The Weather Girl

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by yoserian, Feb 19, 2017.

1. yoserian

yoserian First Technician

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

They're not referring to any real-life weather girl, and I fail to understand why you think they are. The 'pointy stick' remark from Lister is used because more often than not attractive women are used to read the weather, and Rimmer's offspring quip is used because there's a stereo-typical view that weather girls are not very intelligent.

I suppose - and this is clutching at straws - the inspiration for the 'offspring' line could have been Ulrika Jonsson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGwdIYph6Q

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think they are referring to any specific lady. I think they are simply joking about the fact weather girls are often young, attractive and quite chirpy. Those two things are sometimes erroneously interpreted as being a bit ditzy... possibly a bit of a bimbo. That's not fair or true of course (actually I think a lot of weather presenters do more than just present the weather. They really know their field. They're highly intelligent and very well educated). I think Rob and Doug were aware of this, of course, but they were playing on the stereotype for their joke.

I don't think they meant to be sexist. I think it's just the image of the offspring of that chirpy looking woman with a big cheesy presenter grin and a village idiot is an amusing image. Maybe.

I'm not sure they'd get away with that gag in modern Dwarf mind.

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

No I didn't, lol. The forum font makes i and I seem virtually identical! :-)

Hard to comment. I'm aware of three references to weather girls in Red Dwarf, all in series 6:

Psirens: "It's the TV weather girl from Channel 27... It's not that easy, Kryten... you can't see what she's doing with her pointy stick!"

Legion: "Can you see him joining in on our late-night sessions of pin-the-pointy-stick-on-the-weather-girl?"

Out of Time: "Forgive me if I'm being thicker than the offspring of a village idiot and a TV weather girl, but..."

I think there are too few references, then, to infer a downward trend in the writer's attitude towards weather girls.

One thing I will say is, all the episodes were written before any of the shows were broadcast. If the writers were offended by the weather girl part-way through, they could have revised the early refs to make them unflattering too.

If it seems odd to have three weather girl gags in the same series, I think that's just a reflection of production pressures:

...so it's not a huge surprise if the writers went for the same cultural reference more than once.

What I find odder are the two references to a "pointy stick". If I google weather girl "pointy stick", all the top results are references to Red Dwarf. If I search Google Images for weather forecast uk 1990s and weather forecast uk 1980s, none of the pictures show a presentation pointer being used (although a suited gent from the 1980s is holding a yellow pencil, which might have have been co-opted for that purpose). So, I don't think "pointy sticks" were strongly associated with weather.

Still, the sense of the allusion is clear. Viewers understand that a pointer can be used in a lecture or visual presentation. And it's no surprise if the writers landed on the same idea more than once, if they wrote the scripts in a short time.

Thanks for raising this - I'd never noticed it as a feature of series 6.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

You did the video correct, but for some reason you must remove the 's' from the 'https' in the address.