The USSR Flag/Bulgaria still part of the Eastern Bloc

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Krytens Lost, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Krytens Lost

Krytens Lost Skutter

As TV tropes mentions, Rob and Doug (and the set designer) seem to have assumed that both the Soviet Union and the communist bloc would still be around centur(ies) from now. Even though it was 1988-89?

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

From TV Tropes:
    A poster in Red Dwarf, on board on a ship that left the solar system in either the 21st, 22nd or 23rd century depending on the series, features a rather prominent Soviet flag. There was also an episode in which the characters become convinced they're in Bulgaria, and seem to think it's still part of the Communist bloc.

I assume the ship in question is Red Dwarf itself. If so, so what? It just means there was a Communist onboard. Nazis still pin up the Nazi flag. The episode where they think they're in Bulgaria is Backwards, and I can't remember any references to Communism.

3. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

The poster contained many flags. I assume it was ment to be some international corporation.

It means the Soviet Union will reunite in future under the same flag. ;-)

4. Krytens Lost

Krytens Lost Skutter

I assume that TV Tropes means that Lister's opinion of Bulgaria is very much how a 1980s Westerner would have viewed the then-People's Republic of Bulgaria

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The poster they're talking about was already a vintage poster by the time Red Dwarf was made (it's from World War II) so it's really not much of a leap of imagination to suggest it was being used as a vintage bit of styling in the show's future. It's just a bit of set dressing in the mess hall, after all.

[​IMG]

As for Bulgaria being Communist... well, I don't recall Lister actually saying that at any point in Backwards (the closest is the line about having to be a government official to get a bike that goes forwards), but who's to say that in the future, Bulgaria hasn't become a communist state again?

Pembers and Asclepius like this.
  6. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Heck, even Lister loves our democracy. All nations needn’t yearn.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

The USSR flag isn't the only anachronistic flag on that poster. The Canadian Red Ensign was replaced in 1965.

Bulgaria was still Communist when Backwards was broadcast in 1989. It seems clear from the clothes, vehicles, etc that the Dwarfers have gone to 1989. So I don't see why it's wrong, if I thought I was in late '80s Bulgaria I'd assume it was Communist too because it was.

The real question is why did the worm-hole to a backwards Earth happen to deposit them in the late 1980s which was contemporary for the audience, but for the characters was an arbitrary historical period before they were born.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Maybe that's why Rob and Doug actually went with 1993 as the year travelled to (as mentioned in the cafe when they're reading the newspaper) - perhaps 1989 was too obvious a choice? Same for Stasis Leak perhaps, where 1989 was chosen as the year that Lister really shouldn't go and see 'Run for your Wife' - in actual 1988. I always wondered why they bothered making such a little change, but then again setting things in the very near future is kind of more interesting.

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I forgot they say it's 1993. I guess they must have had this discussion about it being too convenient to have characters from the far-future be accidentally zapped back to Earth and by pure chance land precisely in the year the episode was produced and broadcast. But it needed to be close enough to still look the same.

Lister is no historian and he never actually mentions communism, he just has an attitude that Bulgaria is probably full of cheap goods and corrupt politicians. It's an attitude that we could expect Lister to have.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I think this must be the reason, I've always wondered about it though!

My personal head-canon regarding that poster (well, what you can see of it) is that they still have motivational conferences in the future...

11. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Perhaps that's just a general attitude of the future because it's become commonplace anywhere. It's already starting to be.

12. Rudolph

Rudolph Third Technician

To be honest, the Soviet Union collapsing wasn't someone anyone saw happening. The CIA especially overestimated the state's internal stability and the speed at which it would eventually collapse. A lot of science-fiction set in the future had the Soviet Union still as the dominant power in the East. Even an early episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation would suggest that it was still around.

13. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Nice to see the Czechoslavakian flag here. Czechoslovakia didn't exist during WWII, so it's nice to see we were considered as fighters against nazism. (Or Czechia was, Slovakia was a nazi state...)

Abe likes this.