The people's trekkies??

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Apr 15, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Science Officer

See there has being a people's vote anti brexit campaign launched. An interesting definition of people, since the majority voted for brexit, but that's by the by. It'll be interesting to see how much traction this gains and what their overall goal is. I heard Patrick Stewart say his character in star trek would vote in. So if the opinion of a fictional character, in a fictional galaxy, voting for the u.k to remain in Europe isn't a creditable enough reason, then I don't know what is.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Of course Captain Picard would have voted in. The Federation is the EU writ large. I don't quite know what Patrick Stewart thinks we're supposed to do with this information. It's bad enough that actors think we give a smeg what they think about politics, now we're supposed to give a smeg what their characters think too?!

Quick google says this group are talking about having another vote because we don't know what the "deal" is. There's talk of soft Brexit and hard Brexit and there's probably Brexits of various consistencies in between. If there's a vote about soft Brexit and hard Brexit then that seems fair, but the vote about Leave or Remain has happened.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I'm pretty sure they didn't. The majority of those who voted, voted to leave the EU by a fairly slim margin but there was a hugely significant portion who didn't vote. Neither Leave nor Remain got a majority of the total available vote.

Nikki the Great and Abe like this.
  4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I think it goes without saying that when we talk about results of votes, we're talking about people who voted. The majority of the people who voted voted for Brexit.

The original 1975 referendum to stay in the EEC had an even lower turnout.

5. Simonr1978

In either case you can't say that the total majority were in favour or against though, a statistically significant portion either did not care or were not persuaded by either camp. It's a bit disingenuous to say that the majority voted for Brexit without that caveat. Before you ask, yes I'd apply that to any other election or referendum.

Abe likes this.
  6. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Leave. Remain. Dance a tango. I don't know what any of it has got to do with Picard. Bloody actors. Does he even still live here?

7. Simonr1978

Hey, if Connery gets a say in IndyRef, Picard gets a say in Brexit.

8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Searching channels one night, I came in the middle of this programme, clearly a science fiction programme, and at once to my horror and outrage, what I thought I saw was a rip-off of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I was already reaching for the telephone to call my lawyer when something happened that made me laugh, and it was something that certainly would not have happened on The Next Generation. So, I left the telephone where it was and I went on watching, and I think within a few moments I had got what the show was, and I was laughing all the time. For me, what made it then and what continues to make the show so appealing is that it is a tie-in so close to the television series that I recorded for seven years, and so delightfully makes a mock of the kind of show that I was doing. I sometimes wish that we could have introduced some of that same wild ironic humour into The Next Generation.

Simonr1978 likes this.
  9. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

And do NOT get me started on HIM! Urgh!

Simonr1978 likes this.
  10. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I can't wait for the next big debate. Doctor who. Hero or causality hating nut job?

11. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Seems that the Brexit side had more than a little "help" from Cambridge Analytica and a certain Steve Bannon. That in itself would seem to me at least grounds for a reappraisal. But I'm sticking my nose in your all's business there.

As far as Jean Luc Picard is concerned ......
    [​IMG]

12. neilold

neilold Science Officer

you're more than welcome to contribute in any way big ole. The vote itself, as far as I was concerned had equal help from both sides. There were tonnes of debates about it, both in the newspapers, on tv and online, with both sides being biased by certain sections of the media. the strange thing is the furore, in some sectors has not really calmed down, even after the result was announced.

if you found Cambridge analytica annoying, you should have seen the side of a certain bus!!!!

13. BigOleDummy

I don't find Cambridge Analytica annoying, I find them dangerous and unethical not to mention a little scary tbh.

As far as the Brexit thing I PERSONALLY think that something as major, with such potential devastating consequences for both the U.K. AND the E.U. (and the rest of us too) deserves to be looked at very closely which I don't think happened. I think it was rushed without examining what the results entailed both pro and con actually. But that's my opinion on it. I was sad to see it passed actually but again that's me.

14. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I guess we'll see what we shall see

15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I don't think the Cambridge Analytica business means there should be another vote. The vote was legit. What about people whose decision wasn't based on Facebook, why should they have to vote again.

Hundreds of thousands of Facebook users agreed to hand over their personal information to Cambrdige Analytica in a survey. The survey programme collected their data with their consent. But it also collected the data of all their "friends", who hadn't necessarily consented, causing Facebook users to finally realise how creepy Facebook is and to question the wisdom of handing over their personal information to a foreign corporation.

This data was then allegedly used by the Leave campaign to influence voters, I assume with targeted ads and articles. Did the Leave campaign know that not all of the data had been obtained consentually? Even if they did, do we have any concrete data to measure what effect, if any, this had on the vote?

16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

The majority DIDNT vote brexit. That’s the whole problem. The majority who voted, voted brexit.

As a brexit voter (!), I always assumed any final deal would go through parliament given it was a referendum not an election! But yes, any rich celeb endorsement is automatically irritating.

17. neilold

neilold Science Officer

The majority,vas a whole, we cannot say did or didn't vote brexit, the majority of those that voted did though, and that's what the decision was based off.

I don't know why you thought it would go through parliament. If that was the case, they wouldn't have even needed a referendum, just like when they make other parliamentary decisions

18. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

You clearly haven’t understood either of the points I made.

Whether you like it or not @neilold, the majority of the country did NOT vote leave - nor did they vote remain.

I also thought the deal would be debated through parliament because that makes complete sense - to negotiate. I wanted to leave the EU but not have a hard brexit.

What were you voting for exactly?

19. neilold

neilold Science Officer

aah got you now. I assumed you meant the decision of the people would then go through parliament, not the actual process of exit.

I'm not that bothered about whether the majority of the country voted in the final analysis, the majority in said vote went the way I wanted, so I'm happy

20. BigOleDummy

Since we have more than a few admitted "yes" Brexit voters can I ask for the reason(s) for your yea vote? Just curious as I think we are better/stronger when we stand together. If this will derail the thread then I'll start a new one but I think its close enough to fit in.

I went ahead and started another thread about the Brexit thing anyway so I guess you can post any answers to my question there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018