The first episode you watched (and when)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Dec 16, 2009.

1. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

That would have been cool to use ur imagination to picture the wunderful world off RD

You're lucky to have that experience

2. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

Balance of Power - many years ago. My ex-boyfriend invited me to watch a PBS pledge drive marathon of Red Dwarf episodes with him (whenever PBS needs money, they run a marathon of awesome British "cult following" shows such as Blackadder and Red Dwarf, episodes interspersed with pleas for cash). Within 10 minutes, I was hooked for life. My Red Dwarf obsession has flared up periodically over the years ever since, and was recently reignited when a friend loaned me Back to Earth, which I hadn't seen until last week.

3. teresap989

teresap989 Skutter

Similar to Hummingbird, I must have watched the original series 3 broadcasts (1989/1990 sort of time) on the black and white TV I had in my bedroom. I remember thinking the scene in Polymorph where Lister hits himself in the gonads with his baseball bat was the funniest thing I'd ever seen and promptly demonstrated it in the playground the next day.

4. popcorn34

popcorn34 Third Technician

The first time I watched Red Dwarf was when I was about 4 and I was going down to visit my family members in England.I believe it was a tape of the Smeg ups as I remember seeing Kryten talking into a camera.The first real episode I actually watched was Only the Good - I remember watching the scene where Rimmer and Lister get drunk in their cell and laughing until I had tears in my eyes.

5. notkristina

notkristina Skutter

I caught "Marooned" on late-night PBS when I was 16 or 17, sometime in the late ‘90s. I stayed up every night after that because they were airing all the episodes in order, and after they'd aired all of Series VIII, they started over and I finally got to see the early episodes I had missed. When it came back around, "Marooned" was new to me again, because I hadn't realized how much I didn't understand about the characters. I think the first time I watched it, I had figured Rimmer was probably basically an okay guy.

6. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

I remember the first time I saw it would have been around 1999 or 2000 when I was about seven, but that is a very vivid memory I couldn’t even say which episode it was maybe the end of series six. However the first time I remember properly watching it was mid to late 2008, it was when we got our first set top box with all of the new digital channels I remember the first episode I saw was ‘balance of power’ and seeing the cat continually asking for fish. And since then I have been hooked on it, I can still remember when every episode I saw was the first time I saw it. But I still love it even though I’ve seen it endlessly.

7. notkristina

notkristina Skutter

To this day, my boyfriend and I demand fish from the kitchen in the style of the Cat.

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Skutter

First episode I watched was, well the first episode, think it was called the End, love the irony in that :-) and it was only about a month or so ago. I watched all 8 seasons in 2 days (just over that if u count back to earth) and then I watched up to season 6 again! I loved it so much and I was sad 'cause there's no more so I read all 4 novels in just over a week and now I have no more red dwarf to watch :-( so I'm going to watch Andromeda :-)

9. buelljack

buelljack Skutter

i remember stopping up 'late' as a kid to watch the inqusitor it was that episode that got me hooked, i remember i had a tape which jumped series depending on what was on and when accross series 5 and 6, until the dvd's i was sure the inquisitor was in series 6! my tape went inquisitor, terrorform, psirens & out of time i think,

watched that til it finally broke!

10. devobd

devobd Skutter

a friend showed me it in 2008.. i watched maybe 3eps wasn't that turned onto it (he was half-way through watching it i think it was season 4 he showed me had it been one or two..) then i saw it on netflix a few weeks back and fell in love.. but wow did season 7-8 suck probly never going to re watch those eps ever.. i really think they needed to bring a girl for lister since season 3 but they just did it all wrong not to mention what happened to rimmer..

11. flowevenly

flowevenly Skutter

I can't exactly recall what episode was my first, but I know it was one of either season 1 or 2. I am an american, so we got the shows a bit later on then you guys. But it was in the early 90's and where I lived we only got two channels and one of them was PBS (public broadcasting station) and they would show red dwarf ever saturday at 11:30 pm (right after are you being served (another great show)). And I remember being 10 years old staying up every saturday to watch red dwarf!

12. squeakie

squeakie Third Technician

I think it was the one where Ace Rimmer first appeared.

13. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

for me it was body swap in 1997 on san diego's pbs station at 2 am on a saturday night. not quite sober and red dwarf was just perfect.

14. isopod

isopod Second Technician

The first episode I saw was Stasis Leak when it first aired back in the late '80's.

15. mrpezzer

mrpezzer Third Technician

For me it was 'Justice' in the original run of series 4 in the UK. It still remains one of my favorite episodes, if not my favorite. I think after that I saw series 4 in random order or parts of it before series 5 was aired and watched religiously and went on to buy all the VHS's to catch up with what I had missed.

...would love to be able to erase my memory of them all and watch again fresh. :-D

16. Trunkneck

Trunkneck Skutter

The first time I saw RD was an accident. I was thumbing through the TV stations on cable and found a scifi show (RD) that was airing on PBS (Public Broadcasting Station in the USA). The first thing I noticed was the accents and knew this was not your common American serial. After one show I was hooked. I had a hard time finding it anywhere on TV after that... as the show matured and in fact ended. the DVD's became available and I bought 1 through 8. By far the most valued "Set" in my entire collection.

17. J_Steeder

J_Steeder Third Technician

I actually came across Red Dwarf totally by accident back in 2003 when WYIN was also carrying Doctor Who so I punched in Red Dwarf and I first saw Balance of Power I knew I was hooked on the series.

18. smeh_1990

smeh_1990 Skutter

My first memory of Red Dwarf was Queeg ... I remember about my weekend in my writing book at school (we did this every Monday) and i remember writing about Lister losing his pea, and it falling in his dirty sock basket.

19. GARNER2015

GARNER2015 Third Technician

I first watched the episode 'kryten' when i was 5.

20. carparkattendant

carparkattendant Third Technician

I think it was the restaurant scene in Better Than Life on the original run in 1988. We managed to videotape Queeg before the end of series 2 and watched the tape endlessly all the year leading up to series 3. I've loved Red Dwarf for nearly 24 years and have been there on first transmission with my Red Dwarf flag every time. Ruddy heck.