The idiot who filmed the filming...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by supercat, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supercat

supercat Console Officer

He might have forgotten, but he shouldn't have put them up in the first place.

2. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Seems that even a public announcement from Doug not to film or use images isn't enough.

YouTube has this massive draw to people who want to be first, and want as many views as possible.
    It's easy to get swallowed up in this constant barrage to report and become a name.

I'm not condoning the actions of the poster, but this won't be the last time it will happen. lets not forget the BTE location picture spoilers. I'm just wondering what would happen if the Sun prints pictures of RDX?
    Would we all call the editor and slam his actions? Or do we accept because it's their job, it's ok.
    I understand it's not as direct as placing visual content on the internet, but if there is a no spoiler policy then this should extend to every aspect of reporting.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i agree the guy was reasonable enough to take them down and admit it was him, lets just be happy about that

he shouldnt of done it, but at same time it could of been much worse!

4. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

In a way I'm glad this has happened now, as this is sending out a signal to any others thinking of such a thing.

Red Dwarf fans should be proud of themselves. I can't think of any other show where this would happen!

5. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

This!

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Is it really so difficult for GNP to mandate that all personal possessions and recording devices are left to one side in a different part of the room to avoid such "accidental" camera waving. This is pretty common at most exam type situations and has never required an enormous security presence AFAIK.

Either that or just make it clear that if you are caught you WILL be ejected and banned from future recordings.

If people can't act sensibly then they don't deserve to be there. Period.

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I know it makes things difficult for TV show producers, but I'm not against the location picture spoilers or anything like that. For me, thats all a part of the fun. Seeing what gets spotted by "Joe Public" and trying to guess what it could mean for the show. The run up to BtE was just full of wild speculations and rumour's were a plenty. It really got my excitement levels up to burstng point....hang on! That sounds 'wrong'. But you know what I mean...

I think if somebody spy's something whilst out and about, provided spoiler tags are used, it should be postable. Giving people the choice to remain spoiler free or not. However, everything so far for RDX has been done behind closed doors with a whole lot of trust. In these cases, that trust should not be betrayed. Especially in light of the tickets being free and the future of a live audioence possibly in the balance...

All of that said though, it would have been nice if Carbug had been a total surprise.....maybe I'm just talking crap.....I usually do...

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm actually glad they don't do that. I think just saying "Please don't film/take pictures." should be enough. (In fact, from what I've read elsewhere, one guy was actually allowed to take pictures as long as he didn't post them on-line.) I know it's taking a chance, and there'll often be an 'erbert* who will bend the rules, but I think trust is a good thing. This is meant to be entertainment after all.

And so far the fans have been pretty trustworthy overall.

*No affront meant on the chap who posted the film of Danny then took it down. He came clean and removed the material when asked. Fair dos - no harm done.

9. adelesilva

adelesilva Skutter

Well there was that "review" at G & T that unecessaceraly predjudiced people against a joke by calling it "weak observational humour".

"idiot" is an ableist term by the way.

10. supercat

supercat Console Officer

It's also a term used to describe people who do silly things. Language evolves. And let us not forget that I used 'idiot' when I thought it was a wind up. Not that I should have to explain myself... The person in question did an idiotic thing.

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The thing is, I think people respond better to being treated like adults. I've been to film screenings where my phone's been taken off me and I've had to be part of a massive scrum at the end to get it back. And yet I'm there as press, to review the thing, to give it publicity - but I'm being treated like someone who wants to pirate it. All it does is foster resentment.

It appears that, of the 600 people who've been to the recordings so far, around 598 seem to have appreciated being trusted, and have been mature enough not to break that trust. It's true that a couple of people have prized that trust, and the future possibility of audience recordings, less than the attention they get from showing off and sharing information they were asked not to. But they've been pretty quickly and roundly censured for this, making it clear that the majority of fans DON'T want to have things ruined.

So I don't think events such as this warrant such draconian security measures. I think generally, the fans have so far shown they can be trusted, and it should continue.

12. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Are you joking?

13. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

I was lucky enough to go to the first recording and I was astonished that we weren’t asked to check our phones and cameras in at a cloakroom style desk. Something I was well prepared to do and mentioned to others that might happen just to get them prepared for it if necessary, because I saw this being done at a premier/critics screening of a film in a cinema once...
    It was nice not to have to do it but if Dave bring in this policy I hope people will respect their decision - its for the shows well being and thats what we are all interested in. At least it will highlight the issue of not recording to those who miss the small print.

PS: Careful now. Down with this sort of thing...

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Agreed.

I saw that vid on youtube too. The clip of Danny singing tongue tied was the first clip i saw that chap filming, before he was initially caught by the security chap. He was two rows below me and slightly off to the right. I had actually meant to have a quiet and polite word with him after the filming was done, mainly to plead with him to, at very least just keep it to himself, but i lost him amoung the crowd as we began to leave the studio...and i couldn't find my smeggin hat for a while too (it had fallen down the back of the seating area, D'oh!.)

Anyway, damage averted now thankfully.

A little collaboration, mutual respect and trust is certainly required here, on both sides. And we fans must respect that the non spoiler, non filming rules are there for very logical reasons, as has been explained many times now, not least by Doug before the filming began.

And what the (extremely small) minority who feel temped to sectretly film need to recognise, is that these logical rules and the potential consequences if not abided by will actually effect us all in the long term, and thus must be stuck to in a responsible manner. I for one am not a fan of being frisked, having things confiscated or being treated like untrustworthy cattle, but if people (and all it can take is one unfortunately) proove they can't be trusted then i would at least understand the rules and conduct at said events becoming a bit more regimented, which as mentioned really doesn't help to create a nice atmosphere at all. Nor does it bode well for the currently very possible chance of having future series filmed in front of a studio audiance.

Above all, it's plain to see the cast are happier and work better with an audience, So we really don't want to jeopardize that. It's in all of our best interests to stick to these very basic rules really. We must protect the very strong potential of future series being filmed this way.

[blPresidente wrote[/b]
    Agreed. Perhaps it will make others think twice about doing the same (but perhaps not). Although i would also add that i hope this can be the end of this particular matter now. I for one am a little uncomfortable with some of the comments i've seen on twitter, facebook and youtube, a few of which seem to be taking things a little too far, almost verging on incitement for some kind of on-line mob/cyber bullying campaign aimed at this guy, which is pretty ridiculous really, and of which i hope will be ignored (and as much as i love the dude, i don't entirly agree with Danny encouraging people to post the guy's personal information/profile on-line either).

I mean, i don't agree with what this chap did (especially putting it on line at this time) but it's not like he tried to assassinate the crew or anything. And at least the clip has been taken down now by his own 'free will' (as much as is possible ;-)) and seemingly sincere apologies have been made. No harm was intended, and no harm done. And i highly doubt he will be putting any more clips up after the mostly understandable reaction from other fans and crew members.

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

[​IMG] ;-)

16. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

Exactly!

17. timeslip1974

timeslip1974 Skutter

I only posted the clip due to what i thought was the seeminly inocuous nature of the clip, IE danny just singing to the audience between takes, I`d never even consider filming or releasing anything i`d have considered spoilers. Got some serious ammount of hatemail today though! even well after removing the material

18. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

Can people give this guy a break now? He made a mistake but has since made the right move and fixed it. I do understand that it may not be instantly obvious for some that seeing a set in the background, or seeing the cats costume would be a massive spoiler. Of course it is, but it obviously wasn't, well, obvious to him.

This guy is obviously a big fan, and has gone out of his way to explain / apologise, and I think the RD community should now move on... disaster has been avoided. It could have been alot worse!

Go and enjoy yourselfs, grab a smegging beer and enjoy your evening :-)

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

this

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

While I do agree that this should be dropped now the material in question has been removed, and don't condone for a second people sending him "hate mail" (seriously... that's not cool) I will just pick you up on that it was a bit more than just "seeing a bit of set in the background". There was a gallery of pics posted on Facebook, which contained full-on shots of the main sets, and even some with the cast in, i.e. after they'd come out to start filming.

This wasn't just an innocuous "oh I didn't realise there was something spoilery". This was the sharing of information that was specifically requested not to be shared.

Anyway, it's done with now, and I think the poor bloke's had more than enough abuse from his fellow fans. But there IS a reason why people have taken this so seriously. However, if the images don't get any further then I think a line can be drawn under it now, yes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.