The poor, confused lesser ones

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Abe, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As much as I've come to retrospectively love most of season 7 (I hated it on first broadcast), Stoke Me a Clipper is a poor episode. The medieval jousting tournament is the only highlight. The 'surfing the crocodile' moment, which is deemed 'hilarious' by one of those Twitter users, is what I consider to be Red Dwarf's jump the shark moment.

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

Seeing those replies reminded me of why I abandoned my Twitter account a long time ago. But hey, at least most of them seem to be fans of the show. Way too much grousing about "being/feeling old" for me though.

I kinda agree about the surfing the croc scene being just a little too much, but the whole episode is so over the top that its hard to fault it for that.

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Why, what's wrong with those comments?

I agree with Bluey. Love S7 but the opening to this episode is irritating and silly.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh. I loved the James Bond parody. Sure it was super cheesy but it was supposed to be, and fitted the character of Ace Rimmer well. Was it over the top? Yes. But then again, so is the character.

I wouldn't say that Stoke me a Clipper was a particular favourite episode of series 7*, but that pre-credits bit was one probably my favourite sequence in series 7. Then again, I like parody, and I don't mind a bit of silliness, depending on the kind of silliness.

*I think that would be either Tikka to Ride or Beyond a Joke**.

**Is that controversial? Heh.

6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Perhaps I was in a mood to cringe excessively when I first saw that post, but especially some of the ones about 'which Rimmer returned' and all. I respect that typos occur, but I must say that 'Ref Dwarf' sounds more like a sports sitcom. And I don't even know where to start on the 'I always thought it was 'smoke me a kipper'..." comment, what with the irony of the replier's handle and everything.

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

People are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying when they have different (or should that be "appalling") opinions to you, eh? :roll::roll::roll:

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Stoke me a clipper IMO ruined the character of Ace Rimmer

9. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Ref Dwarf

Dave Lister has possibly played association football/soccer, even if only in a backyard.

10. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

No, it's the unintelligible answers I'm concerned about. And ones which draw from IV as conclusive evidence on this matter.