The first episode you watched (and when)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Maybe my maths is dodgy but the first 6 series would take 3 hours each and the latter two would take 4 hours each. 8 into 7 doesn't go so you must have had at least one marathon day :-)

2. MarleenK

MarleenK Third Technician

Okay okay. Weekend to weekend - a long week :P

3. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I have memories of seeing Series VII as a kid. I definately remember the final scene of 'Stoke Me a Clipper', the golf game and the snog in 'Blue' and 'Epideme' up until Caroline Carmen passes Epideme onto Lister.

The first full episode I think was 'Back in the Red (Part 1)'.

4. hummingbird

hummingbird Third Technician

an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet
    The first broadcast of Backwards.
    I'm not sure of the exact date. I was about 19 or 20 at the time so it must have been 1989/1990 ...?

5. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Similar to Hummingbird, I must have watched the original series 3 broadcasts (1989/1990 sort of time) on the black and white TV I had in my bedroom. I remember thinking the scene in Polymorph where Lister hits himself in the gonads with his baseball bat was the funniest thing I'd ever seen and promptly demonstrated it in the playground the next day.

6. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

A friend of mine had taped the BBC Marathon in 1994. First episode I saw was Season IV's "Meltdown", the battle of the wax droids. I was hooked from that point on, even though Meltdown is probably one of the ones that gets the least views these days. Season IV itself was outstanding - Camille, DNA, Justice, Dimension Jump, Whitehole, all among my favoirte Dwarf episodes.

7. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

Would have been Quarantine when i was about 8 or 9. My dad as sorting through his videotapes and i asked if i could watch them.
    Ever since then i was addicted to them.

8. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

would have to be tikka to ride when it was repeated on one of the many digital channels in about 2003/4. I'm relatively new to dwarf in that respect, but I went out and bought series 1 on dvd and loved it. The I bought the "just the shows vol 1" and bought the 5-8th series seperately. Love them all. :-D

9. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Been there and been hooked since day 1!

10. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

The End, original broadcast 1988, age 23.

My one and only new year resolution this year was to watch an episode a week on Sunday night from beginning to end in order. Slightly ahead of schedule:-D

11. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Hmmm probably Meltdown when it first aired on TV way back when....I was probably about 10/11 maybe, didnt see all of it, just watched it touch n go really as I had no idea what it was LOL! wasn't till season 5 that I actually started watching properly.

12. alishak

alishak Skutter

The first ever bit of Red Dwarf I saw was from Psirens, first airing, I must have been about 7 or 8 and I had a habit of sneaking downstairs to watch telly when I should have been in bed. The first full episode I saw was Legion, I assume a week later, and have been pretty much hooked since then (although the only other series 6 episode I caught at that time was Emohawk: Polymorph II). Legion was also the first episode I saw repeated; I remember being excited at getting to see a new episode, and was annoyed to discover it was one of the very few episodes I'd actually seen (in fact, I think it was also the first episode I saw repeated a third time as well - I used to not like it for this very reason. I do like it now, though, for the record).

13. kitty_cat

kitty_cat Skutter

'bodyswap' series 3. - 1989 i think? i was 4 or 5 when i started watching it!
    found it soooo great, even tho i was only a little 'un and laughed at stuff when i didnt know what it meant! "daddy, whats a smeg head?" lol...
    i loved the Cat (as i was mad on cats, and still am) and didnt understand why Rimmer had an 'H' on his head, which bothered me more than Kryten looking like a chewed up pencil.
    ironically, my 3 yr old watches it and the first series he saw was...3! not sure if it was the same episode but we did buy s3 first.

14. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

One of my earliest memories was when I was about 4 or 5 about 14 years ago, my Uncle got me Series III on VHS, I guess 'Backwards' would have been my first episode then, it is certainly my favourite.
    I did watch VII on original broadcast, well atleast the episode 'Beyond a Joke', I'm pretty sure that was the first I watched on original broadcast. I also remember watching Red Dwarf VIII, in my 7 year old mind I was worried that I'd miss it and so I watched the previous show so I could know that nothing was wrong with the TV, I watched Ground Force for 8 weeks, I sort of enjoyed it too, I have very cear memories of shouting down to my Mum just as Ground Force ended to tell her that Dwarf was about to start so she could watch it aswell while I watched it in her room.

15. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Watched it from the start (or The End) when it was first broadcast, at aged *cough**splutter*een! Alright, I was fourteen. I watched it up to series VII, then drifted away as so many did then. VII is still my least favourite series. But I'm happy to watch it now.

16. matty9896

matty9896 Third Technician

started not long after back to earth. my mate told be about it and i didnt think much of it from wot he was saying. Was bored one night and i thought i might see wot he was banging on about. My first ep was either BTE: Part 3 or Timeslides. Watched repeats on Dave from then on and later bought all of the eps on DVD. Massive fan but never seen a single episode on 1st broadcast.

17. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

You mean, Back to Earth is actually responsible for converting someone into a dwarfer? There are those here who would find that hard to believe (my credulity's taken a bit of a knock from it), but I for one am glad that, while I felt Back to Earth was far from top notch, many people loved it. Right on, bruv!

18. Cepillo

Cepillo Third Technician

The first episode I watched was Holoship. I knew nothing about the show, never heard of it, but saw the series 5 VHS in Woolworths (or somewhere) and liked the title "Red Dwarf" so I bought it. Rough guess, this was about 1994. RD was the first show I became a genuine fan of, a fanboy, if you will, there have been many since, but I frequently return to the Dwarf!

19. ALynnL07

ALynnL07 Third Technician

The first full episode I watched was "The End", just this year, actually! I'd been watching other RD clips from scattered episodes before then on the Youtube channel because a friend of mine was a HUGE fan and she kept linking me. I saw enough to get interested, and decided "I better watch this in order, so the first episode comes first."

20. charlene_1982

charlene_1982 Third Technician

My first full episode was 2003, I think. I watched "Kryten", it was the free episode they gave away with a newspaper to market series 2 being released on DVD.

At the time the show was on my boyfriend watched it all the time and he tried to explain it but I really didn't like the sound of it, especially when he described it as science fiction then showed me the western part of Gunmen of the Apocalypse, it didn't make any sense. I can vaguely remember watching a little bit of an episode of series 7 thinking "But I thought the crew all died and there was a hologram in it?"

I think I'm unusual as an RD fan goes in that I read the books before I saw the show.