The first episode you watched (and when)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Dec 16, 2009.

1. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I watched most of them about two or three years ago, I can't remember which ones and if they were in order, and was addicted to them. Then I stopped watching them (I was borrowing them and had to give them back) until about a year ago when I found them again, I have watched them in order and am now addicted again.:-D

2. 96SmegHead

96SmegHead Third Technician

The first bit of Red Dwarf I saw was a brief part of Emohawk - Polymorph II at my friend's house. Having not seen the first episode, I didn't understand what the smeg was going on and didn't watch anything to do with it. In late 2010, I watched The End and found myself hooked, eventually becoming a hardcore fan this year. :-D Now I'm awaiting the arrival of series X on our screens.

3. Bradster

Bradster Skutter

Had seen a bit of it on and off and decided I didn't understand it! Was on holiday one day in Devon and it was the only thing on. It was a repeat of Camille in 1992. Found it hilarious and went and bought the series 2 (first half) video the next day. Being unfamiliar with the show still I didn't even notice the cheaper grey sets!

4. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Balance of Power, during the 1990s repeats when I would have been about ten. Hooked ever since!

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

*Feels ancient*

6. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I 'think' it was 'Backward's' on its original airdate in 1989. I was very very young and I dont think my parents let me watch 1 and 2 originally but I remember watching III,IV,V,VI,VII, and part of VIII as broadcast. (cant remember how and why I missed some of VIII:-(?

7. Reznor

Reznor Guest

oh wow it was statis leak
    way way back in grade 6 i think it was on the kmts PBS marathon i was sick for 3 days and watched it all then it looped watched it all again was hooked ever since, i still have a vhs recording of the time lister and kry went to seattle and did the marathon soooo good. :-)

8. danam22315

danam22315 Second Technician

As I have stated before on this board, I discovered Red Dwarf quite by accident. I was flipping around the channels (as you do), when I saw the end of an episode (I don't know which one). I heard the end music ("It's cold ouside/ There's no kind of atmosphere...") and I thought 'That looks interesting.'
    I am not sure which episode it was, but I think it was 'Better Than Life'.
    I thought "A comedy space show. I've never seen that before.", and I was immediately hooked!
    I started taping the shows immediately (I still have the tapes, which still have the original old commercials.).

RD forever!

Lister (To Rimmer) : "Get out of town. Your nickname was never Ace. Maybe Ace-Hole"

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

For me I can remember coming home one winter after having performed in the school christmas play and catching the last five minutes or so of Marooned on SSVC in Germany, that would have been winter 1989... ...and I've been hooked ever since.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Thanks to the BBC Genome Project I've finally found the answer to this. The 4th of October 1990 was the day I became a Red Dwarf fan.

11. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Episode 1, 15 February 1988...8)

12. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Demons and angels first airing.

13. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

The End, about one year ago, almost exactly. I started watching sometime last October. :-)

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

My very first RD experience was seeing a scene from 'Stasis Leak' on it's original air date (27th Sepemeber, 1998 ) after walking into my friend's living room, only to be told to leave by his older brother who wanted to be alone with his girlfriend. So we went upstairs to watch it but couldn't get a reception on my friend's black and white portable. I'm not sure which specific scene it was I saw but I know it had Cat and Lister in it.

The following week (4th October, 1988 ) I stayed home to watch the next episode 'Queeg' and smegging loved it. And it's still one of my favourites to this day. Although I was later a little disappointed that we never saw Queeg again. As was the case when I realised we would likely never see the Parallel Universe female opposites again. That was a bit of a blow when I first sat down to watch series 3. Although having said that, it was only after watching and enjoying the diversity of the first three episodes of series 3 that I knew I was a true Dwarfer for life. I missed episode 4 ['Time Slides'] and didn't manage to record it, but I would watch all the other series 3 episodes over and over again. :-)

15. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

Freeborn has reminded me. The first episode I "watched" was technically years ago. I would have been about nineteen and living with my boyfriend at the time in Canada. He tried to show me a random episode of Red Dwarf and I only half paid attention to it. It was from somewhere in the middle of the series because I'm pretty sure Kryten was present. I had no idea what was going on and was completely confused by the Cat.

"Why is one member of the crew a vampire?"

"He's not a vampire, he's a cat."

"What do you mean he's a cat?"

"It's hard to explain."

"..."

If he'd shown me the first episode to start with, it would have made SO much more sense and I probably would have fallen in love with it much sooner. I think he showed me a random episode though that just happened to be playing on tv at the time, so I don't even think I got to see the episode from the beginning. Too bad I don't remember enough of it to even guess as-to what episode it was.

Even with that early exposure, I still consider "The End" to be the first episode I REALLY watched. :-)

16. RDFan88

RDFan88 Third Technician

I think the very episode I remembered watching was Backwards from Series 3 (of course) and I think I remembered watching it from some old video tapes that my cousin lent me as he is a red dwarf fanatic too and I was 16 at the time. :-)

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

You know, I can't remember for the life of me which one it was... :?

18. seanyp94

seanyp94 Third Technician

I remember, the first ever episode of Red Dwarf I ever watched was "Backwards". I remember being upset over something or other and my dad decided to put this on to cheer me up and I thought it was hilarious! Thus my love for Red Dwarf was born...

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I haven't the vaguest, on either account.

At a guess, 2006-2009, probably. I do know I never really had any interest during the series' original run, but somehow fell in love with it through repeats much later.

20. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

For me, my first episode that I watched was in 1994. My dad had got the Red Dwarf series one VHS releases for Christmas 1993. He started watching them in the new year and I caught some of an episode he was watching (think it was "The End."). I then watched all of series one myself and used my pocket money:lol: to buy series two, three (received byte one as a birthday present) and four.

I love watching the classic original run now but I will never forget the first time I watched those episodes. Impeccably brilliant comedy and great sci-fi stories. Not a line wasted.

But still I do love watching those Red Dwarf episodes again now - though I do leave it about three years between watching the classic series each time to keep it fresh. And three years will be in 2015 so Happy New Year!:-D