The official Doctor Who thread - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by jmc2000, Jul 2, 2017.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Surprised no one dusted this off for the new forum!

Well, I have mixed feelings about Doctor Who at the minute. I think Cappers has been strong in the role, and his first two seasons were great. In fact, his second is a contender for my personal top spot. I thought the Ascildr plot was superb, and regard Heaven Sent as one of the all-time classic episodes.

For individual "Who moments", the speech from The Zygon Inversion has to be Cappers's finest hour, and probably the best bit of acting in the show's revived run. For spine-shivers, the only comparable scene is "take it, take it all" from the (underrated!) Rings of Akhaten.

I haven't been too excited by this series, but I think a) my ardour cooled slightly during the year off and b) I'm just impatient, now, to learn who the new Doctor is, and see what a new show-runner does. RTD and Moffat had two different visions for Who, each with pros and cons. RTD was fresh and modern, very "Cool Britannia": leather jackets, red Chucks, The Weakest Link, modern London - lots of regional accents. His weakness was overblown emotion that wandered, at times, into cringe.

Moffat has been more twee and magical. Snowy settings; steampunk designs; Doctors who dress like Victorian dads, or stern magicians; Narnia- and WWII-inspired adventures. His weakness was convoluted plots which, sometimes, took too long to resolve - especially given that this is meant to be a show for children. The Silence arc ended well, but spanned four calendar years. By the time the mystery was put to bed, fans who heard the phrase aged twelve would have been worrying about their GCSEs, and possibly not paying attention. Perhaps, when a maddening mystery is so prominent, it shouldn't be left to "dangle" for more than a season?

Anyway - I guess I'm just impatient to see whether Chibnall will do something fresh and equally distinctive. I want to see a third major era of New Who, with its own pros and inevitable cons.

Despite that impatience, saying goodbye to Cappers feels weird and premature. I still see him as the "new Doctor", even though he's served for as many seasons as Matt Smith. I've definitely liked him, but haven't had chance to get too attached. And now it's his swansong.

I think the lack of attachment is partly because my emotional journey was more intense with Matt Smith. He was what I call my first "complete Doctor". My formative Who experience was actually David Tennant. When I backtracked to Rose, and watched the episodes in order, there was no fear of the unknown when Ecclestone began to regenerate. But, by the time Matt Smith started, I was very invested in the show, and extremely nervous at the prospect of new Doctor, new companion, new showrunner. When Amy returned to call him "raggedy man", it was like the end of a years-long emotional roller coaster, that began with The Eleventh Hour. The surprisingly good dénouement of the Silence plot - which I'd long since despaired of getting - heightened that feeling immensely (EDIT: given what a big moment that was for me... maybe I should rescind my objection to multi-year mysteries?).

With Cappers, I felt more relaxed about his debut. My fears had been unfounded with Matt Smith, and there wasn't a new showrunner, companion or tonal shift to mark the break. So it hasn't quite compared with my Matt Smith experience.

Anyway - there are some rambling thoughts about Doctor Who!

2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Contributing
    [​IMG]

jmc2000 likes this.
  3. Nikki the Great

Contributing further.

[​IMG]

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I feel Capaldi has been one of the top 5 doctors to date. This series yes hasn't been strong like his previous series it's still been "an ok one". The Christmas special is going to be bittersweet :-(

5. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Will there be actual spoilers in here?

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Spoilers are certainly allowed - hence the title - but the thread might wither on the vine before any are seen.

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I have to say, I am glad to see the last of this series and Capaldi, while I don't think Capaldi himself was a bad Doctor I do think the writing was really really poor and George Doors was, well just pointless.
    New writers for the next series but who will the Doctor be ?

8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

George Doors, lol!

I didn't mind him. I thought it was nice to see a different dynamic, after so much "Doctor + one 21st Century female human". The classic run mixed it up a bit, with multiple companions and non-human ones, so I support the inclusion of George Doors in principle. In practice... I guess I was a bit indifferent to him?

I'm desperate to know!! I heard a rumour that, when Cappers was resisting the regeneration, we would briefly see the face of the next Doctor before he fought it back. That would have been a really fun way to reveal the next actor in the role.

I had to watch the episode late, and got a text from a friend and fellow fan saying, "Bloody bloody bloody bloody hell. Let me know when you've seen it." It was such a reaction that I hoped the rumour was true, and couldn't help being disappointed when I saw it on iPlayer later that night.

9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

In terms of the next Doctor... I'm really hoping it's a woman. I think the change would reinvigorate the franchise.

If it's going to be another white man, I hope it's Kris Marshall. I'll be disappointed by the conservative casting, but he's good-looking and likeable, and I think he'll be good for ratings (unless the writers let him down). Also, I did like him in Death in Paradise.

I worry a bit that he wouldn't have the actorly range for big speeches, when Smith/Capaldi really made them sing. But I might be doing him an injustice there. I haven't seen much of his work.

10. Kittypaws

Okey-dokes! :-) Mind if I keep away for a bit as I haven't seen all of them as they're on my planner. :-)

11. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

No probs - we're absolutely heaving with contributions, as you can see, lol :-)

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Wake up, thread!

They've announced the next Doctor, and it's Jodie Whittaker!!

13. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Chances of Tex Rimmer being the new doctor?

14. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'm happy with the new doctor.

15. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I was hoping it would be Tex Rimmer.

Abe likes this.
  16. Nikki the Great

17. Kittypaws

Well... I've seen them all.