The google synopsis of Red Dwarf is..well...a bit dodgy.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Jul 30, 2017.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

So I noticed that when you google 'Red Dwarf' on mobile the first thing you see is this synopsis from, I presume, a staffer at Google.

"In this space spoof, Dave Lister (a chicken-soup-machine repairman) is a survivor of a radiation leak on his mining space ship. The problem is that he is the only survivor. But wait ... it gets better. Having come out of suspended animation 3,000,000 years later, Lister only has a holograph of his intolerable dead shipmate, the vain Cat (an evolvement of his former pet), old and senile ship's computer Holly (think HAL with memory loss) and robot Kryten."

While I'm 100% sure that Rimmer isn't a handwritten document and I'm not entirely certain that "evolvement" is the word they were looking for either, do we also need the "but wait...it gets better" part?

I don't know if there is any way for official channels to supply Google with a slightly better written synopsis but I'm kind of disappointed that this may be the first thing some people read when googling the show.

Does anyone know where it was taken from?

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

It's also ambiguous in that when I first read it, I thought they were saying Cat was a hologram.

3. bedfordfalls

Get it right, he's a holoGRAPH! Don't you work for Google? Also isn't Kryten spelled with a 'c'? I'm sure I saw it on a keyring somewhere. ;-)

4. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

I found it a few places, but they all seemed to be quoting Google more than Google was quoting them.

:wave:

Also, Kryten is definitely spelled with a kay, assuming that was a joke.

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

What the smeg is a holograph. Is that what Rimmer's dad was in that message.

6. bedfordfalls

According to google it's "a manuscript handwritten by the person named as its author."

Well, they'd know. :lol:

7. bedfordfalls

I'm guessing this is not the first time people have had to make that assumption about a line from Duct Soup. :-p

8. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I'll be honest I don't care.

Is that rude of me?