The Plot :(

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by hubbard, Apr 8, 2009.

1. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Is it just me or is the story for these new episodes alittle bit poor?

Coronation Street??
    Meeting Rob Grant to ask him to write the boys more life??
    Set in OUR time??
    Another leviathan like the despair squid??
    They find out they are all made up sci-fi characters and not real??

Hmmmm Im worried myself, I'd rather see a new series with seperate stories like the older series.
    It sounds like 'Back to Reality' from series five but that wouldn't be too original if that's the case, but it could be fake to mislead people before it comes on air, hope so.

Fingers crossed x

2. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I understand you, but I like the real world idea somohow 8)

3. hermanmunster

hermanmunster Skutter

It's new Red Dwarf.. don't complain!!!!!!!! :shock:

4. Holly_Hilly

Holly_Hilly Third Technician

I'm worried too judging by the few plot details that have been revealed. But I have faith in the cast, I doubt they'd agree to the episodes if the script was awful. So I'm still looking forward to the episodes, it's great just seeing the characters on-screen again and anything else is a bonus.

5. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Wow quick replies hehe you all back from work then ;-)

I didn't really like RD series 7 and 8 I gotta admit, I thought the stories were excellent sci-fi fair but very complex with too many 'out there' twists n turns etc..
    I just feel what Im reading about the new specials sounds risky and again too 'out there'. I think they should stick to stories that remain in 'their' time period and maybe alittle more like the old days, less brain scratching plots.

The meeting Mr Grant bit sounds really bad, I hope its not true cos that will ruin the entire premise of RD:shock: they discover in our dimension they are all fake TV characters and their futures depend on Mr Grant to write them more life!! thats too far for me.
    Fingers mightly crossed xxx hehe

6. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

And I remember Robert Llewellyn saying: "The scripts are f---ing brilliant!"

So think twice before you judge.

7. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Where does this meeting Rob Grant idea come from, I haven't heard it said anywhere.:!:

8. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

TO be honest it doesn’t sound very good, the whole fictional characters entering the real world has been done so many times before & yes it does sound too similar to Back To Reality. If they are going to do a 3 part episode it has to be epic surely to warrant the longer running time of a single story? Maybe they’ve gone down this road because it would make it quite cheap to produce, most of the stuff will be them walking around London!!

If indeed this is the plot of the new shows (& it seems like the only way a trip to the corrie set could be shoehorned in) I hope they somehow pull it off, maybe with some fun digs at sci-fi geeks etc, maybe it will deal with a movie version of Red Dwarf in which the characters get killed at the end (this could be where the ‘blade runner’ footage is taken from?) But how on earth this could pave the way for a new series I don’t know, maybe that’s a red herring?

Oh well, we will all find out soon enough but to me Red Dwarf ended with series 6, lets hope the characters give Doug a good talking to about the fiasco that was series 7 & 8!!! Then again, as he is writing this one again without Rob Grant how good will it be?

Maybe I’m being too cynical but to be honest I’d rather Red Dwarf didn’t come back at all if when it does return its smege!