The future

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by wavesd, Nov 3, 2017.

1. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Le futur; el futuro; die Zeit, danach dieser Zeit liegt, in der wir jetzt existieren; the future.

I was happy after series 10, I thought that was some really good work; perhaps I was thinking in some ways it was a nice victory lap; but now we are running toward the conclusion of 12 really good episodes in series XI an XII - I think that all of the cast have been on top form, they have had some great guests and the proddy values are wonderful.

I am certain this will have been touched upon in other threads, so forgive me if I am treading on anyone's toes/necro posting.

Where do we think we are going next? The RD team (cast and crew) are so talented, I can't imagine them not being on the TV. Or to put is another way, I would hate to see such obvious talent overlooked for cooking or singing competitions.

I would like to see production green lighted on XIII and XIV for next year.

I know there have been murmurings about a Brittas project of some kind. Great.

2. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

At least one more series has to be in the bag, surely. For now though I'm just hoping something is done to commerate the 30th anniversary. A feature length special?

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I'm not holding my breath for a 30th anniversary episode/series. It's next year and I just think surely Dave would need to have greenlit production already. Possibly they have but they're keeping it quiet.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  4. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is the writing. If Doug can churn out 6 great scripts then there's no problem. The actors still got it and everything else is still pretty good.
    They just need to keep and eye on those annoying guest characters!!
    I'm hoping we get afew more series, up to 15 would be nice...

5. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Is anyone getting a strange vibe that that this series is building towards something approximating an *actual* ending? The back-references are becoming so strong - with the final scene of 'M-Corp' being the most pointed yet - that it almost feels like a band playing their greatest hits on their farewell tour... and given we *sort of* know we've got even more nostalgia to come with 'Skipper' I am starting to wonder whether there is a sense of XII truly being the last hurrah.

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I agree it feels like they're building up to something very significant in terms of their overall odyssey. But I've read a few interviews where both cast and crew have said they're interested in doing more, which means more can be done. Doug said in one interview that he doesn't think there will ever be an end, that there will just come a point where no more gets made.

7. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I personally feel Rob Grant and Doug Naylor's writing partnership was like the Lennon and McCartney of TV. Yet Doug Naylor's subsequent writing since they parted ways has been like that pair of Beatles solo careers - a bit/some dross but plenty of great stuff that is up there with the best work they did before they went their separate ways.

What I'm basically saying is that with series 7-12 there has been plenty of great material amongst some not so strong material but I really think series 11 and 12 have been so especially strong largely, that there should be more new Red Dwarf in the future.

As long as the viewing figures are holding up which they are after three so far, Doug can keep coming up with some smart scripts with some new ideas and the cast are committed enough then why should there be no more RD made?

Obviously there will be a last series one day (could even be 12 if Doug changes his mind though hopefully not) and I think the best way for it to go out too would for there not to be a final episode. I think it should end with something like The Beginning or what Skipper sounds like it might end up being too - not a definitive end but a sort of end. The Beginning ends with Rimmer conquering his demonic fake father and saving the other Dwarfers which while could lead on to more Dwarf also feels like a sort of end for it too. If series 10's finale had been the final ever episode even its title would have ironically complimented the first ever episode!

So yeah not a final ever episode I would like to see but a sort of final one is what I would like instead and certainly not depressing like Only the Good... But anyway, I personally feel series 11 and 12 have been very strong enough to warrant more Red Dwarf and there are 2 more episodes to go!

One thing though is it is sad that after being spoilt with new RD for the last couple of years there will be no RD for at least another couple of years...still here's hoping for more new RD!

8. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

We live in a world where some networks can green-light production of a TV series like clockwork, annually. We live in a world where someone like Netflix can commission a second series of something before the first series even aired. I know the output very much depends on Doug being able to write the scripts, but I feel like Red Dwarf gets a raw deal. 30th anniversary is coming up, if stuff has been planned, great. If not, why not? Red Dwarf IX was strong, why did it take 3 years to get to X? Which was also strong, so why did it take 4-5 years to get to XI and XII. What kind of wait are we in for now? A year? Seems unlikely. Ideally I'd have liked XIII and XIV to have been commissioned last year with production starting this year, which would have seen XIII showing in 2018 and XIV in 2019. So we're probably looking at at least two years now which kind of bums me out.

9. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

I'm almost sure series XII won't be last. Doug & cast mention in every interview they'd like to make further series and UKTV likes the show too. I think there's no reason for not continuing.

I also hope they'll make something for 30th anniversary. Special episode would be great, but I won't mind even talk show with characters in their costumes or anything else.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I get the impression Doug & the cast will keep doing Red Dwarf until they're just too old. He's not going to end Red Dwarf and start making another programme, so he'll keep it going till he retires. There's another good decade in it.

Though we'll wait and see what Skipper brings. It feels like a significant episode.

UltraDevotee and SweatyChimpBoy like this.
  11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I dunno about decade but could maybe get another 2 for sure.

Although i wish rob grant would come back to help, its a shame that it seems very unlikely.

12. Matthew Polson

Matthew Polson Third Technician

I have mentioned this on a different page but what I think would be great, because of the fact it turns 30 next year, is to do a massive tour across the UK playing in different venues like what Monty Python did a few years back

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I don't think a live show would ever happen. Bobby would have to remember his lines.

14. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

It would be a complete shame for the show to be ending already, as just three series and a special since the revival is a small number to go out on, and makes it seem hardly having been worth bringing it back and picking back up steam. Also, I think the grand number of back references could also be Doug not thinking of enough new jokes.