The Golden Age of Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Callisto252, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Briany

Briany Skutter

Series I-VI. Grant & Naylor. Within those 6 series, it's impossible to really pick out one series as best. What the first few series lacked in production values, they made up for with character-driven stories and an oddly realistic depiction of being stuck alone in space in terms of the boredom and loneliness. The later series had the snappier writing and interesting villains to face in order to compensate for the fact that the main characters were all pretty well explored by that point. Between either era, though, the show had its heart - something which it lost, in part, when Grant left.

I don't really think that Series VII 'wanted' to happen. The tumult that preceded it should have been an indicator that maybe the series' time had passed. When Chris Barrie, for example, mentioned that he didn't want to do it, that should have been an indicator that the show could not go ahead, at least at that time. Red Dwarf without Rimmer would be like having no Lister. They're both absolutely essential to the series (no disrespect to Chloe Annette, who was very game, to be fair to her).

2. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I find it all watchable, but the golden era is definitely 2-6 for me.

VII has too much wrong with it and VIII has too many embarrassingly bad, cringeworthy moments, it"s so flawed.

3. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I find it all watchable, but the golden era is definitely 2-6 for me.

VII has too much wrong with it and VIII has too many embarrassingly bad, cringeworthy moments, it"s so flawed.

4. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

1-7 for me =) I like a few episodes of 8 but like more of 10 then I do of 8. 7 has grown on me over time.

5. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I agree the golden era was series 2 to 6 for me too. Series 1 the comedy was supreme but really in terms of the stories and concepts it was RD getting going. In fact I prefer watching series 10 over 1 though obviously the early 1988 run is superior to series 7, 8 and BtE.

Series 10 is not mindblowing like 2 to 6 but it is very good, really entertaining and has a fair feel of the show's heyday.

Series 7 and 8 are for me half sensational, half mediocre/poor as you would possibly expect as the Grant Naylor partnership had divided by that point.

BtE is definitely the weakest RD as the humour is quite empty too much of the time but it has grown on me and IMHO it is worth watching for its more dramatic take on RD.

Although series 10, I did think was very good and more like it, it still wasn't vintage so I am hoping that the upcoming new material will bring RD further back to the form of its heyday. Whether it will get a place in the "golden age" I am not sure about as it is so many years on and without the other co-creator/writer but we will see.

I'm really excited now especially with the new pics today (as one of this forum's posters said about the lighting in their excellent set report - the lighting is even better than series 10's and looks even more Dwarfy)! Not long to wait now.

6. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

II to VI were the best for me. Maybe some people forgot some of the great episodes in series II?
    Queeg is up there as one of my favourite ever episodes.

Series VI has the best episodes overall i think, mainly because they are both really funny plus they look great. Earlier series are just as funny, but don't look all that good. Series I doesn't have a lot going for it to be honest, neither does VII. VIII and BTE are barely watchable. X is really good though in my opinion, i still watch it quite often. No outstanding episodes, but Lemons is a good episode. And Entangled. I really love the line when Rimsy gives Listy the accident report forms and Listypoos says "i haven't got time to waste tw@tting about with that!". Classic line :lol:

7. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

I always thought the 'golden age' was series 1-6. It's supposedly 'the golden 36 episodes'. But it's a relative really. for me Any Dwarf episode or series is 'golden age'. Just because it exists. Look at me nudging towards sounding like a philosopher. I should be wearing a turtle neck sweater and smoking a pipe

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

You've expressed that very well about series 10, for me only Fathers and Suns is outstanding the rest are all close but not quite exceptional. Although only 1 for me is genuinely totally superb it's the fact that series 10 as a whole is very good and solid, offering 6 episodes that are like postcards back to all the various previous eras of the show that makes it such a strong series. That's what makes it good is the way it includes all the different styles of RD all in 1 series all on a tight budget.

The only thing I would say though is obviously that for the new material I would hope that it would go up another level again offering more in the way of "outstanding" episodes.

Series 2 I agree too is underrated here (so many great episodes and the start of RD getting truly into its stride with the more sophisticated stories and travelling around etc.) like series 3 but each to their own, fair enough.

9. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Series 3-5. Series 6 was a definite step down in the humour and characterisation.