were repeating every episode on TV and I decided that to Hell with my parents, I was going to watch it.

The first episode I saw all the way through was Timeslides. The second that Rimmer's "complete and utter bastard" line appeared, I knew I had found something special. It may have been the uncontrollable laughter. I made sure to videotape every episode afterwards, the tapes of which I still have, even though I bought all the DVDs ages ago!

7. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

If memory serves me correctly it was Kryten in 2008/7

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Backwards in 1990, the first time it was repeated.

I still don't know the exact date that would have been. Does anyone know?

9. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

The first episode I ever saw was Polymorph. I think I saw it on its original airdate as I'm sure I was about 6 or 7. I remember my dad watching it once or twice, so I watched Polymorph to find out what he was finding so hillarious, and from that day I was hooked. I remember my dad telling me the names of the characters cos I kept calling Kryten 'the Robot.' My mum allowed me to stay up the extra half hour so I could watch it every week :-D and my dad started recording all the episodes of series 4 and 5 on tape so my younger brother could watch them too as he was in bed when it was on. And we both became obsessed, watching the tapes over and over. We watched series 6 when it aired when I was 10 and I think we saw series 1 and 2 after 6, when they were repeated. I was about 10 or 11 when I first saw series 1 and 2 as I was in year 6 and alot of the boys in my class were big fans too at the time. Then I watched series 7 and 8 when they were on tv.

So Ive been a fan for 20 years :-) Sorry that was abit of a long winded answer lol.

10. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I was 10, 10:00 h 1998 Balance of power (Expecting cartoon :-D) And it was first show I watched seriousely

11. archie918

archie918 Second Technician

Was an Xmas prezzie in 2008. Watched the end and was hooked.

12. Scooter

Scooter Third Technician

I watched it from the first airing here. Not too sure exact dates but it would of been 1991 some time i think....:?

13. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I was there from the start

14. Starwithastar

Starwithastar Catering Officer

Can't honestly remember my very first one ever, but (as I'm sure I mentioned in some other thread so forgive me if this sounds familiar), I first became a proper 'watching it every week' (and the repeats if there were any) fan some time around the beginning of series 7 when it was first on TV (January 1997, all the way back when I was in year 8 at school), so I can say I've been a Kochanski (Chloƫ's version) fan from the start. :-) In fact, I turned 13 a week and a day before she first showed up in Ouroboros, according to the TV guide section of a magazine from 1997 I bought on eBay because it had an interview with Chloƫ in. [If I'd been any younger, I probably wouldn't have understood why Kryten's "fantastic" banner in series 8 frustrated her quite as much as it did, lol!]

I obviously went through a bit of a Red Dwarf phase at the age of 13, as I have a notebook from that time containing several Red Dwarf quotes I wrote down as I heard them on the TV (some slightly incorrect as I obviously didn't write them down fast enough and guessed the bits I'd missed!), and the words of the theme song, and some very brief character descriptions such as "Cat - he's vain!" and one that originally said "Kryten - he's pants!" (though I more recently changed it to "he's neurotic!"). Also at about the same time, I did a pretend radio phone-in where I did the voices of the presenter, a not-very-good Kryten, and a fast-speaking Kochanski who sounded rather too much like early-teenage me(!); in which they discussed where salad cream should be stored - I've forgotten which episode featured their arguments about salad cream, but obviously I'd just seen it when that tape was recorded.

However, I must have seen some other episodes prior to getting hooked on series 7, as I can remember certain lines like "FISH!" (Cat with the food dispenser) and "They're all dead, Dave" from longer ago than that, or at least it seems longer ago. Also, if I'd literally started watching at the start of series 7, I wouldn't have known much about Rimmer as he was only in the first two episodes, and I'm sure I'd seen him in at least a few others previously, and felt it was quite good that he wasn't there for most of series 7 because he was annoying.

Incidentally, when I was about to do GCSEs, I remember my form tutor saying something to the class like "Don't be like Rimmer and spend so long on your revision timetable that you don't have time to do any revision"! (I'm pretty sure I only went as far as colour-coding mine so it looked more interesting and I could easily tell which subject was which, though I wrote a quote from the manager in Spiceworld: The Movie across the top of it: "You don't have a life, you have a schedule!" :lol: )

Getting back to the point, I'm pretty sure my mum said they [my parents] watched Red Dwarf when I was quite young (about 6, maybe) so I may have seen it 'in the background' while doing something else, rather than consciously intentionally sitting and watching it, way back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Conclusion: 'proper Dwarfer' since 1997 (if slightly lapsed between when series 8 finished and earlier in 2009 for some reason)...I knew there was SOMETHING I liked about being 13...evidently it was Red Dwarf :-D

15. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Watched it from the start.
    I was a big fan of Friday Night Live which Craig and Chris had appeared on and Chris had also starred in a Ch 4 sketch show I watched regularly.
    I still remember seeing the first trailer, it sounded great, and as I already liked the guys in it I tuned in. Started recording it from series II onwards, then bought the videos as they came out.

The annoying thing was that they never repeated series I and it wasn't released on video until after series III.
    When it finally came out the videos had illustrated covers due to a lack of publicity photo's from the first series I believe.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I saw The End when it first came out. And I didn't like it (although I think I found Hollly's 'grit the path' joke). It actually put me off watching Dwarf until I happened across Marooned which really made me laugh. I don't think I watched it religiously until Series 6 (not due to dislike, I just never got around to it.) I didn't catch up on many of the past episodes until the Red Dwarf night some while back and buyin the DVDs. Weirdly, while I still think The End is one of the weaker episodes, I don't dislike it any more.

17. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

It was in my old house...and I moved in 1994. I dont remember cause I wasnt any more then 5 or 6. It was on the grey set though.

18. caseclosed

caseclosed Skutter

Mid-nineties on Detroit PBS, around when I graduated from college.
    Can't remember which ep I saw first--I might actually have seen them in order.
    Bought pretty much the whole series on VHS by the late 90's (they are probably in my Mom & Dad's basement).
    I had totally forgotten about Red Dwarf, but was recently reminded!

19. MarleenK

MarleenK Third Technician

Nah, I watched a series a day so it was only about 3 hours/day.

20. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

First broadcast of Stoke Me A Clipper.